Children's Traffic Park kukai -- 30 October 2010

  • Isabelle Prondzynski
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2010
      Dear Kenya haijin and friends,

      We have just had a wonderful Ninth Kukai of the Haiku Clubs of Nairobi
      and enjoyed ourselves in the Children's Traffic Park, which opened
      specially for us on a Saturday. The Children's Traffic Park is a park
      within Central Park, next to Uhuru Park in the centre of the city. The
      ginkoo took place both within the Children's Traffic Park and Central
      Park itself.

      I shall prepare a proper write-up of the kukai as soon as I have
      uploaded the photographs; meanwhile, please enjoy the prize winning
      haiku which you will find below and let us know which of these poems
      are your own favourites.

      The judges' opinion is final -- but only for the purposes of the
      prizegiving! Other opinions are welcome and we look forward to them.

      1.
      ---
      Central Park --
      a boy swings and
      swings

      ~ Abednego Mwanzis (Peacock, F1)

      2.
      ---
      running water --
      a jacaranda flower
      floats by

      ~ Rhoda Mutheu (Peacock, F4)

      3.
      ---
      cool breeze --
      he lies with a hat
      on his face

      ~ Monica Ndunge (Peacock, F2)

      4.
      ---
      traffic jam --
      a hawker sells handkerchiefs
      to passengers

      ~ Kelvin Wanjala (Bamboocha, F2)

      5.
      ---
      green grass --
      a lady flicks a termite with
      her finger

      ~ Dominic Kuvonga (Peacock, F2)

      6.
      ---
      Central Park --
      a lady laying her head on
      a man's shoulder

      ~ Sylvia Kalekyo (Peacock, F3)

      7.
      ---
      slashed grass --
      a termite disappears
      in the hole

      ~ Jecinta Mueni (Peacock, F2)

      8.
      ---
      flowing water --
      the blown grass blade
      flows away

      ~ Stephen Macharia (Bamboocha, F2)

      9.
      ---
      jacaranda trees --
      scattered flowers
      on the ground

      ~ Fanuel Alala (Peacock, F3)

      10.
      ----
      glowing cloud --
      water droplets from tipu tree
      wet the ground

      ~ Eric Mwange (Bamboocha, F3)

      11.
      ----
      cloudy sky --
      the ice cream vendore
      leans on a cart

      ~ Titus Mutungi (Peacock, F1)

      12.
      ----
      high tower --
      the lift moves to and fro
      continuously

      ~ Wayua Pauline (Peacock, F2)

      13.
      ----
      clean pavement --
      a leaf falls off from
      the jacaranda tree

      ~ Peter Nguribu (Bamboocha, F3)

      14.
      Central Park --
      a bee sucking from
      day lily flower

      ~ Samuel Pirias (Bamboocha, F2)

      15.
      ----
      calm evening --
      a couple lying on the
      green grass

      ~ Scholarstica Mumbe (Peacock, F3)

      16.
      ----
      star grass --
      a grasshopper flaps
      its wings

      ~ Elijah Juma (Peacock, F1)

      17.
      ----
      shedding flowers --
      a bee buzzing around a
      guava tree

      ~ Isaac Ndirangu (Bamboocha, F2)

      18.
      ----
      cool breeze --
      white high raised flag
      waves

      ~ Stanley Mutinda (Peacock, F3)

      Happy reading! And wishing you an excellent week-end as we look back
      to last Saturday with the fun we had,

      Isabelle.
    • Greve Gabi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2010
        Thanks for sharing your ginkoo with as, all dear friends from Kenya.

        It is a nice overall picture of your day in the park, people enjoying
        a leisurely time, jacarandas and the flowing water ... just lovely,
        all of your observations.
        It is too hard to find a very best, so let me say, I love them all and
        cant wait to see the photos !

        Gabi

      • Cecily Wambui
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2010

          running water --
          a jacaranda flower
          floats by

          ~ Rhoda Mutheu (Peacock, F4)
          Hi to all ,
          I really enjoyed the kukai and thanks to all who attended it.
          The haiku above has captured my eye and i want to comment on it.
          First of all the haiku has followed the short-long-short method.Secondly,
          the kireji is at the right position and the haijin seems to be very observant
          since she sat down and observed the flower floating on the water.

        • Asava Kevin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2010