Randir and other House speculation

  • hoodoo4u
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
      --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:
      > The Randir Witch put out the contract, IIRC.

      Correct. This is broadly hinted at in the novels, and explicitly
      stated in "Lost Knots", a story in the _Blood and Ivory_ collection.
      It would seem that she likewise put out the contract on Kinzi and all
      the women of her house.

      Among other things, Rawneth aimed to put her own son not only at the
      head of House Randir but, through virtue of Knorth blood, on the
      Highlord's seat. What forces pushed Rawneth to such extremes at so
      young an age remain unrevealed, as Jame has yet to puzzle them out.

      Here is a question I have of my own:

      Ishtier, and his brother Anar, both apparantly highborn, one a priest
      and one a scrollsman, accompanied Ganth Greylord into exile. Were
      they Knorth? If not, why accept exile with a lord whose power was
      broken? If so, were they of mixed blood? And in that case, of what
      other House?

      If Jame, Tori and Kindrie are the last three Knorth highborn, is that
      because Ishtier is of mixed lineage, or because he is a priest and
      therefore has no house ties, or because he is a renegade and, like
      Gerridon, no longer "counts" as Knorth?
    • Shel
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
        I may be wrong, but wasn't Rawneth once in love/attracted to a Knorth, only to be turned away by Kinzie? Or am I confusing my characters?

        If so, perhaps her drive is purely revenge, a la 'the woman scorned'. You didn't think I was good enough (whether it be through a darkling taint or simply her personality), now I'll show you how good I am, by destroying your entire House and replacing it with mine.

        Or maybe there's more there yet to be revealed. That's the beauty of this story. Just when you think it's been figured out -- Ms. Hodgell comes up with twists we could never have foreseen, but fit nicely into the plot!

        Shel

        > The Randir Witch put out the contract, IIRC.

        Correct. This is broadly hinted at in the novels, and explicitly
        stated in "Lost Knots", a story in the _Blood and Ivory_ collection.
        It would seem that she likewise put out the contract on Kinzi and all
        the women of her house.

        Among other things, Rawneth aimed to put her own son not only at the
        head of House Randir but, through virtue of Knorth blood, on the
        Highlord's seat. What forces pushed Rawneth to such extremes at so
        young an age remain unrevealed, as Jame has yet to puzzle them out.

        Here is a question I have of my own:

        Ishtier, and his brother Anar, both apparantly highborn, one a priest
        and one a scrollsman, accompanied Ganth Greylord into exile. Were
        they Knorth? If not, why accept exile with a lord whose power was
        broken? If so, were they of mixed blood? And in that case, of what
        other House?

        If Jame, Tori and Kindrie are the last three Knorth highborn, is that
        because Ishtier is of mixed lineage, or because he is a priest and
        therefore has no house ties, or because he is a renegade and, like
        Gerridon, no longer "counts" as Knorth?

      • Jamethiel ???
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
          Rawneth was after Ganth Grey Lord's older brother, before he died, because she wanted to marry the next high lord of the Kencyrath. It wasn't so much love as it was lust for power. Kinzie rebuffed her ambitions, in part because no highlord has ever been anything but full Knorth blood.
          Tara

          To: kencyr@yahoogroups.comFrom: archersaim@...: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:06:13 -0700Subject: Re: [kencyr] Randir and other House speculation

          I may be wrong, but wasn't Rawneth once in love/attracted to a Knorth, only to be turned away by Kinzie? Or am I confusing my characters? If so, perhaps her drive is purely revenge, a la 'the woman scorned'. You didn't think I was good enough (whether it be through a darkling taint or simply her personality), now I'll show you how good I am, by destroying your entire House and replacing it with mine. Or maybe there's more there yet to be revealed. That's the beauty of this story. Just when you think it's been figured out -- Ms. Hodgell comes up with twists we could never have foreseen, but fit nicely into the plot! Shel--- On Mon, 9/8/08, hoodoo4u <hoodoo4u@...> wrote:From: hoodoo4u <hoodoo4u@...>Subject: [kencyr] Randir and other House speculationTo: kencyr@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, September 8, 2008, 3:34 AM--- In kencyr@yahoogroups. com, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:> The Randir Witch put out the contract, IIRC.Correct. This is broadly hinted at in the novels, and explicitlystated in "Lost Knots", a story in the _Blood and Ivory_ collection.It would seem that she likewise put out the contract on Kinzi and allthe women of her house.Among other things, Rawneth aimed to put her own son not only at thehead of House Randir but, through virtue of Knorth blood, on theHighlord's seat. What forces pushed Rawneth to such extremes at soyoung an age remain unrevealed, as Jame has yet to puzzle them out. Here is a question I have of my own:Ishtier, and his brother Anar, both apparantly highborn, one a priestand one a scrollsman, accompanied Ganth Greylord into exile. Werethey Knorth? If not, why accept exile with a lord whose power wasbroken? If so, were they of mixed blood? And in that case, of whatother House?If Jame, Tori and Kindrie are the last three Knorth highborn, is thatbecause Ishtier is of mixed lineage, or because he is a priest andtherefore has no house ties, or because he is a renegade and, likeGerridon, no longer "counts" as Knorth?[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Paula Lieberman
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
            Rawneth had been contracted to have an marriage to Ganth, but the one she
            wanted was the older brother who was the Knorth Lordan--Rawneth wanted power
            nd the older brother was the next presumptive Highlord, and she wanted to be
            his consort and bear him a son for the power it would give her... Ganth
            wasn't the heir.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
              Ah, so maybe that explains why she went after Kinzie (and every other Knorth female). Kill them off, and there's no more pureborn Knorth Highlord, and she can neatly step in, as the next strongest House!

              Shel

              Rawneth was after Ganth Grey Lord's older brother, before he died, because
              she wanted to marry the next high lord of the Kencyrath. It wasn't so much
              love as it was lust for power. Kinzie rebuffed her ambitions, in part because
              no highlord has ever been anything but full Knorth blood.
              Tara

              To: kencyr@yahoogroups.comFrom: archersaim@...: Mon, 8 Sep 2008
              14:06:13 -0700Subject: Re: [kencyr] Randir and other House speculation