Finished

  • John Hurst
    Message 1 of 88 , Dec 6, 2006
      Between the difficulty (my own fault, actually) in acquiring the
      books, and my innate slowness in reading, coupled with a desire to
      relish every word and cherish it, since it may be awhile before there
      are more new ones to cherish, I am finally finished with To Ride a
      Rathorn (and the bonus book, Blood and Ivory, which I had not been
      able to afford for a long time). So now that everyone else is talked
      out, I am ready to go<G>. I found this book to be the best, and
      easiest to read, since Godstalk, though that one is still my favourite
      of the series, and TRaR left fewer questions in my mind than any since
      GS also. Now, all there is is waiting for the obviously needed
      finishing book. That was the only weakness in the book, IMO, that it
      left so many threads still so tangled, while only partially resolving
      the one that was the major theme of the book. Can't wait to see what
      is next, and I just hope it makes it out before I am too old to care<G>.
    • hoodoo4u
      Message 88 of 88 , Jul 4, 2007
        --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, Heather Hunt <nikkiflinn@...> wrote:

        > I will admit that Tori has his own power, but you can't deny his new
        use of it does tend to coincide with Jame and her various scrapes.

        Destruction of the old makes way for Creation of the new so, yes.

        But part of this is simply that we are seeing this principally as
        Jame's story, and haven't seen much of Tori aside from that.

        Tori has his own power, certainly. He had become Highlord by sheer
        force of personality, three years before Jame re-entered his life,
        without Ganth's ring or sword to affirm his identity. The other
        highborn may have rationalized this a "buying a season of peace from
        blood-feuds", but I believe it is simply a manifestation of his sheer
        power. Remember he has more Kendar bound to him personally than any
        other lord in the Kencyrath.

        > True, Tori did seek out his bound after the battles which means at
        > some level he's starting to come to terms with who and what he is.

        Actually, I see this more as him doing what he thinks a good officer
        does, a glimpse at what made him a respected Hundred-Commander and
        later Commandant of the Southern Host. Sure, it is his bond to his
        Kendar he is following, but does he really think about that? Most
        lords don't realize that they are Shanir. Tori certainly doesn't, and
        avoids thinking about things that might indicate otherwise.