Speculation

  • jinx01313
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2009
      Ever wonder if the snakes used to make the cloak are/were some of the river snake's brood?
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2009
        On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:57:41AM -0000, jinx01313 wrote:
        > Ever wonder if the snakes used to make the cloak are/were some of
        > the river snake's brood?

        Unlikely. The Cloak predates the Kencry arrival on Rathiellien.

        Tony Zbaraschuk
        --
        Grandpapa riseth, yawneth like the crater of an extinct volcano,
        proceedeth slowly to the window, and apostrophiseth the Abbey
        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2009
          ---- Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:
          > On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:57:41AM -0000, jinx01313 wrote:
          > > Ever wonder if the snakes used to make the cloak are/were some of
          > > the river snake's brood?
          >
          > Unlikely. The Cloak predates the Kencry arrival on Rathiellien.

          You assume that the River Snake is unique to Rathillien.

          Not necessarily a safe assumption.

          > Tony Zbaraschuk
          > --
          > Grandpapa riseth, yawneth like the crater of an extinct volcano,
          > proceedeth slowly to the window, and apostrophiseth the Abbey
          > in the distance.
          > --The Ingoldsby Legends

        • Robotech_Master
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2009
            On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM, <croaker@...> wrote:

            > You assume that the River Snake is unique to Rathillien.
            >
            > Not necessarily a safe assumption.

            It's made pretty clear in the books that the deities of Rathillien ARE
            unique to Rathilien, and are highly annoyed at outsiders coming in and
            messing everything up.

            There have been humans in all the world of the Chain of Creation, that
            have not been related to each other. Presumably there have been
            snakes, even magical snakes, too.
            --
            Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody help,
            Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | I'm trapped in
            Message 5 of 7 , May 16, 2009
              On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:11:48PM -0400, croaker@... wrote:
              > ---- Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:
              > > On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:57:41AM -0000, jinx01313 wrote:
              > > > Ever wonder if the snakes used to make the cloak are/were some of
              > > > the river snake's brood?
              > >
              > > Unlikely. The Cloak predates the Kencry arrival on Rathiellien.
              > >

              > You assume that the River Snake is unique to Rathillien.
              >
              > Not necessarily a safe assumption.

              Point, but do we have any particular evidence that it's been to
              other worlds, or is from them, or in some way isn't native to
              Rathillien?

              Tony Z
              --
              Grandpapa riseth, yawneth like the crater of an extinct volcano,
              proceedeth slowly to the window, and apostrophiseth the Abbey
              in the distance.
              --The Ingoldsby Legends
            • redcorgipal
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2009
                --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:

                > On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:11:48PM -0400, croaker@... wrote:
                > > ---- Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Unlikely. The Cloak predates the Kencry arrival on Rathiellien.
                > > >

                > > You assume that the River Snake is unique to Rathillien.
                > >
                > > Not necessarily a safe assumption.
                >
                > Point, but do we have any particular evidence that it's been to
                > other worlds, or is from them, or in some way isn't native to
                > Rathillien?

                The snakeskin cloak, like the Book Bound In Pale Leather and the white knife are things of legend to the Kencyrath. They got lost or missplaced when they were betrayed to the dark. Apparently the Master has had them these past 3,000 years, that is until Jame came along and liberated the book and the knife. So I think it's pretty safe to say that the snakeskin cloak isn't native to Rathillien and origionates from one of the fallen worlds back on the chain of creation, a world that you have to go through the master's house to access.

                Cindy
              • Robert Sier
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2009
                  The catch is potentially in what Catilla said, I believe...I think it was her, at least.  She declared that local mythology holds that the River Snake is descended from the Chaos Serpent, and the Chaos Serpent was spawned by the primal Perimal Darkling before the Chain of Creation was wrought from it.

                  Now, that might be just Rathillien mythology, but if it's not and the Chaos Serpent is descended from Perimal Darkling, then theoretically, yes, the Serpent Skin Cloak could be related to the River Snake.

                  I kinda don't think it's likely...but it could be.