Re: Sea of TIme Tuened in to Baen

  • redcorgipal
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
      I wish that, like authors, book cover artists would have editors. Clyde Caldwell's covers are good, but would have been better with some editing.

      The cover of The God Stalker Chronicales looks like a scene from God Stalk. To me the only things wrong with it is that the artist wasn't told that Jame is so flat chested that she is mistaken for a boy and is modestly dressed, except when she is dancing. A cover artist editor would have told him to cover her chest and lose the necklace and other decorations on her outfit.

      For me, there is more wrong with the cover of Seeker's Bane. Jame's chest needs to be covered and she doesn't wear jewelry. Also her expression looks too 'sweet'. Jorin looks ok, but looks to be a little bigger than discribed. The rathorn's armor is wrong, they are discribed as having a face mask with horns, two on a stallion, one on a mare. The rest of the armor is on the underside of the neck, chest, belly and the front of the legs.

      Bound In Blood is good, but Jame needs to be covered up and her outfit is too fancy for someone who is supposed to be wearing 50 year old castoffs. The rathorn, again, is armored wrong. There is no mention of horns/spurs above the eyes, on the chin and elbows. Then he should be armored on the underside and not the top. As this particular rathorn is an albino, his eyes should be red. Also Jame should be riding him with a saddle.

      In Honor's Paradox, much the same as above, Jame needs to be covered up and why would a student at a military college be wearing jewelry? The Arrin-ken are only discribed as giant cats, one of which is big enough for Jame to ride. My impression of them is more like a saber toothed cat rather than an African lion, but that's me.

      I hope for the next book, the artist gets the details right.

      Cindy
    • Deborah Brown
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
        On 6/29/2013 9:29 AM, ecolwell@... wrote:
        > The cover of The God Stalker Chronicales looks like a scene from God Stalk. To me the only things wrong with it is that the artist wasn't told that Jame is so flat chested that she is mistaken for a boy and is modestly dressed, except when she is dancing.

        The artist in question doesn't appear to do flat-chested women. Not an
        uncommon state of affairs. (Whelan doesn't do weak skinny men, which is
        why Elric looks like he does on Whelan's covers.)

        That's not to defend the covers, I note. I do think Baen might have done
        better to choose an artist less given to...rounding out their female
        characters. But then, my favorite covers of all the books was the first
        paperback, Jame's figure having the air of mystery and uncertainty that
        she ought to have.

        Deborah

        *We all love a good story. When we don't get one, we make up our own. *
      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
          I liked the paperback one (it's got the overhead view of Jame fishing from the rooftops) but my favorite is still the hardback, where she's apparently dancing among cowed fallen people, knife in hand.

          --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Brown <kosagi@...> wrote:
          > That's not to defend the covers, I note. I do think Baen might have done
          > better to choose an artist less given to...rounding out their female
          > characters. But then, my favorite covers of all the books was the first
          > paperback, Jame's figure having the air of mystery and uncertainty that
          > she ought to have.
          >
          > Deborah
        • jens2018
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
            I know it's off topic ( meaning non Pat) but, re: the Elric covers - Wendy Pini did a beautiful piece on the Elric saga as a college thesis project (I think) - there's a book that has all of her artwork. It's worth seeing. I just found it's been posted online. Enjoy - I think she nailed his look. ;)

            http://www.masque-of-the-red-death.com/law_and_chaos/index.php