14th kukai of Kenya Saijiki -- Kenya National Archives on 18 May 2013

  • Isabelle Prondzynski
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2013
      Dear Patrons, haijin, Gabi sensei and friends,

      We can now look back on a wonderful 14th kukai of Kenya Saijiki. When we held the very first one in November 2006, we would scarcely have thought it possible that, from then on, we would be holding two kukai every year without fail, and that our haiku clubs would move from strength to strength, year after year.

      This kukai was exciting in that it was the first at which the new haiku club, the Parrots, participated, and we want to thank them for having taken that great step into the world of Japanese poetry writing.

      Our adult members, the Cocks and friends, were also well represented, with Antony Njoroge as our Master of Ceremonies and Caleb Mutua as a friend of all the haiku clubs and stimulator of writing and discussions from time to time. Most of the Cocks have to travel far to attend, and we greatly appreciate their commitment and input. They are also helping to spread haiku to new parts of the country and have added now kigo and topics from up-country regions.

      It was Caleb who suggested the Kenya National Archives as a potential venue and went to see for himself whether it would be suitable -- it turned out to be an excellent location for the day.

      This was the kukai where we took haiku recitation to a more advanced level, with haijin reciting their pre-selected poems, which they had rehearsed with energy and commitment. All the poems were recited by heart, without notes, and were received with great applause (a bit too soon!) by the audience. Another step forward has been taken.

      I shall be writing up the kukai some more when I get the necessary time, but meanwhile, I want to thank the Patrons, the teachers and the haijin for an excellent day, which I trust we all enjoyed.

      The ginkoo this time was a bit short, starting only after a guided tour of the National Archives, which the haijin enjoyed thoroughly, as the guide warmed to his subject and his audience and drew them into his stories about the artefacts in the exhibition.

      The prize winning haiku are given below. Congratulations to the winners, and we are looking forward to reading more from you! I have indicated the haiku club and the Form of each prizewinner, but am missing the Forms for two of the Peacocks -- it would be great if you could let me have them please.

      Looking forward already to the next kukai, which is planned for 26 October 2013.

      Have an excellent week, and enjoy the memories of our special day out,

      Isabelle.

      ::::::::::::::::::::

      1.
      ---
      a student
      touches the mask again --
      National Archives

      ~ Susan Wanjiku (Bamboocha, 3)

      2.
      ---
      more dust falls
      from the window pane --
      National Archives

      ~ Jescah Auma (Peacock, 4A)

      3.
      ---
      Kenya Archives --
      bulbs on the ceiling
      multiply my shadow

      ~ Otakwa Livingstones (Peacock, 4B)

      4.
      ---
      midday sun --
      a chokora picks lice from
      his shaggy hair

      ~ Diana Dola (Peacock, 3A)

      5.
      ---
      scorching sun --
      the boda boda men rest
      under a tree

      ~ Dorothy Syombua (Peacock, 1A)

      6.
      ---
      National Archives --
      historical pictures posted
      on the walls

      ~ Winfridah Malesi (Peacock, 4A)

      7.
      ---
      Kenya Archives --
      Murumbi's artefacts
      surprise the haijin

      ~ Emmanuel Mutati (Bamboocha, 4)

      8.
      ---
      roadside music --
      the haijin enjoy the beats
      through the window

      ~ Akaliche Rose (Peacock, 3A)

      9.
      ---
      statue --
      the mother breastfeeds
      her baby

      ~ Margaret Ndinda (Peacock, 4A)

      10.
      ----
      a black pigeon
      lands on the dusty mabati roof --
      ginkoo walk

      ~ Teresia Wanjiku (Peacock, 2A)

      11.
      ----
      matatu touts
      compete for passengers --
      Nairobi city

      ~ Ahomo Felix (Peacock, 2A)

      12.
      ----
      in his akala shoes
      the European man spits --
      Kenya Archives

      ~ John Maina (Peacock, 4A)

      13.
      ----
      crowded haijin --
      mixed laughter rings
      twice in my ears

      ~ Maurine Nafula (Peacock)

      14.
      ----
      slippery floor --
      she misses a step
      touching an artefact

      ~ Beatrice Syombua (Peacock, 3B)

      15.
      ----
      heavy traffic --
      a boda boda strives
      to cross

      ~ Mercy Amunze (Peacock)

      16.
      ----
      Kenyan Archives --
      students bend on an
      old bench

      ~ Derric Ambale (Peacock, 3B)

      17.
      ----
      ginkoo walk --
      two black pigeons play on the
      dusty mabati roof

      ~ Jecintah Wafula (Peacock, 2A)

      18.
      ----
      scorching sun --
      small boy dancing while
      spectators watch

      ~ Susan Njeri (Bamboocha, 3)
    • Greve Gabi
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2013
        Thank you all for this wonderful kukai event!

        I added the information so far, maybe some photos later.
        http://kenyasaijiki.blogspot.jp/2013/05/kukai-may-2013.html

        It is such a pleasure to see your progress!

        Gabi from Japan

        > Dear Patrons, haijin, Gabi sensei and friends,
        >
        > We can now look back on a wonderful 14th kukai of Kenya Saijiki. When we held the very first one in November 2006, we would scarcely have thought it possible that, from then on, we would be holding two kukai every year without fail, and that our haiku clubs would move from strength to strength, year after year.
        >
        > This kukai was exciting in that it was the first at which the new haiku club, the Parrots, participated, and we want to thank them for having taken that great step into the world of Japanese poetry writing.
        >
        > Our adult members, the Cocks and friends, were also well represented, with Antony Njoroge as our Master of Ceremonies and Caleb Mutua as a friend of all the haiku clubs and stimulator of writing and discussions from time to time. Most of the Cocks have to travel far to attend, and we greatly appreciate their commitment and input. They are also helping to spread haiku to new parts of the country and have added now kigo and topics from up-country regions.
        >
        > It was Caleb who suggested the Kenya National Archives as a potential venue and went to see for himself whether it would be suitable -- it turned out to be an excellent location for the day.
        >
        > This was the kukai where we took haiku recitation to a more advanced level, with haijin reciting their pre-selected poems, which they had rehearsed with energy and commitment. All the poems were recited by heart, without notes, and were received with great applause (a bit too soon!) by the audience. Another step forward has been taken.
        >
        > I shall be writing up the kukai some more when I get the necessary time, but meanwhile, I want to thank the Patrons, the teachers and the haijin for an excellent day, which I trust we all enjoyed.
        >
        > The ginkoo this time was a bit short, starting only after a guided tour of the National Archives, which the haijin enjoyed thoroughly, as the guide warmed to his subject and his audience and drew them into his stories about the artefacts in the exhibition.
        >
        > The prize winning haiku are given below. Congratulations to the winners, and we are looking forward to reading more from you! I have indicated the haiku club and the Form of each prizewinner, but am missing the Forms for two of the Peacocks -- it would be great if you could let me have them please.
        >
        > Looking forward already to the next kukai, which is planned for 26 October 2013.
        >
        > Have an excellent week, and enjoy the memories of our special day out,
        >
        > Isabelle.

        snip
        http://kenyasaijiki.blogspot.jp/2013/05/kukai-may-2013.html
      • Stanley Mutinda
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2013
          Dear madam,Gabi Sensei and haijins,
          I'm amused by the haijin's participation in the recently held Kukai.It's quite unfortunate that I was absent.However, I congratulate everybody who took his/her time to attend.We shall be in touch through the online forum and hopefully the next kukai.
          cheers to the cocks who managed to represent us.*:) happy