Plants and Animals of Kenya, LIST by Allen & Nancy Chartier

  • Gabi Greve
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2006
      This is an amazing pool of information.
      The original is here:

      Kenya & Netherlands
      July 6-23, 2000

      Allen & Nancy Chartier

      Species Accounts
           Plants                                           Abbreviations:
           Spider Relatives                                NP = National Park
           Butterflies                                         GR = Game Reserve
           Beetles                                             Lifers are in boldface,
           Dragonflies & Damselflies                 and unusual species are underlined.
           Amphibians
           Reptiles
           Birds
            Mammals                                      References

      Plants
      Kenya

      Acacia abyssinica

      Flat-top Acacia
      Seen in most of the grassland areas we visited in Kenya.

      Acacia brevispica

      Wait-a-bit Thorn
      Seen at the Masai Mara GR.

      Acacia drepanolobium

      Whistling Thorn
      Seen several places in Kenya.

      Acacia elatior

      River Acacia
      Seen along the river at Samburu GR.

      Acacia lahai

      Red Thorn
      A flat-topped species of tree seen in the Rift Valley.

      Acacia mellifera

      Hook-thorn
      Found at the cliffs near Lake Baringo, where it was quite easy to get stuck, and not so easy to get un-stuck! The field guide describes this species as "a devastatingly thorny species."

      Acacia sieberiana

      Acacia
      A low, flat-topped species of tree seen in the Rift Valley.

      Acacia tortilis

      Umbrella Thorn
      Seen at Nairobi NP and other grasslands.

      Acacia xanthophloea

      Yellow-barked Fever Tree
      Fairly common at the Masai Mara GR and other grasslands.

      Alchemilla fischeri

      A plant with leaves like a cinquefoil seen on Mt. Kenya.

      Aloe graminicola

      Aloe
      Along roadsides in the drier areas in highlands in Kenya.

      Aloe rabaiensis

      Aloe
      Seen in grasslands adjacent to the Masai Mara GR.

      Aloe secundiflora

      Aloe
      A tree-like Aloe seen at the Timau Escarpment and adjacent areas.

      Aloe

      volkensii
      Aloe
      A shrubby Aloe seen at the Timau Escarpment and adjacent areas.

      Caralluma foetida

      A large succulent seen near the Timau Escarpment.

      Carduus keniensis

      Thistle
      A large, very spiny species seen on Mt. Kenya.

      Cassia grantii

      A yellow-flowered tree seen on Mt. Kenya.

      Cassia singueana

      A yellow-flowered tree seen at the Masai Mara GR.

      Crassula pentandra

      Stonecrop
      Common on rocks along the roads on Mt. Kenya.

      Croton dichogamus

      The dominant shrub in the Masai Mara GR.

      Cordia africana

      Large-leaved Cordia
      Seen in wooded areas mainly in the highlands.

      Datura sauveolens

      Angel’s Trumpet
      A small introduced tree, seen in a variety of areas in Kenya.

      Datura stramonium

      A fairly common roadside plant throughout Kenya.

      Delonyx regia

      Flamboyant Tree
      An introduced species seen in a number of locations throughout Kenya.

      Diospyros abyssinica

      Giant Diospyros
      A large forest tree seen along the river at the Masai Mara GR.

      Dracaena ellenbeckiana

      Kedong Dracaena
      This small tree was seen along the road on the way to Samburu GR.

      Dracaena steudneri

      Steudner’s Dracaena
      Seen near the rivers at Samburu GR.

      Erythrina abyssinica

      Flame Tree
      Made famous by the PBS series, "The Flame Trees of Thika", we saw then in a variety of locations, including Thika!

      Euphorbia candelabrum

      Candelabra Tree
      Rather widespread throughout Kenya.

      Euphorbia magnicapsular

        PHOTO
      Euphorbia Tree
      Seen in the Rift Valley, particularly at Lake Naivasha.

      Ficus lutea

      Mumbu
      Seen near the waterfalls at the Thika Blue Post Hotel.

      Hagenia abyssinica

      Hagenia
      A large, widely spreading tree that was a large part of the interesting botanical atmosphere on Mt. Kenya.

      Hyphaene (coriacea) compressa

      Doum Palm
      The only palm in the world with a branched trunk. Seen along rivers at Samburu GR.

      Impatiens burtonii

      A flower that was fairly common at the Kakamega Forest.

      Impatiens hoehnelii

      The commonest flower along the roads and trails on Mt. Kenya, but nowhere else.

      Juniperus procera

      African Pencil Cedar
      Seen only in the higher areas on Mt. Kenya.

      Kniphofia thomsonii

      "Red-hot Poker"
      Seen only on Mt. Kenya, where it was fairly common, and a native species.

      Leonotis mollissima

      Along the roads on the way up to Mt. Kenya.

      Lobelia telekii

      Tree Lobelia
      Although we didn’t get up to the moorlands on Mt. Kenya where this species is abundant, there was one on the grounds of the Naro Moru River Lodge.

      Lupinus princei

      Only a few seen on Mt. Kenya.

      Nymphaea caerula

      Water Lily
      Seen on ponds in areas around Lake Victoria.

      Nymphaea lotus

      Water Lily
      Seen on ponds in areas around Lake Victoria.

      Obetia pinnatifida

      Stinging Nettle Tree
      Seen primarily at Lake Nakuru NP, but seen elsewhere also.

      Pandanus kirkii

      Screw Pine
      Seen along the riversides at Samburu GR

      Pennisetum schimperi

      Wire Grass
      A "weed" in heavily grazed areas of the Masai Mara GR.

      Phoenix reclinata

      Wild Date Palm
      Seen along rivers in most of the grasslands we visited.

      Podocarpus latifolius

      East African Yellow-wood
      Fairly common on Mt. Kenya.

      Polyscias kikuyuensis

      Parasol Tree
      A rather bare-trunked tree seen at the Kakamega Forest.

      Pyrostegia venusta

      Golden Shower
      Seen at a variety of locations in Nairobi and at some of the hotels. A favorite of sunbirds.

      Ricinus communis

      Castor Oil Plant
      A small tree seen in several dry locations in Kenya.

      Sanseveria intermedia

      Sanseveria
      Seen in the rocky areas near the cliff at Lake Baringo.

      Sanseveria suffruticosa

      Sanseveria
      Seen in dry areas throughout Kenya.

      Schefflera actinophylla

      Queensland Umbrella Tree
      Introduced from Australia. Seen on Mt. Kenya.

      Senecio brassica

      Giant Groundsel
      A few of this tree-like composite were seen on Mt. Kenya, even though we didn’t get up to the moorlands where they are dominant species.

      Solanum coagulans

      Fairly common along the roadsides throughout Kenya.

      Solanum incanum

      Sodom Apple
      Fairly common in the Masai Mara GR, and other grasslands. Looks essentially like other members of this genus around the world.

      Spathodea campanulata

      African Tulip Tree
      Seen at a variety of wooded locations throughout Kenya.

      Strychnos usambarensis

      Mutikani
      A tree that was fairly common at the Kakamega Forest.

      Tabernaemontana stapfiana

      Wild Magnolia
      A tree seen on Mt. Kenya.

      Themedea triandra

      Red Oat Grass
      The common grass of the Masai Mara GR, and possibly other areas as well.

      Zanthoxylum gillettii

      African Satinwood
      A large, spiny-barked tree seen at the Kakamega Forest.

      Netherlands

      Centaurium erythraea
      Centaury
      At least one species of this genus, in the Gentian family, was seen at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, The Netherlands.

      Cirsium arvensis

      Thistle sp.
      Seen at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands. Native here but a weed in the U.S.

      Cirsium dissectum

      PHOTO
      Thistle sp.
      A rare species in Netherlands, seen at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve.

      Cirsium vulgare

      Thistle sp.
      Seen at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands. Native here but a weed in the U.S.

      Dactylorhiza maculata

        PHOTO
      Spotted Orchid
      About 100 seen, only a few in bloom, at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Dactylorhiza majalis

        PHOTO
      Reed Orchid
      About 100 seen, only a few in bloom, at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Epilobium angustifolium

      Fireweed
      Seen at a variety of disturbed areas in The Netherlands. The same species as in the U.S.

      Epipactis palustris

        PHOTO
      Wasp Orchid
      Probably more than 2000 seen, all in bloom, at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Euphrasia officinalis

      Eyebright
      Very similar to the North American species with the same English name (E. americana). Seen at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Herminium monorchis

        PHOTO
      Herminium Orchid
      About 50 of this rare orchid was seen, all in bloom, at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Leontodon saxatilis

      A dandelion look-alike at the Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Linum catharticum

      A small white flower at the Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Lythrum salicaria

      Purple Loosestrife
      Seen as mostly single plants at a variety of areas in The Netherlands. A very abundant and destructive weed in the U.S.

      Oenothera

      sp.
      Evening Primrose sp.
      Seen at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Parnassia palustris

      Grass-of-Parnassus
      Seen at the orchid meadow at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands. Very similar to the species in the U.S.

      Phragmites communis

      Common Reed
      Seen at many locations in The Netherlands. A very abundant and destructive weed in the U.S.

      Typha latifolia

      Common Cattail
      Seen at most marslands in The Netherlands, where it is considered a weed. Native to the U.S.

      Spider Relatives
      Windscorpion sp.
      Order: Solifugae
      Several of these interesting creatures, like elongated furry spiders with ten legs, were on the roads and on our porch at the Lake Bogoria Hotel.

      Butterflies
      Kenya

      Citrus Butterfly (Papilio demodocus)
      Seen only at the Kakamega Forest.

      Marshall’s Acraea Mimic

      (Mimacraea marshalli)
      Seen only at the Kakamega Forest.

      African Queen (Danaus chrysippus)
      Mostly seen at Kakamega Forest, but a few in other areas as well.

      Blue-spotted Charaxes

      (Charaxes cithaeron)
      Seen only at the Kakamega Forest.

      Mottled Green

      (Euryphura achlys)
      Seen only at the Kakamega Forest.

      Forest Glade Nymph

      (Aterica galene)
      Seen only at the Kakamega Forest.

      (Catuna crithea)

      Seen only at the Kakamega Forest.

      (Pseudacraea deludens)

      Seen only at the Kakamega Forest.

      Spotted Mother-of-Pearl

      (Salamis anacardii or temora) PHOTO
      Seen in an agricultural area at the Kakamega Forest.

      Golden Pansy

      (Junonia chorimene)
      Seen in an agricultural area at the Kakamega Forest.

      Netherlands

      Wood Satyr

      sp. (Maniola jurtina)
      Seen at Lauwersmeer Reserve.

      Checkerspot

      (?) sp. (Pararge aegeriaPHOTO
      Seen at Lauwersmeer Reserve.

      Peacock (Inalis ioPHOTO
      Seen at Lauwersmeer Reserve.

      Beetles
      Tiger Beetle (Cicindela hybrida)
      Seen in the sandy roads near Sjoestdjik, Netherlands.

      A bright green species, probably in the family Chrysomelidae, was seen and photographed at the Kakamega Forest.  PHOTO

      Dragonflies & Damselflies
      Elegant Forktail (Ishnura elegansPHOTO
      Seen well at the reserves in the Flevopolder, Netherlands.

      Emperor Dragonfly

      (Anax imperator)
      Several seen near Sjoestdjik, Netherlands.

      Amphibians
      Common Toad (Bufo bufo)
      Mostly very young ones seen at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Toad

      sp. (Bufo sp.)
      One seen on the grounds of the Lake Elementaita Lodge, Kenya.

      Common (Brown) Frog

      (Rana temporaria)
      A few seen at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Edible (Green) Frog

      (Rana esculenta)
      A few seen at Lauwersmeer Reserve, Netherlands.

      Some frogs were heard calling in Kenya, but none were seen or identified.

      Reptiles
      Skink sp. (Mabuya sp.)
      First seen around the restrooms near Thompson’s Falls and the entrance to Lake Nakuru NP. Also seen at the Kakamega Forest. Probably more than one species involved.

      Dwarf Gecko

      sp.  (Lygodactylus sp.) PHOTO
      At least two species seen in Kenya, mostly around our lodgings. The ones at Kakamega were more than twice the size of the others.

      Yellow-headed Rock Agama (Stellio nuptaPHOTO
      A very colorful species, blue with red spots and a pale yellowish head, was seen on the Baboon Rocks at Lake Nakuru NP. Also seen (different species?) at the Mara Serena Lodge at the Masai Mara GR.

      Nile Monitor (Varanus niloticus)
      One seen in a small pond at the Masai Mara GR.

      Nile Crocodile

      (Crocodylus niloticusPHOTO
      A medium-sized one was seen at Samburu GR, a couple were on the shore of Lake Baringo, and about four large ones were at the Masai Mara GR.

      Saw-scaled (Carpet) Viper

      (Echis carinatusPHOTO
      One small individual, about 12" long, found under a rock by children near the cliffs near Lake Baringo.

      Rhinoceros Viper

      (Bitis nasicornisPHOTO
      Pointed out to us by Wilberforce, our guide, at the Kakamega Forest. This 6-8 foot individual was roosting about 8 feet up in a small tree right next to the dirt road we were walking along. Apparently, they go up into the trees to digest a meal and hunt on the ground by lying in wait, being very well camouflaged.

      Birds

      A total of 583 species was seen, which includes 348 life birds. In Kenya, 477 species were recorded, and in The Netherlands a total of 116 species was found. Twelve life birds were found in The Netherlands. Allen’s 3500th life bird was the Bar-tailed Trogon, and Nancy’s 3500th was the Montagu’s Harrier. Names used below follow the latest edition of Clements’ world list (June 2000), and where alternate names are listed in the Kenya field guide these are shown in parentheses or the differing taxonomy is discussed in the relevant species account.

      The list of birds is too extensive to display on this page.  Click here to view the bird list and links to bird photos.

      Mammals

      A total of 51 species was seen, which includes 5 species seen in The Netherlands only. Numbers in parentheses indicate the approximate number of individuals recorded.  We used Kingdon’s field guide on the trip, and the names used in these accounts are from that guide, although Kingdon treats some species groups in non-traditional ways, and is sometimes confusing.

      1. Guereza Colobus  PHOTO
      Colobus guereza  (35)
      Heard calling at night on Mt. Kenya (race abyssinicus). Seen well at the Kakamega Forest, where most were found.

      2. Olive Baboon  PHOTO
      Papio anubis  (120)
      Large groups were seen at Nairobi NP, Samburu GR, and Lake Nakuru NP. A few were also at the Masai Mara GR.

      3. Vervet Monkey
      Cercopithecus pygerythrus  (110)
      Seen around many of the game lodges and park entrances. Seen at Nairobi NP, Samburu GR, and the Lake Bogoria Hotel.

      4. Tantalus Monkey
      Cercopithecus tantalus  (20)
      This is the western representative of the Vervet Monkey, sometimes considered conspecific. They were quite pesky at the picnic area where we had lunch at the Masai Mara GR.

      5. Gentle (Sykes) Monkey
      Cercopithecus albogularis  (40)
      Several of the Mt. Kenya race were seen in Mt. Kenya NP and at the Thika Blue Post Hotel. Others of the White-throated race were seen at the Kakamega Forest, where they were most common and easily seen.

      6. Red-tailed Monkey
      Cercopithecus ascanius  (10)
      This beautiful monkey was seen only at the Kakamega Forest, where they were relatively easy to see.

      7. Yellow-winged Bat
      Lavia frons  (6)
      Most were seen catching insects around the lights at the Lake Bogoria Hotel. One was seen in the top of the tree where the White-faced Scops-Owls were roosting near Lake Baringo. A rather large, and all yellow species.

      8. African Hedgehog
      Ateleris albiventris  (1)
      Unfortunately, the only one we saw was a dead one in the talons of a Verreaux’s Eagle-Owl near Lake Baringo.

      9. Cape (Brown) Hare
      Lepus capensis  (2)
      One was in the open grassland of the Masai Mara GR, and the other was near Harlingen, The Netherlands.

      10. European Rabbit
      Oryctolagus cuniculus  (5)
      Netherlands only. A few were seen in open fields throughout.

      11. Unstriped Ground Squirrel
      Xerus rutilus  (1)
      One seen well on the grounds of Samburu Lodge, and another at our lunch stop at the Samburu GR.

      12. Fire-footed Rope Squirrel
      Funisciurus pyrropus  (2)
      Seen at two places at the Kakamega Forest. A colorful little squirrel.

      13. Marsh Cane-Rat
      Thryonomys swinderianus  (10)
      All were seen at a pond among the rice fields near Thompson’s Falls. They looked like large Muskrats or even Capybaras.

      14. Groove-toothed Rat
      Otomys sp.  (5)
      Seen only on Mt. Kenya, this is our best guess on the identity of the large vole-like mammal that we had good views of in several places on our hike up the mountain. There are 12 species in this genus, and there is no information available to help us tell which one we saw.

      15. Black-backed Jackal
      Canis mesomelas  (2)
      Seen along the road just after we left the Masai Mara GR.

      16. Bat-eared Fox
      Otocyon megalotis  (1)
      Seen trotting across the grasslands and entering a burrow at the Masai Mara GR.

      17. Slender Mongoose
      Herpestes sanguinea  (1)
      Seen well at the Samburu GR.

      18. Savannah Mongoose
      Dologale dybowski  (6)
      Seen in one group searching for food among the grass tussocks with a flock of Helmeted Guineafowl at the Samburu GR.

      19. Spotted Hyaena  PHOTO
      Crocuta crocuta  (4)
      One was heard on Mt. Kenya and one was heard from the Mara Serena Lodge. Two were seen well on drives through the Masai Mara GR.

      20. Serval
      Felis serval  (1)
      One jumped out of the grass in front of our van and bounded off out of sight at Nairobi NP.

      21. Leopard
      Panthera pardus  (1)
      Seen at the "feeder" taking bait at the Samburu Lodge.

      22. African Lion  PHOTO
      Panthera leo  (5)
      The first one was a male resting under a tree at Nairobi NP. Two males were seen at the Masai Mara GR on our way in, but since it was getting dark we couldn’t linger long, and there weren’t any photo opportunities. The next day, we saw a female that appeared to be pregnant near the Mara Serena Lodge, and another female was resting in a tributary of the Mara River.

      23. Cheetah  PHOTO
      Acinonyx jubatus  (4)
      A female with three nearly grown cubs was seen at close range at the Masai Mara GR.

      24. Black-necked Rock Hyrax  PHOTO
      Procavia johnstoni  (20)
      The first few were at the Baboon Rocks at Lake Nakuru NP. Also seen at the Masai Mara GR, including two that liked to sit on the porch of our room at the Mara Serena Lodge!

      25. Southern Tree Hyrax  PHOTO
      Dendrohyrax arboreus  (4)
      The first one was found by Nancy on our hike up Mt. Kenya. Others were heard calling outside our room at the Naro Moru River Lodge.

      26. African Elephant  PHOTO
      Loxodonta africana  (43)
      The first ones were seen at Samburu GR, but none seen very close. All others were at the Masai Mara GR. Several were seen right from the entrance to the reserve, though quite distantly. The best views were of the group that came within 50 yards of us when we were on foot at a picnic area near the Mara River. The large female threatened us with a head shake and flaring her ears, quite impressive!

      27. Common Zebra  PHOTO
      Equus quagga  (2,780)
      First seen at Nairobi NP. A single group of eight was seen at Samburu GR where they were unexpected as the next species predominates there. Most were at the Masai Mara GR. Also seen outside the reserve on our drive to Lake Naivasha, and even on the road from the lake to Nairobi.

      28. Grevy’s Zebra  PHOTO
      Equus grevyi  (250)
      All were at Samburu GR, where expected.

      29. Tarpan (Wild Horse)
      Equus caballus  (40)
      Netherlands only. Reintroduced to the Oostvardersplassen Reserve near Lelystad. It isn’t clear whether these are pure-bred from a rediscovered population or back-bred from a variety of sources. They seem to be doing quite well here.

      30. Black Rhinoceros  PHOTO
      Diceros bicornis  (4)
      Essentially reintroduced, but still wild, at Nairobi NP.

      31. White Rhinoceros
      Ceratotherium simum  (3)
      All were at Lake Nakuru NP, where they have been reintroduced after becoming extirpated in Kenya.

      32. Hippopotamus  PHOTO
      Hippopotamus amphibius  (75)
      The first one was rather small, seen at the Hippo Pools at Nairobi NP. Several were in the pond near the rice fields near Thompson’s Falls. A large group was seen at the Masai Mara GR. A few were seen at Lake Baringo and at Lake Naivasha.

      33. Common Warthog  PHOTO
      Phacochoerus africanus  (100)
      Seen in family groups, with the first at Nairobi NP. Many were at Samburu GR, and most were at Lake Nakuru NP, although a good number were at the Masai Mara GR as well.

      34. Roe Deer
      Capreolus capreolus  (4)
      Netherlands only. Seen at the reserves in the Flevopolder.

      35. Red Deer
      Cervus elaphus  (100)
      Netherlands only. All were at the Oostvaardersplassen Reserve in the Flevopolder.

      36. Giraffe  PHOTO
      Giraffa camelopardalis  (67)
      First seen at Nairobi NP, where they were the Masai subspecies. Most common at Samburu GR where we saw the Reticulated subspecies. A few Masai and a couple of Rothschild’s, all reintroduced, were seen at Lake Nakuru NP. Several Masai Giraffes were seen at the Masai Mara GR. A very graceful and photogenic animal.

      37. Aurochs
      Bos taurus  (75)
      Netherlands only. Reintroduced to the Oostvardersplassen Reserve near Lelystad. Has been bred-back from primitive cattle to about 99% pure Aurochs.

      38. African Buffalo  PHOTO
      Syncerus caffer  (630)
      The first few were seen at Nairobi NP. Also seen at Lake Nakuru NP where quite a number seem to have died recently judging by the number of carcasses laying around. Most were at the Masai Mara GR, where we saw one substantial herd. This species is quite impressive up close!

      39. Bushbuck  PHOTO
      Tragelaphus scriptus  (6)
      Four were seen, including one fairly tame, at Nairobi NP. Two were on the drive into Mt. Kenya NP.

      40. Eland
      Taurotragus oryx  (6)
      Four were at Nairobi NP and two at the Masai Mara GR, none approached us very closely.

      41. Suni
      Neotragus moschatus  (2)
      Both were crossing the road at Lake Nakuru NP.

      42. Kirk’s Dikdik  PHOTO
      Madoqua kirkii  (9)
      Most were seen quite well at Samburu GR. One was also at the Masai Mara GR.

      43. Waterbuck
      Kobus ellipsiprymnus  (90)
      First seen at Nairobi NP, and two were unusual in Mt. Kenya NP. Good numbers were at Samburu GR, and Lake Nakuru NP (Defassa Waterbuck). One was seen at the Masai Mara GR.

      44. Thompson’s Gazelle  PHOTO
      Gazella rufifrons  (3,370)
      Common in grassland areas, such as Nairobi NP and the Masai Mara GR. Most were at Masai Mara.

      45. Grant’s Gazelle
      Gazella granti  (925 )
      Seen in more locations, but lower numbers, than the previous species. Seen at Nairobi NP, Samburu GR, Lake Nakuru NP, and the Masai Mara GR. A fair number were seen in semi-civilized areas on our drive out from the Masai Mara.

      46. Gerenuk  PHOTO
      Litrocranius walleri  (35)
      All were at the Samburu GR. Our best looks were on our rushed drive into the reserve. Several were seen feeding in their classic style, standing on their hind legs.

      47. Impala  PHOTO
      Aepyceros melampus  (950)
      Quite widespread, seen primarily at national parks and game reserves, including Nairobi NP, Samburu GR, Lake Nakuru NP, and the Masai Mara GR.

      48. Topi  PHOTO
      Damaliscus lunatus  (200)
      Seen only at the Masai Mara GR. A very handsome antelope.

      49. Kongoni (Coke’s Hartebeest)  PHOTO
      Alcelaphus buselaphus cokei  (350)
      Almost all were at Nairobi NP. Surprisingly, a single was seen at the Masai Mara GR.

      50. Brindled Gnu (Wildebeest)  PHOTO
      Connochaetes taurinus  (75,000)
      A few were at Nairobi NP on our first afternoon. By far, most were at the Masai Mara GR, where the migration was in full swing. It is likely that this number is an underestimate. We stopped at the Mara River to watch them cross. Since there was no water in the river, they were in no danger from crocodiles. Quite a few were seen along the roadsides on the drive out of the Masai Mara GR, and into semi-civilized areas.

      51. Beisa Oryx  PHOTO
      Oryx beisa  (40)
      All were at the Samburu GR, generally in small groups.