Hornbill, a kigo ?

  • Greve Gabi
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2010

      > thorny tree--
      > a hornbill carrying  a frog
      > to its young ones
      >
      >                    Isaac Ndirangu.

      May this be another kigo for your region ? or at least a new topic ?

      Hornbills (Bucerotidae)
      are a family of bird found in tropical and sub-tropical Africa and Asia.
      They are characterized by a long, down-curved bill which is frequently
      brightly-coloured and sometimes has a casque on the upper mandible.
      Both the common English and the scientific name of the family refer to
      the shape of the bill, "buceros" being "cow horn" in Greek.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornbill

      This sounds like quite an interesting bird, reading its breeding habits.

      Gabi
    • Isabelle Prondzynski
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2010
        Dear Gabi sensei, dear all,

        Thank you for picking up this word -- yes, I too thought it could
        potentially make a kigo.

        But I am afraid that I have never seen a hornbill, and I do believe
        that it does not live in Nairobi. Patrick sensei, you are very
        observant of nature -- have you ever seen one, and if so, where?

        It may take a long time, Gabi, for us to have a sufficient number of
        observed (as opposed to desk) haiku to make it a kigo...!

        Isabelle.

        On 25 May 2010, at 09:49, Greve Gabi wrote:

        > thorny tree--
        > a hornbill carrying a frog
        > to its young ones
        >
        > Isaac Ndirangu.

        May this be another kigo for your region ? or at least a new topic ?

        Hornbills (Bucerotidae)
        are a family of bird found in tropical and sub-tropical Africa and Asia.
        They are characterized by a long, down-curved bill which is frequently
        brightly-coloured and sometimes has a casque on the upper mandible.
        Both the common English and the scientific name of the family refer to
        the shape of the bill, "buceros" being "cow horn" in Greek.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornbill

        This sounds like quite an interesting bird, reading its breeding habits.

        Gabi
      • Partrick Wafula
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2010
          Dear Gabi and Isabelle Sensei,
          I have also never seen a hornbill in Nairobi for the eighteen years I have been around. The only hornbills I have seen were upcountry in the densely populated forests before they were depleted.

          Some haijin do not know the actually names of certain birds, and they must have mistaken some other birds for a horn bill!

          Thank you.

          Patrick.

          Thank you for picking up this word -- yes, I too thought it could
          potentially make a kigo.

          But I am afraid that I have never seen a hornbill, and I do believe
          that it does not live in Nairobi. Patrick sensei, you are very
          observant of nature -- have you ever seen one, and if so, where?

          It may take a long time, Gabi, for us to have a sufficient number of
          observed (as opposed to desk) haiku to make it a kigo...!

          Isabelle.

          On 25 May 2010, at 09:49, Greve Gabi wrote:

          > thorny tree--
          > a hornbill carrying  a frog
          > to its young ones
          >
          >                    Isaac Ndirangu.

          May this be another kigo for your region ? or at least a new topic ?

          Hornbills (Bucerotidae)
          are a family of bird found in tropical and sub-tropical Africa and Asia.
          They are characterized by a long, down-curved bill which is frequently
          brightly-coloured and sometimes has a casque on the upper mandible.
          Both the common English and the scientific name of the family refer to
          the shape of the bill, "buceros" being "cow horn" in Greek.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornbill

          This sounds like quite an interesting bird, reading its breeding habits.

          Gabi

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              kenyasaijiki-digest@yahoogroups.com
              kenyasaijiki-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Worldkigo Database / Gabi Greve
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2010
            > > thorny tree--
            > > a hornbill carrying  a frog
            > > to its young ones
            > >
            > > Isaac Ndirangu.
            > >

            > May this be another kigo for your region ? or at least a new topic ?
            >

            > Hornbills (Bucerotidae)
            > are a family of bird found in tropical and sub-tropical Africa and Asia.
            > They are characterized by a long, down-curved bill which is frequently brightly-coloured and sometimes has a casque on the upper mandible.
            > Both the common English and the scientific name of the family refer to the shape of the bill, "buceros" being "cow horn" in Greek.
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornbill
            >
            > This sounds like quite an interesting bird, reading its breeding habits.
            >
            > Gabi

            strong wind--
            a hornbill's nest falls on
            the flooded river

            ~ Enoch Johanna.

            calm night--
            the noisy hornbill wakes
            me up

            ~ Peter Nguribu.

            .
          • Worldkigo Database / Gabi Greve
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 29, 2010
              There are over 8 species of hornbills in Kenya evenly distributed across Eastern, Central and Western Provinces.

              Patrick Wafula

              : : : : :

              As regards the hornbills, I looked through the chapter in the book and did not so far find any species which have adapted to an urban setting. All the species mentioned there seem to prefer bush and rivers, open woodland or forests.

              I would therefore assume that haijin writing about hornbills must have seen them on up-country visits, and the location would be of great interest.

              Isabelle Prondzynski