Hodgell like books

  • crisduhfer@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
      just a note... I'm very very surprised not to see Anne Bishop
      mentioned as a P.C.Hodgell like author. she has written a trilogy
      that remind me very much of p.c.hodgells' work. very dark, very
      sexual.... fun fun fun.

      Daughter of the Blood

      Heir to the Shadows

      Queen of the Darkness

      they are available at most bookstores and of course amazon.com. The
      books are great because they do introduce a new premise for magic
      (which if you read enough fantasy.. is VERY hard to find) and has
      such a great hand with character development! give them a try!

      chris
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
        On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:17:28PM -0000, crisduhfer@... wrote:
        > just a note... I'm very very surprised not to see Anne Bishop
        > mentioned as a P.C.Hodgell like author. she has written a trilogy
        > that remind me very much of p.c.hodgells' work. very dark, very
        > sexual.... fun fun fun.

        Some parts of them, anyway. Some parts are _really_ strange and
        graphic. Not for the easily squickable. Worth reading, though.

        Tony Z
        --
        "The King with half the East at heel is marched from lands of morning;
        His fighters drink the rivers up, their shafts benight the air,
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
          How about Star Rider by Doris Piserchia? It's got a strong independent
          female lead character. It's a scifi book about how humans have evolved
          into space travelling nomads with telepathic powers and telepathic
          beasts (mounts) and each travel the galaxy by joining his/her mind
          together with his/her mount. It's a little bit campy, but it's one of my
          all-time favorite books. It's long out of print however, but a used
          bookstore might have it or there's always www.abebooks.com.

          Sharpn
        • David Brukman
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2001
            I like Piserchia, although I would not have associated
            her with Hodgell. The latter is much more intricate and
            atmospheric than Piserchia.

            I like _The Dimensioneers_ by Doris Piserchia is similar to
            _Star Rider_, and is even more enjoyable. I believe I enjoyed
            all of Piserchia's work, including _I Zombie_ published
            as Curt Selby.
            --
            David Brukman "Long live Jame Talissen!"
            http://InOtherWorlds.com "Fantasy, SF & Mystery Reviews"

          • dpacicca@bu.edu
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26 6:14 AM
              --- In kencyr@y..., crisduhfer@y... wrote:
              > just a note... I'm very very surprised not to see Anne Bishop
              > mentioned as a P.C.Hodgell like author. she has written a trilogy
              > that remind me very much of p.c.hodgells' work. very dark, very
              > sexual.... fun fun fun.
              >
              > Daughter of the Blood
              >
              > Heir to the Shadows
              >
              > Queen of the Darkness

              Chris, thanks for the rec... I ended up getting them from Amazon (had
              a gift cert, so it only cost me shipping!)... really great reading, I
              too liked the character development, but also liked the way that she
              allowed the trilogy to end, and not continually introduce new
              characters/events like so many fantasy series of late have done
              (think Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind eg)

              currently I'm reading "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski... about a
              third of the way thru, v. cool book, but I can't bring myself to read
              it at night b/c it's rather scary and I have too much of an overactive
              imagination!
              basically, a variant on the haunted house idea, but with several
              twists, I'll let you all know how it goes. The interesting thing
              about the book is that it's somewhat linked to the new CD "Haunted" by
              Poe (MD is her brother) which is also really cool.

              you can also check out www.p-o-e.com and www.houseofleaves.com for
              more info if you're interested, the poe site needs flashplayer and
              shockwave plugins.

              am still looking out for my new seeker's mask edition, and of course
              am pretty fired up about the idea of book 4...
              SPOILER SPACE

              while SM was a bit looser in terms of storyline (meaning there was a
              lot more things going on that kept coming in), I'm looking forward to
              more info on the Randir heir, the shadow guild, the women's circle, as
              well as vicious politicking amongst the Kencyr Highborn. Also, am
              interested in how Tori and Jame are potentially going to "hook up" for
              lack of a better term (Melinda had mentioned this in a previous post
              about book 4)... they seem to dance around each other because of each
              others discomfort and distrust maybe? but I imagine some physical
              battle between them to set things off, for some reason

              Donna