Skip to search.

Smoke and smog

  • Isabelle Prondzynski
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2011
      Dear all,

      Now that we have talked about fog, there are some similar atmospheric
      phenomena which are much more common in Nairobi and which might
      resemble fog, in that they too inhibit vision.

      We have a lot of smoke -- from charcoal burning, from houses burning
      (so sad...), from old tyres burning, from garbage burning, and much
      more. Sometimes the smoke can get so thick that is becomes very hard
      to see anything and even to breathe.

      And we get smog -- the fumes from pollution, mainly from the exhausts
      of cars, lorries, matatus and buses. Also very dangerous to eyes and
      lungs.

      All of these are haiku topics -- not kigo, as unfortunately they
      happen all year round.

      These are so common in Nairobi that we could collect haiku on them and
      create haiku pages showing what we have observed and written about them.

      They would go well with the topics of sewage and rubbish / garbage
      that Gabi sensei has invited us to observe.

      Have a great week,

      Isabelle.