Did Highborn and Kendar used to look like the Arrin-ken?

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
      I was just browsing through the Kencyrath page on TV Tropes
      http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChroniclesOfTheKencyrath and
      noticed the following:

      "It is in fact mentioned explicitly, at one point, that the Highborn and
      Kendar both used to be much more like the Arrin-ken (the highly sentient,
      highly magical, giant black panthers that used to serve as the balance of
      their race) in both body and mind."

      I don't remember seeing this, and can't figure out where it might have
      been. As fun as it would be to reread everything just to look for this
      line, I'd probably forget what I was looking for before long, and so never
      find it. :) Does anyone know if this is correct? They used to be a united
      people, but not physically alike, was what I understood. The Kendar have
      been changed over the millennia, if I recall, but none of them have changed
      so dramatically from their original basic forms - i.e. no changing from
      feline to hominid.

      (I was there because I was looking for an example of one of the latest
      covers to show someone. I got a kick out of this line: "Covers Always
      Lie<http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoversAlwaysLie>:
      With Jame being *repeatedly and emphatically* described as a flat-chested
      girl in the text, one has to wonder what part of "skinny elf-girl" the
      latest <http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n65/n328827.jpg>◊
      cover<http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/c4/c22449.jpg>
      ◊ artist <http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/c4/c23468.jpg>◊ is
      having so much trouble with." Have any of you seen the recent Anne of Green
      Gables covers? Oh, my. They put into perspective how lucky we are that the
      only serious problem with the Jame covers is that she looks like she has
      water balloons on her chest. OK, fine, Jame looks like she'd fall over if
      the cloak wasn't counter-balancing her, but at least the artist got her
      approximate age and hair color right.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/feb/08/anne-green-gables-blonde-red-hair
      )

      JenM

    • Damien Sullivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
        On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:05:22PM -0500, Jen wrote:

        > "It is in fact mentioned explicitly, at one point, that the Highborn and
        > Kendar both used to be much more like the Arrin-ken (the highly sentient,
        > highly magical, giant black panthers that used to serve as the balance of
        > their race) in both body and mind."
        >
        > I don't remember seeing this, and can't figure out where it might have
        > been. As fun as it would be to reread everything just to look for this

        Jame describing the Kencyrath to Dally.

        -xx- Damien X-)
      • pwrlftrbear
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
          Was in Godstalk. I don't know that she was saying they were physically
          closer to them, but perhaps more mentally or 'supernaturally'. She says some
          Arrin-ken were rumored to be able to walk through walls, for example.

          In a message dated 2/8/2013 11:05:30 A.M. Central Standard Time,

[...]

        • Fuzzy
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
            ^_^ There are benefits to owning eBook versions, including quick searchers.

            Chapter 7:

            "Your terms are beginning to confuse me," said Darinby, as though Scramp had not spoken. "What's an Arrin-ken?"
            "The first of the Three People, our judges. The priests give the laws, the scrollsmen record them, the Kendar enforce them, and the Arrin-ken temper them . . . or at least they used to. Two thousand years ago they got disgusted with the rest of us and withdrew to consult. As far as I know, they're still at it."
            "For two thousand years?"
            "Time doesn't mean much to that lot: they're as close to immortal as makes no difference. I didn't say, you know, that they were human. In fact, they look rather like big cats —tiger size—can move things without touching them and, on occasion, have been known to walk through stone walls. The rest of us used to be much closer to them physically and mentally than we are now."

            --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Jen wrote:

            > I was just browsing through the Kencyrath page on TV Tropes
            > http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChroniclesOfTheKencyrath and
            > noticed the following:
            >
            > "It is in fact mentioned explicitly, at one point, that the Highborn and
            > Kendar both used to be much more like the Arrin-ken (the highly sentient,
            > highly magical, giant black panthers that used to serve as the balance of
            > their race) in both body and mind."
            >
            > I don't remember seeing this, and can't figure out where it might have
            > been. As fun as it would be to reread everything just to look for this
            > line, I'd probably forget what I was looking for before long, and so never
            > find it. :) Does anyone know if this is correct? They used to be a united
            > people, but not physically alike, was what I understood. The Kendar have
            > been changed over the millennia, if I recall, but none of them have changed
            > so dramatically from their original basic forms - i.e. no changing from
            > feline to hominid.
            >
            > (I was there because I was looking for an example of one of the latest
            > covers to show someone. I got a kick out of this line: "Covers Always
            > Lie :
            > With Jame being *repeatedly and emphatically* described as a flat-chested
            > girl in the text, one has to wonder what part of "skinny elf-girl" the
            > latest ◊
            > cover
            > ◊ artist ◊ is
            > having so much trouble with." Have any of you seen the recent Anne of Green
            > Gables covers? Oh, my. They put into perspective how lucky we are that the
            > only serious problem with the Jame covers is that she looks like she has
            > water balloons on her chest. OK, fine, Jame looks like she'd fall over if
            > the cloak wasn't counter-balancing her, but at least the artist got her
            > approximate age and hair color right.
            > http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/feb/08/anne-green-gables-blonde-red-hair
            > )
            >
            > JenM

          • Jen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
              You're good! I found it right away, with that help.

              "Your terms are beginning to confuse me," said Darinby, as though Scramp
              > had not spoken. "What's an Arrin-ken?"
              >
              > "The first of the Three People, our judges. The priests give the laws, the
              > scrollsmen record them, the Kendar enforce them, and the Arrin-ken temper
              > them . . . or at least they used to. Two thousand years ago they got
              > disgusted with the rest of us and withdrew to consult. As far as I know,
              > they're still at it."
              >
              > "For two thousand years?"
              >
              > "Time doesn't mean much to that lot: they're as close to immortal as makes
              > no difference. I didn't say, you know, that they were human. In fact, they
              > look rather like big cats �tiger size�can move things without touching them
              > and, on occasion, have been known to walk through stone walls. The rest of
              > us used to be much closer to them physically and mentally than we are now."

              Huh. Interesting. A lot to think about there...

              JenM

              On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:05:22PM -0500, Jen wrote:
              >
              > > "It is in fact mentioned explicitly, at one point, that the Highborn and
              > > Kendar both used to be much more like the Arrin-ken (the highly sentient,
              > > highly magical, giant black panthers that used to serve as the balance of
              > > their race) in both body and mind."
              > >
              > > I don't remember seeing this, and can't figure out where it might have
              > > been. As fun as it would be to reread everything just to look for this
              >
              > Jame describing the Kencyrath to Dally.
              >
              > -xx- Damien X-)

            • Paula Lieberman
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
                I think Jame meant HIghborn/Shanir by "the rest of it" without actually
                realizing it--she knew she wasn't Kendar, but didn't realize that that meant
                she was Highborn. She knew she was Shanir. Her upbringing did not leave
                her with a conscious realization that she was Highborn, and Knorth Highborn
                at that. At North Kenshold, which she knew only as a keep her father
                headed up, the only Highborn seemed to have been her father, her mother,
                Ishtier's brother (can't remember his name) the scrollsman who was a cousin
                of Jame and Tori--but Jame didn't know that, she did know that Ishtier, who
                had abandoned the keep before Jame and Tori's birth, was the older brother
                of the scrollsman and lacked the training of a priest to use the scroll of
                the Law and maintain his own self-integrity while also being a bulwark
                holding the Barrier, and Jame and Tori.

                Jame I think -knew- that:
                a) The Kendar, the Highborn, and the Arrin-ken were from three different
                worlds originally,
                b) the Whinno-hir had been with the Highborn from the start (or perhaps it
                had to have been Marc who pointed that out).

                That Jame was Highborn had not occurred to her, on the other hand, she
                didn't see herself as Kendar--she had the wrong conformation for on thing,
                too short and too slender and lacking the artistic ability/facility. But
                she'd never really -thought- about it, she grew up -isolated- with no other
                children about her after being driven out from the Keep, and even before
                then, there was only Tori, and their father's mental instabilities affected
                everyone.