_Bound in Blood_ eARC is available!

  • the_zedmeister
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 11, 2009
      Baen Books has just made an eARC (electronic Advance Reader's Copy) of _Bound in Blood_ available at their ebook store, WebScriptions.net. The actual book isn't coming out until March, so this is a chance to read an unpolished version three months in advance.

      I'm already halfway through it (and loving it!), and I haven't spotted any errors, so the final version probably won't differ much from this one.

      The price is $15, and it can be purchased here: http://www.webscription.net/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1185&SEName=bound-in-blood-arc

      There are also sample chapters available.

      Enjoy! :)
    • Matthew Brown
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 11, 2009
        Damn! I didn't know they'd do this -- I already ordered it and got it.

        About to start reading.

        -Matt
      • Elaine Normandy
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 13, 2009
          Thanks for the heads-up. I will have to check my schedule and see when I
          can block out the time to read it before buying it though.

          On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 7:07 PM, the_zedmeister <the_zedmeister@...>wrote:

          > Baen Books has just made an eARC (electronic Advance Reader's Copy) of
          > _Bound in Blood_ available at their ebook store, WebScriptions.net. The
          > actual book isn't coming out until March, so this is a chance to read an
          > unpolished version three months in advance.
          >
          > I'm already halfway through it (and loving it!), and I haven't spotted any
          > errors, so the final version probably won't differ much from this one.
          >
          > The price is $15, and it can be purchased here:
          > http://www.webscription.net/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1185&SEName=bound-in-blood-arc
          >
          > There are also sample chapters available.
          >
          > Enjoy! :)

          Elaine Normandy, Colorado Springs
          Weblog: http://www.stardel.com/fiveacres/

        • Robotech_Master
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 13, 2009
            I sure hope people don't post any spoilers, for those of us who can't
            quite justify the extra cash. :P

            --
            Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
            Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
              On 2009-12-11 21:07, the_zedmeister wrote:
              > Baen Books has just made an eARC (electronic Advance Reader's Copy) of _Bound in Blood_ available at their ebook store, WebScriptions.net. The actual book isn't coming out until March, so this is a chance to read an unpolished version three months in advance.
              >
              > I'm already halfway through it (and loving it!), and I haven't spotted any errors, so the final version probably won't differ much from this one.
              >
              > The price is $15, and it can be purchased here: http://www.webscription.net/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1185&SEName=bound-in-blood-arc
              >
              > There are also sample chapters available.
              >
              > Enjoy! :)

              So, those that have read the ARC, what's the reaction?
              --
              david, who loved it
            • Matthew Brown
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                I loved it, but I've been loath to say much until the book is out in print.

                -Matt
              • Tara Marshall
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                  Just read the sample chapters. I'm salivating for the chance to read the full thing (I have lost to much in data crashes to trust electronic copies, and can't afford to pay for the book twice). If nothing else, it apparently ties in some of the things those of us who've read the short story collection already knew might be coming up regarding the three living Knorth. I'll keep that suggestion as my only "spoiler", if it can even be called that, for those who've not read even these chapters yet.

                  Tara

                  To: kencyr@yahoogroups.com
                  From: david@...
                  Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:24:22 -0500
                  Subject: Re: [kencyr] _Bound in Blood_ eARC is available!

                  On 2009-12-11 21:07, the_zedmeister wrote:
                  > Baen Books has just made an eARC (electronic Advance Reader's Copy) of _Bound in Blood_ available at their ebook store, WebScriptions.net. The actual book isn't coming out until March, so this is a chance to read an unpolished version three months in advance.
                  >
                  > I'm already halfway through it (and loving it!), and I haven't spotted any errors, so the final version probably won't differ much from this one.
                  >
                  > The price is $15, and it can be purchased here: http://www.webscription.net/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1185&SEName=bound-in-blood-arc
                  >
                  > There are also sample chapters available.
                  >
                  > Enjoy! :)

                  So, those that have read the ARC, what's the reaction?
                  --
                  david, who loved it

                • Chris Nasipak
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                    At 09:59 PM 1/18/2010, you wrote:

                    >Just read the sample chapters. I'm salivating for the chance to
                    >read the full thing (I have lost to much in data crashes to trust
                    >electronic copies, and can't afford to pay for the book twice). If
                    >nothing else, it apparently ties in some of the things those of us
                    >who've read the short story collection already knew might be coming
                    >up regarding the three living Knorth. I'll keep that suggestion as
                    >my only "spoiler", if it can even be called that, for those who've
                    >not read even these chapters yet.

                    Heh. I'm waiting for full release, myself.

                    As for Baen, I've never had to re-buy a book from them. They keep
                    your purchases online with unlimited re-downloads, no need to
                    repurchase the book. I just went in the other day and re-dl'ed some
                    stuff I'd bought way back when they first started webscriptions.

                    >Tara
                    >

                    >To: kencyr@yahoogroups.com
                    >From: david@...
                    >Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:24:22 -0500
                    >Subject: Re: [kencyr] _Bound in Blood_ eARC is available!
                    >

                    >On 2009-12-11 21:07, the_zedmeister wrote:
                    > > Baen Books has just made an eARC (electronic Advance Reader's
                    > Copy) of _Bound in Blood_ available at their ebook store,
                    > WebScriptions.net. The actual book isn't coming out until March, so
                    > this is a chance to read an unpolished version three months in advance.
                    > >
                    > > I'm already halfway through it (and loving it!), and I haven't
                    > spotted any errors, so the final version probably won't differ much
                    > from this one.
                    > >
                    > > The price is $15, and it can be purchased here:
                    > http://www.webscription.net/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1185&SEName=bound-in-blood-arc
                    > >
                    > > There are also sample chapters available.
                    > >
                    > > Enjoy! :)
                    > >
                    >So, those that have read the ARC, what's the reaction?
                    >--
                    >david, who loved it

                  • Drak Bibliophile
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                      Baen allows you to download their ebooks any number of
                      times.

                      Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile), AIM id DrakeBookLover
                      *
                      Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
                      *

                      From: david@...
                      Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:24:22 -0500

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                        On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Tara Marshall <jamethiel9@...> wrote:
                        > Just read the sample chapters.  I'm salivating for the chance to
                        > read the full thing (I have lost to much in data crashes to trust
                        > electronic copies, and can't afford to pay for the book twice).

                        On this, at least, you can be relieved; Baen allow you to re-download
                        forever. They're not like some e-content vendors where you can only
                        download it once.

                        -Matt
                      • Tony Zbaraschuk
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                          On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 08:24:22PM -0500, David Brukman wrote:
                          > So, those that have read the ARC, what's the reaction?

                          I have a lot to say, but I want to wait until everybody feels
                          free to discuss it.

                          Tony Z

                          --
                          The arithmetic average of a bimodal distribution is not a useful number.
                        • Steve Clark
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 19, 2010
                            In article <4B5509C6.70600@...>,
                            David Brukman <david@...> wrote:
                            > On 2009-12-11 21:07, the_zedmeister wrote:
                            > > Baen Books has just made an eARC (electronic Advance Reader's Copy) of _Bound in Blood_ available at their ebook store, WebScriptions.net. The actual book isn't coming out until March, so this is a chance to read an unpolished version three months in advance.
                            > >
                            > > I'm already halfway through it (and loving it!), and I haven't spotted any errors, so the final version probably won't differ much from this one.
                            > >
                            > > The price is $15, and it can be purchased here: http://www.webscription.net/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1185&SEName=bound-in-blood-arc
                            > >
                            > > There are also sample chapters available.
                            > >
                            > > Enjoy! :)
                            > >
                            > So, those that have read the ARC, what's the reaction?

                            I thought ________ took the _________ news surprisingly well.

                            Impatiently waiting for March.

                            --
                            Steve Clark {sjclark@...}
                            The Kencyr webpage {http://sjclark.orpheusweb.co.uk/kencyr.htm}
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 19, 2010
                              On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Tara Marshall <jamethiel9@...> wrote:

                              > Just read the sample chapters.  I'm salivating for the chance to read the full thing (I have lost to much in data crashes to trust electronic copies, and can't afford to pay for the book twice).

                              I'm sure NOBODY else has told you yet that Baen lets you re-download
                              your books forever. :) I can still d/l e-books I bought from them ten
                              years ago.

                              Though I don't tend to want to buy e-books twice either (I usually buy
                              the webscription months) I ended up succumbing to the temptation after
                              reading the first few chapters this time. For my first time ever. I
                              usually think E-ARCs are a waste of money...but this time it was an
                              E-ARC of Bound in Blood. :P

                              There's a topic for it in the Snerkers forum on the Baen Bar, but only
                              one person other than me replied to it. :P

                              --
                              Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
                              Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
                              robotech.master@... | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
                              robotech@... | Facebook: Robotech.Master | a sig file!
                            • dpacicca
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 19, 2010
                                question here...
                                I read a lot of books on my iPhone using eReader, can you download the ARC to it?
                                (I couldn't figure this one out)

                                thanks
                                Donna
                              • Robotech_Master
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 19, 2010
                                  No, but you could download it to Stanza.

                                  On Tuesday, January 19, 2010, dpacicca <luinil66@...> wrote:
                                  > question here...
                                  > I read a lot of books on my iPhone using eReader, can you download the ARC to it?
                                  > (I couldn't figure this one out)
                                  >
                                  > thanks
                                  > Donna

                                  Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
                                  Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
                                  robotech.master@... | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
                                  robotech@... | Facebook: Robotech.Master | a sig file!
                                • J
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 19, 2010
                                    Loved it.

                                  • Damien Sullivan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 5, 2010
                                      On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 02:07:06AM -0000, the_zedmeister wrote:
                                      > Baen Books has just made an eARC (electronic Advance Reader's Copy) of _Bound in Blood_ available at their ebook store, WebScriptions.net. The actual book isn't coming out until March, so this is a chance to read an unpolished version three months in advance.
                                      >
                                      > I'm already halfway through it (and loving it!), and I haven't spotted any errors, so the final version probably won't differ much from this one.
                                      >
                                      > The price is $15, and it can be purchased here: http://www.webscription.net/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1185&SEName=bound-in-blood-arc

                                      No one asked -- if you buy this, does Baen let you download the polished
                                      e-book when it's ready, or do you have to purchase that separately?

                                      -xx- Damien X-)
                                    • Damien Sullivan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 5, 2010
                                        On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:41:35PM -0800, Damien Sullivan wrote:

                                        > No one asked -- if you buy this, does Baen let you download the polished
                                        > e-book when it's ready, or do you have to purchase that separately?

                                        Oh, found the FAQ:
                                        https://www.webscription.net/t-faq.aspx#12

                                        "ARCs do not include the final proofed version. For the final version
                                        you would have to buy the single or monthly bundle for that book."

                                        So no.

                                        -xx- Damien X-)