Komarocks

  • Greve Gabi
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 2012
      > Otinga Andrew wrote:
      >

      > a dishevelled sparrow
      > aiming at a white ant-
      > Komarocks grounds
      >
      > I step on wet
      > open anthill nests-
      > Komarocks

      Dear Andrew,
      Thanks for introducing Komarocks.
      Could someone tell us more about this place? seems a candidate for a
      haiku topic!!

      Greetings from the heat of Japan
      Gabi
    • Otinga Andrew
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2012
        Dear Gabi,Madam,dear all.Thank you for sacrificing your time to comment.Well,Kwomarocks is part of Embakasi.It boarders Kayole and Saika estates.It has a relatively large play ground.It actually was today around ten,I was coming from my friend's house,no sooner had I left than it started raining.I had to cross the field to access a building for shelter.It was when crossing that I was treated to the fine state of affairs.I decided to write down what I observed hence the haiku.God bless you as you enjoy your weekend!
      • Otinga Andrew
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2012
          Dear all.Im sorry I wrote Kwomarocks instead of Komarocks please kindly accept my corrections.
          ------------------------------

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 18, 2012
            Thank you very much for the Information, dear Andrew.
            Gabi

            Otinga Andrew wrote:

            Komarocks is part of Embakasi.It boarders Kayole and Saika estates.It
            has a relatively large play ground.It actually was today around ten,I
            was coming from my friend's house,no sooner had I left than it started
            raining.I had to cross the field to access a building for shelter.It
            was when crossing that I was treated to the fine state of affairs.I
            decided to write down what I observed hence the haiku.

            Komarocks

          • Isabelle Prondzynski
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 18, 2012
              Dear Gabi sensei, dear Andrew and all,

              Komarock (the real name of this housing estate does not have a final
              s, although it it nowadays often used in the plural, i.e. Komarocks)
              is a housing estate in the Eastlands of Nairobi, not far from Kayole,
              where most of our haijin live.

              It is a middle-class area, where many of the early houses (built in
              the late 1980s) were model houses designed and constructed by
              excellent architects -- not large houses, but very well built, all
              alike and adjoining each other.

              We may not have many haiku about Komarock, as we do not often have
              occasion to go there -- but then again, we might, as it is close and
              some of our bus routes take us there, leaving us with just the final
              stretch of road to walk.

              Like any other kigo or topic, we shall need to wait and see whether
              haiku are written using the word, and then we can decide whether it
              can become a topic for our saijiki.

              Greetings to all, whether in hot Japan or cold Kenya at present!

              Isabelle.

              On 18 Aug 2012, at 06:04, Greve Gabi wrote:

              Dear Andrew,
              Thanks for introducing Komarocks.
              Could someone tell us more about this place? seems a candidate for a
              haiku topic!!

              Greetings from the heat of Japan
              Gabi
            • Partrick Wafula
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 19, 2012
                Dear Gabi and Isabelle sensei,
                I would like to contribute to sensei Odinga's Komarock haiku. The name is derived from an Akamba word, koma, which means to sleep. The other word, rock, is the English word, rock. This name came up because Akamba people from Ukambani, who used to trek to Nairobi could rest or sleep there under some rock before proceeding with their trip to Nairobi.

                Patrick
              • Isabelle Prondzynski
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 19, 2012
                  Dear Patrick sensei,

                  Thank you so much for this extra information! I had not known the
                  origin of the name, and am very grateful.

                  Next time I am there, I shall keep an eye open for a suitable rock to
                  sleep under :-) .

                  Best wishes,

                  Isabelle.

                  On 19 Aug 2012, at 20:04, Partrick Wafula wrote:

                  Dear Gabi and Isabelle sensei,
                  I would like to contribute to sensei Odinga's Komarock haiku. The name
                  is derived from an Akamba word, koma, which means to sleep. The other
                  word, rock, is the English word, rock. This name came up because
                  Akamba people from Ukambani, who used to trek to Nairobi could rest or
                  sleep there under some rock before proceeding with their trip to
                  Nairobi.

                  Patrick
                • Patrick Wafula
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 19, 2012
                    Thanks Isabelle san. But you will be disappointed to find no rock to sleep under, as it has probably been long demolished to pave way for the construction of these wonderful moderm estates. But indeed there is still one such rock on a small hill after Komarock on your way to Kangundo. So the rock was not necessarily at the very site where houses are, but some way off in the hills.

                    Patrick.

                    Sent from my iPhone