Re: Sea of TIme Tuened in to Baen

  • neihaera
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2013
      I was in my local Chapters comparing choices with a friend when he spotted the cover to Honor's Paradox and made some comment on how it must have gotten misplaced out of the Romance(dreck) section. After I told him how absolutely nothing on the cover reflected anything in the book in any way, shape, make, manner or form, he bought a copy just to shut me up. He went back for the rest of the series, agreeing with me.

      New cover artist, eh? Dare we hope he or she might have actually READ one of the books, or at least one of the short stories, thereby gaining a clue?

      --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, "BURTON" <weasel_vsl2k1@...> wrote:

      > Great news. Hope there will be a hard cover edition this time.
      >
      > So guess it will be about 9 months to the eARC.
      >
      > Pat's previous Baen covers are quite hilarious and isn't Jame. More like romance novel damsel covers. Hope the new artist does a better job.

    • Robotech_Master
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2013
        Some would say that the point of a cover is to attract attention in
        the store, not necessarily to depict accurately what happens in the
        book. As annoying as it is, that kind of cover does sell books or they
        wouldn't keep using it.

        The question is whether it sells more than it would have with a more
        accurate cover, and whether the people who buy it for the cover are
        pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.

        --
        Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
        Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 22, 2013
          The more recent Baen covers have been "male gaze"
          sex-objectification-of-female covers. Blech.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 22, 2013
            Those aren't romance covers. Romance covers don't generally se-objectify
            women, they often sex-objectify male torsos (not the partial or full
            decapitations...)

            I was in my local Chapters comparing choices with a friend when he spotted
            the cover to Honor's Paradox and made some comment on how it must have
            gotten misplaced out of the Romance(dreck) section. After I told him how
            absolutely nothing on the cover reflected anything in the book in any way,
            shape, make, manner or form, he bought a copy just to shut me up. He went
            back for the rest of the series, agreeing with me.

            New cover artist, eh? Dare we hope he or she might have actually READ one
            of the books, or at least one of the short stories, thereby gaining a clue?

            --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, "BURTON" <weasel_vsl2k1@...> wrote:

            > Great news. Hope there will be a hard cover edition this time.
            >
            > So guess it will be about 9 months to the eARC.
            >
            > Pat's previous Baen covers are quite hilarious and isn't Jame. More like
            > romance novel damsel covers. Hope the new artist does a better job.
          • jens2018
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 23, 2013
              It's funny, because those covers just turn me off.... My favorite covers were from the market paperbacks of God Stalk and Dark of the Moon - they actually mirrored how I felt Jame & her environment should look. I hope my own artwork lives up to my admiration of those covers....

              --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Robotech_Master <robotech@...> wrote:

              > Some would say that the point of a cover is to attract attention in
              > the store, not necessarily to depict accurately what happens in the
              > book. As annoying as it is, that kind of cover does sell books or they
              > wouldn't keep using it.
              >
              > The question is whether it sells more than it would have with a more
              > accurate cover, and whether the people who buy it for the cover are
              > pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.
              >
              > --
              > Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
              > Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
              > robotech.master@... | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
              > robotech@... | Facebook: Robotech.Master | a sig file!

            • Daniel Risacher
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 23, 2013
                Michael Whelan WTF!

                q.v. http://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/illustration/

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
                  I love him, he illustrated many of my favorite novels, but not sure what you mean? (other than you love him too?)

                  --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Risacher <magnus@...> wrote:

                  > Michael Whelan WTF!
                  >
                  > q.v. http://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/illustration/
                  >

                  > On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM, jens2018 <jen.spence@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > It's funny, because those covers just turn me off.... My favorite covers
                  > > were from the market paperbacks of God Stalk and Dark of the Moon - they
                  > > actually mirrored how I felt Jame & her environment should look. I hope my
                  > > own artwork lives up to my admiration of those covers....
                  > >
                  > > --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Robotech_Master <robotech@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Some would say that the point of a cover is to attract attention in
                  > > > the store, not necessarily to depict accurately what happens in the
                  > > > book. As annoying as it is, that kind of cover does sell books or they
                  > > > wouldn't keep using it.
                  > > >
                  > > > The question is whether it sells more than it would have with a more
                  > > > accurate cover, and whether the people who buy it for the cover are
                  > > > pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.
                  > > >
                  > > > --
                  > > > Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
                  > > > Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
                  > > > robotech.master@ | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
                  > > > robotech@ | Facebook: Robotech.Master | a sig file!

                • redcorgipal
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
                    I wish that, like authors, book cover artists would have editors. Clyde Caldwell's covers are good, but would have been better with some editing.

                    The cover of The God Stalker Chronicales looks like a scene from God Stalk. To me the only things wrong with it is that the artist wasn't told that Jame is so flat chested that she is mistaken for a boy and is modestly dressed, except when she is dancing. A cover artist editor would have told him to cover her chest and lose the necklace and other decorations on her outfit.

                    For me, there is more wrong with the cover of Seeker's Bane. Jame's chest needs to be covered and she doesn't wear jewelry. Also her expression looks too 'sweet'. Jorin looks ok, but looks to be a little bigger than discribed. The rathorn's armor is wrong, they are discribed as having a face mask with horns, two on a stallion, one on a mare. The rest of the armor is on the underside of the neck, chest, belly and the front of the legs.

                    Bound In Blood is good, but Jame needs to be covered up and her outfit is too fancy for someone who is supposed to be wearing 50 year old castoffs. The rathorn, again, is armored wrong. There is no mention of horns/spurs above the eyes, on the chin and elbows. Then he should be armored on the underside and not the top. As this particular rathorn is an albino, his eyes should be red. Also Jame should be riding him with a saddle.

                    In Honor's Paradox, much the same as above, Jame needs to be covered up and why would a student at a military college be wearing jewelry? The Arrin-ken are only discribed as giant cats, one of which is big enough for Jame to ride. My impression of them is more like a saber toothed cat rather than an African lion, but that's me.

                    I hope for the next book, the artist gets the details right.

                    Cindy
                  • Deborah Brown
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
                      On 6/29/2013 9:29 AM, ecolwell@... wrote:
                      > The cover of The God Stalker Chronicales looks like a scene from God Stalk. To me the only things wrong with it is that the artist wasn't told that Jame is so flat chested that she is mistaken for a boy and is modestly dressed, except when she is dancing.

                      The artist in question doesn't appear to do flat-chested women. Not an
                      uncommon state of affairs. (Whelan doesn't do weak skinny men, which is
                      why Elric looks like he does on Whelan's covers.)

                      That's not to defend the covers, I note. I do think Baen might have done
                      better to choose an artist less given to...rounding out their female
                      characters. But then, my favorite covers of all the books was the first
                      paperback, Jame's figure having the air of mystery and uncertainty that
                      she ought to have.

                      Deborah

                      *We all love a good story. When we don't get one, we make up our own. *
                    • Fuzzy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
                        I liked the paperback one (it's got the overhead view of Jame fishing from the rooftops) but my favorite is still the hardback, where she's apparently dancing among cowed fallen people, knife in hand.

                        --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Brown <kosagi@...> wrote:
                        > That's not to defend the covers, I note. I do think Baen might have done
                        > better to choose an artist less given to...rounding out their female
                        > characters. But then, my favorite covers of all the books was the first
                        > paperback, Jame's figure having the air of mystery and uncertainty that
                        > she ought to have.
                        >
                        > Deborah
                      • jens2018
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
                          I know it's off topic ( meaning non Pat) but, re: the Elric covers - Wendy Pini did a beautiful piece on the Elric saga as a college thesis project (I think) - there's a book that has all of her artwork. It's worth seeing. I just found it's been posted online. Enjoy - I think she nailed his look. ;)

                          http://www.masque-of-the-red-death.com/law_and_chaos/index.php