Re: (unknown)

  • neihaera
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2011
      All I'm going to add is sooner or later the artist that created these covers, lovely though they are, sooner or later should actually read the books, and as soon as he/she does, they are going to be EXTREMELY embarrassed. That said, let's not whine too much ... I never even got to see the TRaR cover from Meisha Merlin, the only pre-Baen copies of any of the books I ever found were Godstalk and Dark of the Moon, an age ago. I'll cheerfully suffer the Elf-lion and Jame's bumper upgrades and atrocious fashion decisions as long as I can FIND the books on the shop shelves to READ them.

      --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Brown <morven@...> wrote:

      > I'll still take publication by Baen with crappy covers but the books being
      > findable in bookstores -- I keep coming across them, which is a good thing
      > -- over small-press publishers who might do prettier covers but who do
      > atrocious proofing. I suspect Pat's bank account prefers it too, given that
      > Meisha Merlin never paid her a cent and went under owing her and other
      > authors money ...
      >
      > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Faith Clanton <dragnflite1@...>wrote:
      >
      > > The best cover,I thought, was To Ride A Rathorn. It not only got my
      > > attention but also that of my teenage son. It was done by cover artist
      > > Christian McGrath and put out by Meisha Merlin. A great little publisher
      > > that unfortunately went under. It is what I picture a rathorn to look like
      > > if not Jaime exactly. Those other covers seem geared to those that enjoy the
      > > formulaic books some writers can put out every 3 to 6 months.

    • Matthew Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2011
        On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM, neihaera <neihaera@...> wrote:

        > I'll cheerfully suffer the Elf-lion and Jame's bumper upgrades and
        > atrocious fashion decisions as long as I can FIND the books on the shop
        > shelves to READ them.

        Exactly, and Baen has been pretty good about that, at least around here; I'm
        always finding them in the chain bookstores. Not always all 3 current
        volumes, but at least one or two.

        -Matt

      • ecolwell@windstream.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2011
          --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, "neihaera" <neihaera@...> wrote:

          > All I'm going to add is sooner or later the artist that created these covers, lovely though they are, sooner or later should actually read the books, and as soon as he/she does, they are going to be EXTREMELY embarrassed. That said, let's not whine too much ... I never even got to see the TRaR cover from Meisha Merlin, the only pre-Baen copies of any of the books I ever found were Godstalk and Dark of the Moon, an age ago. I'll cheerfully suffer the Elf-lion and Jame's bumper upgrades and atrocious fashion decisions as long as I can FIND the books on the shop shelves to READ them.

          Over on the Louis L'Amour forums, there is a discussion going on about this subject. Beau L'Amour, the son of Louis L'Amour, tells of what goes into getting reasonable cover art on books. To see this discussion go to http://www.louislamour.com . Click on the discussion forum link then on the Louis L'Amour Discussion Forum link. Then look for the thread 'LL's heros and their hats' which turns into 'Art Department History'. Very interesting information from someone involved in the industry.

          Cindy