fog as topic for now

  • Greve Gabi
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
      i would like to know if Fog can be a possible kigo because when i was
      traveling in the here is what i saw

      > morning ride-
      > car lights fade
      > in the fog
      >
      > yamame
      >
      > As we were traveling the on coming vehicle had its lights on but it fades as the distance between us lenghtens

      Dear Yamame and all,

      we have thick fog and lighter mist and haze in Japan in various
      seasons, please look at it here
      http://worldkigodatabase.blogspot.com/2005/06/fog-mist-haze-and-more.html

      Next you need to observe what happens in your region, and by the end
      of the year we will know if it is seasonal or can happen any day.

      It is very interesting to observe weather patterns during one year and
      write haiku about it, so I am looking forward to more FOG in Kenya.
      For now, we keep it as a topic.

      Gabi

      from the archives

      a distant light from
      an approaching lorry-
      morning fog

      Andrew Otinga
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kenyasaijiki/message/3022

      New Year's Eve --
      the lone lime tree is
      lost in the fog

      Caleb?

      foggy morning-
      ducks queuing out of
      duck shelf

      Rhoda
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kenyasaijiki/message/2453
    • Isabelle Prondzynski
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
        Dear Gabi sensei, Yamame san and all,

        You are very right, Yamame san, to ask the question about fog. Gabi
        sensei has already given you the answer that we must watch what is
        happening for a year or so, so that we know whether it is a kigo (do
        we get more fog at some particular time of the year than at others?)
        and if so, we shall know what time of the year it is a kigo.

        Please do so, and let us know what you find out as you observe.

        My own feeling is that fog is very unlikely to be a kigo in Nairobi.
        In all the years I have lived there, I have never once seen fog, at
        any time of year. Perhaps there is fog sometimes very early in the
        morning -- in which case I may still have been asleep!

        My feeling is that, if we do find fog is Kenya, it is likely to be at
        very high altitudes, for instance in Molo or on Mount Kenya or in the
        Aberdares. And there, perhaps we might find it now and again pretty
        much all year round, so that it would not be a kigo but a topic. But
        we shall check and see!

        As regards one of the examples cited :

        New Year's Eve --
        the lone lime tree is
        lost in the fog

        That haiku is mine, and was written in Ireland, where fog is quite
        common and is a kigo around November each year.

        We haiku detectives are hard at work! Let us keep asking ourselves
        what might be a kigo, and what time of year it might be a kigo. In
        that way, we shall create a constantly growing Kenya Saijiki
        (dictionary of kigo in Kenya).

        Have a wonderful week, and looking forward to your haiku,

        Isabelle.

        On 7 Mar 2011, at 06:48, Greve Gabi wrote:

        i would like to know if Fog can be a possible kigo because when i was
        traveling in the here is what i saw

        > morning ride-
        > car lights fade
        > in the fog
        >
        > yamame
        >
        > As we were traveling the on coming vehicle had its lights on but it
        > fades as the distance between us lenghtens

        Dear Yamame and all,

        we have thick fog and lighter mist and haze in Japan in various
        seasons, please look at it here
        http://worldkigodatabase.blogspot.com/2005/06/fog-mist-haze-and-more.html

        Next you need to observe what happens in your region, and by the end
        of the year we will know if it is seasonal or can happen any day.

        It is very interesting to observe weather patterns during one year and
        write haiku about it, so I am looking forward to more FOG in Kenya.
        For now, we keep it as a topic.

        Gabi

        from the archives

        a distant light from
        an approaching lorry-
        morning fog

        Andrew Otinga
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kenyasaijiki/message/3022

        New Year's Eve --
        the lone lime tree is
        lost in the fog

        Caleb?

        foggy morning-
        ducks queuing out of
        duck shelf

        Rhoda
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kenyasaijiki/message/2453

      • Catherine Njeri
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
          Dear Madam,and all,
          I agree with you madam,about fog in Kenya.
          This is what i have noticed.

          We hardly get fog and especially in Nairobi.What happens however,is MIST.This
          hangs around very early in the morning like some ripe banana fruits only to
          clear with the coming of the morning sun.

          Mist again,is experienced when we do have a cold season or with approach of the
          short and long rains,where it can last for the better part of the morning,say
          upto around8A.M.
          You hardly see much,if any,mist in some hot months like January.
          At times the mist is quite thick and one might as well confuse it with Fog.

          I have passed by Molo once during the day.You are right about it all.Fog was
          very much around you could almost touch it..and the bus' windowpanes got
          blurred...way back in my highschool years...

          My suggestion is we have MIST or FOG as a kigo for the cold seasons.Wonder what
          others have observed about this

          hoping we all had a great weekend.
          Thanking God for that,
          Catherine njeri Maina

> [...]

          i would like to know if Fog can be a possible  kigo because when i was
          traveling in the here is what i saw

          > morning ride-
          > car lights fade
          > in the fog
          >
          > yamame
          >
          > As we were traveling the on coming vehicle had its lights on but it
          > fades as the distance between us lenghtens

          Dear Yamame and all,

          we have thick fog and lighter mist and haze in Japan in various
          seasons, please look at it here
          http://worldkigodatabase.blogspot.com/2005/06/fog-mist-haze-and-more.html

          Next you need to observe what happens in your region, and by the end
          of the year we will know if it is seasonal or can happen any day.

          It is very interesting to observe weather patterns during one year and
          write haiku about it, so I am looking forward to more FOG in Kenya.

          Groups Links