passion fruit

  • Greve Gabi
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2010
      wire fence--
      white quarry dust on the
      rambling passion fruit

      Caleb

      We need to watch the passion fruit for its potential to be a kigo.
      I had a passion fruit plant in my garden for a while, and believe it had a certain seasonality, but I have now forgotten what it was. Sadly, it got killed by some greedy insects...

      Isabelle sensei

      Passiflora edulis
      is a vine species of passion flower that is native to Paraguay, Brazil and northeastern Argentina (Corrientes and Misiones provinces).
      Common names include Passion Fruit (UK and US), Passionfruit (Australia and New Zealand), Granadilla (South America), Lilikoʻi (Hawaiian), Magrandera Shona (Zimbabwe), and Lac tien, Chanh day or Chanh leo (Vietnamese) .

      Let us watch this for more information !

      Gabi

    • Esther Obwamu
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
        High guys,
        I have few haiku to share with you today.Please comment on them.
          windy afternoon--
        a hooked paper blows
        side to side

        maths day -
        students complaining of a
        hard sum
        this haiku were written by catherine mwangoji.It was a maths day at school and that is what she observed.I have three of them about the maths day.

        hard sum--
        a student scrathes his head
        for a formula

        incorrect sum--
        a student frawns at
        the teacher
                                     by esther obwamu

        a boy yawns
        with wrinkels on his fore head--
        difficult sum
                                        by shammim mmbone

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
          Hi guys hope you are all fine.this are our poems comment on them.
          monday evening--
          a cow browsing on
           dry Nappier grass
          by John Ochieng

          cold October--
           teacher trembles while writing
          new handwriting
          by Violet Wangira

          Fro

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_edulis

          Let us watch this for more information !

          Gabi

        • caleb wothes
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2010
            Dear Violet,

            Thank you for sharing your friend's poems with us.

            monday evening--
            a cow browsing on
             dry Nappier grass
            Dear John Ochieng, thank you for giving us the name of the grass, that is very important.

            cold October--
            teacher trembles while writing
            new handwriting

            Dear, Violet Wangira, I want to believe that its the cold that is making the teacher's handwriting seem different from the usual handwriting.

            Keep up the good work both of you. I am very pleased by all of you.
            thank you.

            Caleb Mutua.

            Fro

            We need to watch the passion fruit for its potential to be a kigo.
            I had a passion fruit plant in my garden for a while, and believe it had a certain seasonality, but I have now forgotten what it was. Sadly, it got killed by some greedy insects...

            Isabelle sensei

            Passiflora edulis
            is a vine species of passion flower that is native to Paraguay, Brazil and northeastern Argentina (Corrientes and Misiones provinces).
            Common names include Passion Fruit (UK and US), Passionfruit (Australia and New Zealand), Granadilla (South America), Lilikoʻi (Hawaiian), Magrandera Shona (Zimbabwe), and Lac tien, Chanh day or Chanh leo (Vietnamese) .
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_edulis

            Let us watch this for more information !

            Gabi

          • Isabelle Prondzynski
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2010
              Dear Kenya haijin, dear Gabi sensei and friends,

              Thank you all again for sending in so many haiku -- I love seeing both
              your haiku and also your computing skills!

              Just like last week, I have collected them together in order to
              reply. I shall do a bit of editing of spelling and typing mistakes,
              and shall therefore not be talking about them.

              Just a couple of remarks at the start.

              Words that are always written with capital letters, even in the middle
              of a sentence (examples Soweto, October, I, Sunday), are also written
              with capital letters in a haiku.

              Enjoy the collection! And take your time to discuss the haiku together
              and see whether my remarks make any sense. You are very welcome to ask
              questions or to send in your revised versions -- I shall be glad to
              comment them too.

              Wishing you a happy week-end!

              Isabelle.

              Monday evening--
              a cow browsing on
              dry Napier grass

              ~ John Ochieng

              I like lines 2 and 3. You have a kireji well placed. But I am not sure
              why it is so important that the cow is browsing on a Monday. Does she
              eat something else the other days of the week? I think I need to know
              a bit more about this cow.

              cold October--
              teacher trembles while writing
              new handwriting

              ~ Violet Wangira

              This haiku has two kireji, even though you have only inserted one.
              Each line is a separate idea, and there are no two lines that can be
              read together.

              dusty road-
              a man slides on a
              banana peel

              ~ Cicilia W

              Caleb sensei has already commented this haiku very nicely! The man
              slipped because he could not see the banana peel due to the dust. The
              two parts of the haiku fit nicely together.

              Soweto market-
              a naked madman eats
              a rotten watermelon

              A sad story. You have observed well. I wonder can we determine when
              the watermelon is a kigo? Do we have a season when they are
              particularly plentiful and cheap?

              The very same haiku appears again later in this collection. Did you
              both write the same haiku, or was there a mistake made in the posting?

              under a sisal plant-
              a ladybird lands on a rotten
              pomelo fruit

              This one really surprised me! I have never seen a pomelo fruit in
              Kenya. Does everyone know them? Patrick sensei, where do they come from?

              ~ BERYL ANGELINE

              scout training-
              a non member trembles down
              after a bump

              ~ mueni jacintah

              Jogoo road-
              a shot dead man lies
              in a pool of blood

              Dramatic scene. Were you there? Those are the moments when one wishes
              one could have been elsewhere...

              smelly ground-
              houseflies crowd on
              a rotten banana

              ~ Nelson Eboso

              young child-
              nursed by her mother while
              sucking its tiny fingers

              That is a lovely scene.

              ~ Rhoda Mutheu

              evening trek --
              her white socks stained
              with mud

              I like this, and it is one of my two favourites in this collection. A
              simple haiku, as the best haiku are simple, and it tells a story. I
              like the use of the word "trek" here, as it expresses a long and
              arduous walk and lets us get a much clearer idea of the scene. This is
              not just a quick run across the road to greet a friend!

              under a bed---
              a silvery wrist watch lies
              in a wooden cupboard

              Are you sure you were able to see it while you wrote your haiku? My
              imagination is working overtime!

              ~ synaidah kalahi(peacocks)

              mob riot --
              a man throws a machete
              through the glass

              Did you see this, Brian? I hope you kept well away from the mob.

              Let us use Kenyan words if we can. The word "machete" is Latin
              American, and I have never heard it used in Kenya. What we have is the
              panga, which is very similar to the machete I believe (but I have
              never seen a machete!).

              tug of war---
              two goats pulling a tread
              of dry grass

              ~ Brian Etole(peacocks)

              mighty hunt-
              he struggles to remove a kite
              from a tree branch

              Who is hunting what here? Is it the bird kite, or is it the toy kite?

              ~ muindi

              drizzly afternoon-
              footprints of a duckling
              stuck on the floor

              That is the second of my two favourites in this collection -- well
              done. This is a very nice and a simple haiku with close observation.
              The only change I would make is to replace the verb "stuck" (which
              means something has been glued) with the verb "show" (they are
              visible) :

              drizzly afternoon-
              footprints of a duckling
              show on the floor

              Soweto market-
              she slides on a banana
              peel

              ~ yamame

              Soweto market-
              a naked mad man eats
              a rotten watermelon

              Did you both write the same haiku? Maybe there was a mistake in the
              posting.

              ~ muthoki