Who?

  • jinx01313
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
      I'm confused.

      IF Meisha Merlin is out of business then who is publishing this
      godstalk reprints with new covers? Amazon claims its MM but they are
      still on pre-order. FTW?

      http://amazon.com/God-Stalk-P-C-Hodgell/dp/1592221351/ref=pd_ys_qtk_rnr_img/105-3508702-8673254?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0E14J38RPSJ8F6QT2Z3B&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=236216601&pf_rd_i=home
    • Robotech_Master
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
        --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, "jinx01313" <larkinr@...> wrote:

        > IF Meisha Merlin is out of business then who is publishing this
        > godstalk reprints with new covers? Amazon claims its MM but they are
        > still on pre-order. FTW?

        Survey says…nobody!

        That book was probably listed with Amazon way back before MM announced
        they were going under, and Amazon never bothered to de-list it.
        Something similar happened for Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's _Web of
        the Trident,_ which had never even made it out of first draft form by
        its erstwhile publishing date.

        They'll de-list it eventually.
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
          I suspect that the folks at Amazon have not updated their database. I
          would not be surprised if the
          reprint just does not happen, at least this specific reprint.

          I would love another company to pick up the whole series. I would buy
          the whole series again.

        • paal@gis.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
            ----- Original Message Follows -----
            > I'm confused.
            >
            > IF Meisha Merlin is out of business then who is publishing this
            > godstalk reprints with new covers? Amazon claims its MM but they are
            > still on pre-order. FTW?

            I -think- that the situation is that a) "the distribution system" had
            inventory of books, and b) there are creditors which may have gained
            financial control.

            Apparently Steve Miller went down to where Meisha Merlin's internal book
            stock had been, rented a truck, and drove back to Maine having collected
            all the Sharon Lee and Steve Miller books that were the remaining stock
            in Meisha Merlin's possession, and the remaining stock of books of one
            other author. There are books that Meisha Merlin had at the time it
            went out of business, and there were books that were out in the
            "distribution channel" (some small presses lost tens of thousands of
            dollars of books when a distributor which had stock of their books (not
            paid for, the publisher doesn't get paid until after the books actually
            sell in much of the distribution system...) went bankrupt, and the
            senior debt owners took custody of the unpaid for books and sold them
            off at bulk remainder prices to get quick cash). There's some
            discussion at Steve Miller's and Sharon Lee's LiveJournal blogs, at
            e.g. http://rolanni.livejournal.com and http://kinzel.livejournal.com

            Meanwhile, Baen is doing electronic versions of P. C. Hodgell's books
            (and of the Liaden books of Lee and Miller)
          • Tony Zbaraschuk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
              On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:58:28AM -0400, Bob wrote:
              > I suspect that the folks at Amazon have not updated their database. I
              > would not be surprised if the
              > reprint just does not happen, at least this specific reprint.
              >
              > I would love another company to pick up the whole series. I would buy
              > the whole series again.

              Baen Books has e-versions available ;)

              Tony Z

              --
              ...civilization is not self-perpetuating. It takes a conscious
              decision on the part of many people, a constant effort to be guided
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
                On 6/7/07, Bob <rmoss@...> wrote:

                > I would love another company to pick up the whole series. I would buy
                > the whole series again.

                Check out my interview with P.C. Hodgell at

                http://terrania.us/biblio

                for some insights into that possibility.
                --
                Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody help,
                Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | I'm trapped in
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
                  I am new to the list .

                  I saw the ebooks on baen today but they listed Meisha Merlin as
                  source and showed as unavailable when checked them.
                  Did anyone find then currently available in e format somewhere. I
                  have a bookclub version of Godstalk I want to switch to electronic.

                  --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:58:28AM -0400, Bob wrote:
                  > > I suspect that the folks at Amazon have not updated their
                  database. I
                  > > would not be surprised if the
                  > > reprint just does not happen, at least this specific reprint.
                  > >
                  > > I would love another company to pick up the whole series. I would
                  buy
                  > > the whole series again.
                  >
                  > Baen Books has e-versions available ;)
                  >

                  > Tony Z
                  >

                  > > jinx01313 wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I'm confused.
                  > > >
                  > > > IF Meisha Merlin is out of business then who is publishing this
                  > > > godstalk reprints with new covers? Amazon claims its MM but
                  they are
                  > > > still on pre-order. FTW?
                  > > >
                  > > > http://amazon.com/God-Stalk-P-C-
                  Hodgell/dp/1592221351/ref=pd_ys_qtk_rnr_img/105-3508702-8673254?
                  pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-
                  5&pf_rd_r=0E14J38RPSJ8F6QT2Z3B&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=236216601&pf_rd_i=
                  home
                  > > > <http://amazon.com/God-Stalk-P-C-
                  Hodgell/dp/1592221351/ref=pd_ys_qtk_rnr_img/105-3508702-8673254?
                  pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-
                  5&pf_rd_r=0E14J38RPSJ8F6QT2Z3B&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=236216601&pf_rd_i=
                  home>

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > --
                  > ...civilization is not self-perpetuating. It takes a conscious
                  > decision on the part of many people, a constant effort to be guided
                  > by conscience, a determination to struggle against barbarity.
                  > --Pundita

                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 2007
                    Try this link: http://www.webscription.net/p-643-god-stalker-chronicles.aspx

                    I might as well intro myself since I'm jumping in. I read a short
                    story, years ago, in some anthology. I don't remember the name of the
                    anthology or the other stories in there, but the story about a girl
                    named Jame and place called Perimal Darkling haunted me. I always
                    wondered if the writer had ever written more about her and what had
                    happened to her. I was thrilled to run into the first two books of the
                    series in my local used bookstore a few months ago. I read through
                    them quickly and decided to see if I could find out anything else
                    online, now that I finally knew the author's name. When I found the
                    entire collection on Baen, I couldn't hit "buy" fast enough.

                    I love the books. They are so well-written. The characterization is
                    great, her pacing is wonderful - everything about them is fantastic.
                    Not to mention very creative, not just the same old worlds and
                    plotlines. I sincerely hope there will be many more.

                    I ran across this group while looking for fansites, hoping to find
                    more information on the future of the series and decided this was
                    where I needed to be!

                    So there you go. :)

                    Jennifer