Re: Hodgell like books also SPOILER STUFF

  • dpacicca@bu.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2001
      --- In kencyr@y..., crisduhfer@y... wrote:
      > just a note... I'm very very surprised not to see Anne Bishop
      > mentioned as a P.C.Hodgell like author. she has written a trilogy
      > that remind me very much of p.c.hodgells' work. very dark, very
      > sexual.... fun fun fun.
      >
      > Daughter of the Blood
      >
      > Heir to the Shadows
      >
      > Queen of the Darkness

      Chris, thanks for the rec... I ended up getting them from Amazon (had
      a gift cert, so it only cost me shipping!)... really great reading, I
      too liked the character development, but also liked the way that she
      allowed the trilogy to end, and not continually introduce new
      characters/events like so many fantasy series of late have done
      (think Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind eg)

      currently I'm reading "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski... about a
      third of the way thru, v. cool book, but I can't bring myself to read
      it at night b/c it's rather scary and I have too much of an overactive
      imagination!
      basically, a variant on the haunted house idea, but with several
      twists, I'll let you all know how it goes. The interesting thing
      about the book is that it's somewhat linked to the new CD "Haunted" by
      Poe (MD is her brother) which is also really cool.

      you can also check out www.p-o-e.com and www.houseofleaves.com for
      more info if you're interested, the poe site needs flashplayer and
      shockwave plugins.

      am still looking out for my new seeker's mask edition, and of course
      am pretty fired up about the idea of book 4...
      SPOILER SPACE

      while SM was a bit looser in terms of storyline (meaning there was a
      lot more things going on that kept coming in), I'm looking forward to
      more info on the Randir heir, the shadow guild, the women's circle, as
      well as vicious politicking amongst the Kencyr Highborn. Also, am
      interested in how Tori and Jame are potentially going to "hook up" for
      lack of a better term (Melinda had mentioned this in a previous post
      about book 4)... they seem to dance around each other because of each
      others discomfort and distrust maybe? but I imagine some physical
      battle between them to set things off, for some reason

      Donna