Re: Cold Dry Season: Sunflower and Maize

  • Partrick Wafula
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2009
      Dear Gabi Sensei, Isabelle Sensei and all haijin,
      Here is my last collection for this week; it has been lovely and richly blessing to me to take another fresh look at the botanical blessings around me. The sunflower has amazed me more than the casuarina: it bows to the east in the morning and to the west in the evening. Is this phototropism, Isabelle Sensei? Please read the haiku and give your comments:

      cold grey morning…

      the sunflower bowing

      east

      cold grey sunset…

      the sunflower bowing

      west

      ~the sunflower has a huge round yellow flower that looks
      exactly like the sun. In the morning, at sun rise, the sun flower
      usually bows east and bows west in the evening during sunset. I do not know,
      however, if the sunflower is a kigo in Kenya, since it appears and grows
      at different places at different times and seasons.

      cold July…

      maize tassels look

      like dreadlocks

      cold July …

      the aerial roots of maize

      grow longer

      ~the maize plant is the staple crop of Kenya. At this
      time, in most parts of the country, particularly the Rift Valley and Western,
      the crop is just tasselling. At the same time as it tassels, it produces long
      aerial roots to secure firmer anchorage into the soil against storms or heavy
      winds.In Nairobi, we grow it small numbers in gardens.

      grey misty July…

      brown wilting tomatoes

      die slowly from frost

      Have a lovely weekend everyone and thank God for life and love in our hearts for His creation and for our fellow human beings.

      ~Patrick.

    • caleb wothes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
[...]

      • Worldkigo Database / Gabi Greve
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2010
          ***** Sunflower in Kenya
          topic for haiku

          cold grey morning -
          the sunflower bowing
          east

          cold grey sunset -
          the sunflower bowing
          west

          I do not know,
          however, if the sunflower is a kigo in Kenya, since it appears and grows
          at different places at different times and seasons.

          Partrick Wafula

          Here are the details
          http://wkdkigodatabase03.blogspot.com/2008/05/sunflower-himawari.html

          Thank you so much, Patrick sensei!