Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Sea of TIme Tuened in to Baen

Expand Messages
  • jens2018
    I love him, he illustrated many of my favorite novels, but not sure what you mean? (other than you love him too?)
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      I love him, he illustrated many of my favorite novels, but not sure what you mean? (other than you love him too?)

      --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Risacher <magnus@...> wrote:
      >
      > Michael Whelan WTF!
      >
      > q.v. http://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/illustration/
      >
      >
      > On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM, jens2018 <jen.spence@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >
      > >
      > > It's funny, because those covers just turn me off.... My favorite covers
      > > were from the market paperbacks of God Stalk and Dark of the Moon - they
      > > actually mirrored how I felt Jame & her environment should look. I hope my
      > > own artwork lives up to my admiration of those covers....
      > >
      > > --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Robotech_Master <robotech@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Some would say that the point of a cover is to attract attention in
      > > > the store, not necessarily to depict accurately what happens in the
      > > > book. As annoying as it is, that kind of cover does sell books or they
      > > > wouldn't keep using it.
      > > >
      > > > The question is whether it sells more than it would have with a more
      > > > accurate cover, and whether the people who buy it for the cover are
      > > > pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
      > > > Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
      > > > robotech.master@ | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
      > > > robotech@ | Facebook: Robotech.Master | a sig file!
      > > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
    • redcorgipal
      I wish that, like authors, book cover artists would have editors. Clyde Caldwell s covers are good, but would have been better with some editing. The cover of
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        I wish that, like authors, book cover artists would have editors. Clyde Caldwell's covers are good, but would have been better with some editing.

        The cover of The God Stalker Chronicales looks like a scene from God Stalk. To me the only things wrong with it is that the artist wasn't told that Jame is so flat chested that she is mistaken for a boy and is modestly dressed, except when she is dancing. A cover artist editor would have told him to cover her chest and lose the necklace and other decorations on her outfit.

        For me, there is more wrong with the cover of Seeker's Bane. Jame's chest needs to be covered and she doesn't wear jewelry. Also her expression looks too 'sweet'. Jorin looks ok, but looks to be a little bigger than discribed. The rathorn's armor is wrong, they are discribed as having a face mask with horns, two on a stallion, one on a mare. The rest of the armor is on the underside of the neck, chest, belly and the front of the legs.

        Bound In Blood is good, but Jame needs to be covered up and her outfit is too fancy for someone who is supposed to be wearing 50 year old castoffs. The rathorn, again, is armored wrong. There is no mention of horns/spurs above the eyes, on the chin and elbows. Then he should be armored on the underside and not the top. As this particular rathorn is an albino, his eyes should be red. Also Jame should be riding him with a saddle.

        In Honor's Paradox, much the same as above, Jame needs to be covered up and why would a student at a military college be wearing jewelry? The Arrin-ken are only discribed as giant cats, one of which is big enough for Jame to ride. My impression of them is more like a saber toothed cat rather than an African lion, but that's me.

        I hope for the next book, the artist gets the details right.

        Cindy
      • Deborah Brown
        ... The artist in question doesn t appear to do flat-chested women. Not an uncommon state of affairs. (Whelan doesn t do weak skinny men, which is why Elric
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          On 6/29/2013 9:29 AM, ecolwell@... wrote:
          > The cover of The God Stalker Chronicales looks like a scene from God Stalk. To me the only things wrong with it is that the artist wasn't told that Jame is so flat chested that she is mistaken for a boy and is modestly dressed, except when she is dancing.

          The artist in question doesn't appear to do flat-chested women. Not an
          uncommon state of affairs. (Whelan doesn't do weak skinny men, which is
          why Elric looks like he does on Whelan's covers.)

          That's not to defend the covers, I note. I do think Baen might have done
          better to choose an artist less given to...rounding out their female
          characters. But then, my favorite covers of all the books was the first
          paperback, Jame's figure having the air of mystery and uncertainty that
          she ought to have.

          Deborah

          --
          ***********************************************************************
          *We all love a good story. When we don't get one, we make up our own. *
          ***********************************************************************
        • Fuzzy
          I liked the paperback one (it s got the overhead view of Jame fishing from the rooftops) but my favorite is still the hardback, where she s apparently dancing
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I liked the paperback one (it's got the overhead view of Jame fishing from the rooftops) but my favorite is still the hardback, where she's apparently dancing among cowed fallen people, knife in hand.

            --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Brown <kosagi@...> wrote:
            > That's not to defend the covers, I note. I do think Baen might have done
            > better to choose an artist less given to...rounding out their female
            > characters. But then, my favorite covers of all the books was the first
            > paperback, Jame's figure having the air of mystery and uncertainty that
            > she ought to have.
            >
            > Deborah
          • jens2018
            I know it s off topic ( meaning non Pat) but, re: the Elric covers - Wendy Pini did a beautiful piece on the Elric saga as a college thesis project (I think) -
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              I know it's off topic ( meaning non Pat) but, re: the Elric covers - Wendy Pini did a beautiful piece on the Elric saga as a college thesis project (I think) - there's a book that has all of her artwork. It's worth seeing. I just found it's been posted online. Enjoy - I think she nailed his look. ;)

              http://www.masque-of-the-red-death.com/law_and_chaos/index.php

              J



              --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Brown <kosagi@...> wrote:
              >
              > On 6/29/2013 9:29 AM, ecolwell@... wrote:
              > > The cover of The God Stalker Chronicales looks like a scene from God Stalk. To me the only things wrong with it is that the artist wasn't told that Jame is so flat chested that she is mistaken for a boy and is modestly dressed, except when she is dancing.
              >
              > The artist in question doesn't appear to do flat-chested women. Not an
              > uncommon state of affairs. (Whelan doesn't do weak skinny men, which is
              > why Elric looks like he does on Whelan's covers.)
              >
              > That's not to defend the covers, I note. I do think Baen might have done
              > better to choose an artist less given to...rounding out their female
              > characters. But then, my favorite covers of all the books was the first
              > paperback, Jame's figure having the air of mystery and uncertainty that
              > she ought to have.
              >
              > Deborah
              >
              > --
              > ***********************************************************************
              > *We all love a good story. When we don't get one, we make up our own. *
              > ***********************************************************************
              >
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.