Re: Is berserking shanir?

  • alith7
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
      > Shanir characteristics, which include any or all of claws, mindlinking
      > ability, farseeing, farhearing, the voice of command, abilities such as the
      > one that Jame showed in Tai-Tastigon walking in the air on a bridge and
      > rooftiles which weren't there anymore, the ability to read from the Book
      > without getting blasted, the ability to move around in soul-images and
      > manipulate them (to heal or harm), hair white from birth or very premature
      > hair whitening otherwise, maledight cursing ability and other destructive
      > effects such as Brenwyr exhibited, spontaneous creation, etc.

      -- Just wanted to comment that I think the walking on non-existent roof tiles was more a trait of belief creating reality in Tai-Tastigon than a Shanir ability. Otherwise, how would Penari have been able to do it?

      ok, going to go back to lurking in the shadows...
    • Simon
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
        I think I might be able to answer my own question. In SM, Kindrie tells Jame:

        "Of course," he said, trying to sound superior, "we've always had indirect
        contact with our god through the Shanir. Oracles, maledights, berserkers .
        . . ." (p 179 of the Meisha Merlin ed.)

        Which seems fairly definitive.
      • Simon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
          Quoth Simon
          > I think I might be able to answer my own question. In SM, Kindrie tells
          > Jame:
          >
          > "Of course," he said, trying to sound superior, "we've always had indirect
          > contact with our god through the Shanir. Oracles, maledights, berserkers .
          > . . ." (p 179 of the Meisha Merlin ed.)
          >
          > Which seems fairly definitive.

          One more time. This is what lead me to conclude that berserking wasn't a
          shanir trait:

          "Other members of the Randon Council stood in the background. As most,
          like Harn, were pure kendar, not all could be Shanir; some other instinct
          or message must have brought them." TRaR 408
        • windam_2000
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
            It seems to me that there's 2 types of berserk:
            1) Battlefield berserk - user enters a state of enhanced physical prowess but at the cost of mental stability and judgement (Harn)
            2) Shanir berserk - user becomes more attuned to the 3rd aspect of god but may or may not be in control of themselves. The aspect's powers may manifest itself thru the user (maledight) or may be harnessed by the user (Jame).

            I guess it could be argued that item #1 is also a limited manifestation of destruction since the user becomes an agent of havoc. Item #2 implies a connection to the 3rd aspect.

            My 2 cents,

            win