Re: Bane's parentage

  • jinx01313
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
      --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Lieberman" <paal@g...> wrote:

> [...]
      Canon?

      > > treated to (snip)
      > > will
      > > town."

      > > of text

      > > In addition Melinda's entry on the fratricide prediction. Among
      the
      > > Dead in B&I, Anar notes that the priest had run off with the
      Ganth's
      > > kendar mistress. This of course fits in with Godstalk Abottirr
      (sp)
      > > wife, bane's mother arriving with Ishtier.
      >
      > There's another place in Seeker's Mask, where the fratricide gets
      mentioned
      > and that it's thought that Tori is meant, as opposed to Bane.

      True, but that is suggested to Kindrie by Ishtier. SM also has the
      burnt man grabbing Jame to exact vengence on Bane's behalf. Bane is
      the one that the burnt man abides by not Jame. (The burnt man and
      burnt ones are referenced in DotM as those that hunt down parricides
      on Merkit land.) It is still a possibility given the god-voice isn't
      specific. Jame's presence has been rather hard on her kin. *G*
    • Paula Lieberman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
        p 85-86 Meisha Merlin trade paperback of Seeker's MaskL

        "The dream began as it always did: Jame was searching for Tori....
        "...
        "Then she was searching for Tori again because he had sent her away, and now
        he was hiding from her, as if this were some silly game.
        "On Spring Eve she found him at least, standing at the edge of the Southern
        Wastes, his back to her. He was holding Kin-Slayer and listening to the
        [the mad voice of Ganth]. Unnoticed, the blood ran down the sword's blade
        from his hand, where the teeth [under the cracked crest on the hilt] did
        their malicious, silent work.
        "She called his name: "Brother."
        "I refuse to dream this!" he snapped, and walked rapidly away,
        ""Come back to me!" she cried after him. "You can't run away from me
        forever!"
        "But he had already disappeared int othe blowing sand.
        "No, not sand but dry leaves, hitting her face with furtive, brittle taps.
        Before her lay a gray city street, lined with decaying houses. Something
        dark crawled over the broken cobblestones toward her, its shadowy fingers
        delicately probing the rubble as it came... The Lower Town Monster, not
        destroyed after all, whispered a voice on the wind....
        "...She was in the Blue Pass of the Ebonbane, facing eastward toward
        Tai-Tastigon. Something was crawling toward her like a shadow cast on the
        snow. Then it raised its head, and she recognized Bane's features.
        "The wrong brother had answered her. ...":

        p 147

        "She knew she should be frightened, but Aerulan held her. Their eyes met
        over her head, Bane's silver-gray and Aerulan's too, like her own. it was,
        after all, a family trait. The shand man sketched an ironic bow, as it to
        say:
        ""If nott now, later. I can wait."
        "The patches of light that has been his eyes seemed to blink. Then they
        fluttered away. Not moss. Moths.
        ""Laer, what?" she cried after him. "Dammit, Bane, you're my b..."
        "But the words died on her lips. She have evoked him by it before, but did
        he truly know they were half-siblings? She had only guessed it herself
        during her last confrontation with Ishtier, after the mob had taken Bane off
        the the Mercy Seat..."

        [repeat of the scene from Godstalk]

        [Bane's mother is Kendar, his father was Kencyr Highborn. His mother had
        been "the mistress of the old Lord" at North Kenshold--Ganth, though Jame
        had not known her father was Ganth and her father had been the Lord at the
        keep. The only three adult male Highborn had been Anar, Ganth, and before
        he decamped, Ishtier. All three were Knorth. Bane's mother being Ganth's
        mistress is sufficient condition for Bane to be Ganth's elder son. Who else
        could have been Bane's father? Tori and Bane look alike, both have
        silver-gray eyes, and Tori looks like Ganth--there was the comparison of
        Tori to a Knorth death banner back in Dark of the Moon, and Jedrak Lord
        Jaran mistook Tori for Ganth.]

        p 148

        "In Judgment Square, the holocaust wind blew away piles of as--all that
        remained of the mob that had stormed the Thieves' Guild in search of Dally's
        murderer. On the Mercy Seat sat a figure, charred black, the greasy smoke
        still seeping out of fissures in its skin. Its cinder-lump of a head was
        cocked as if listening.
        "From the hills above the immolated city cam a yelping cry, "Wha, wha, wha?"
        ""HA!" boomed back the answer--and the thing on the Mercy Seat, the Burnt
        Man, rose to summon his pack of the burning damned so that they might hunt
        down one more to join their number, while the fratricide's blood was still
        fresh..."

        p 175-176, Meisha Merlin trade paperback of Seeker's MaskL

        "...She could feel the het of the quickening flames through her glove, as
        well as the crushing pressure of the Burning Man. Kin-slayers were his
        special prey, and this time she was without Aerulan's protection. Her
        fingertips began to smolder. She remembered the the story of a Merikit
        fratricide who had been pulled through a campfire into the ground beneath.
        All his companions could save had been a boot, with his foot still in it.
        "Bane watched, his eyes reflecting only fire. Had none of his dubious
        humanity survived?.... Buth.... Perhaps he could still be reached.
        ""Yuour choice, b-brother."
        "An absolute stillness came over the figure opposite. He hadn't known,
        hadn't even guessed, but Jame could feel the conviction of it sink in, as it
        had with her in the Tastigon temple. For a moment they stared at each
        other. Then he threw back his head and silently laughed....
        ""Choose, dammit!"
        "His laughter ceased. He looked at her, expressionless again, and then
        leaned forward. Between the flares of firelight, his face dissolved into
        shadow, but she could read his lips.
        ""...my choise, then: no blood-price, sister..."

        p 394

        "...Bane held out the coat like a trophy skin and dropped it at Jame's feet.
        "She had risen and was standing just barely within the light, close enough
        to touch him or to be touched.
        "Since that night in Tai-tastigon had she seen him so clearly. Never before
        had she realized how much like Torisen he looked, especially in the elegant
        lines of his face and hands. But although his eyes mirrored the true Knorth
        silver, almost luminous in this half-light, they hadn't the depth either of
        Tori's self-doubt or of his intrinsic strength. Bane had always believed
        that in the end he could defeat his own damnation, that an honorable death
        would wipe away stains even as black as his. How often she had seen the
        arrogance of that faith in his lazy, mocking smile.
        "He wasn't smiling now.
        "In his hand he held the Ivrory Knife, gripped perilously by the flat
        between thumb and forefinger, its point resting lightly on his plam. He was
        offering it to her, hilt first.
        "Could the dead die...
        "His voice didn't carry beyond the shadow's pall, but she saw his lips move:
        "...your choice, sister..."

        p 409

        [Ashe] ""...Bane's farewell kiss...in Tai-tastigon. Your blood in his
        mouth...his in yours. He was trying...to blood-bind you."
        [Jame] "It was said to run in families. Of the three of them [Bane, Tori,
        and Jame], only Bane had played with blood and knives enough to make such a
        discovery on his own."

        p 460-1, then 464]

        [Kindrie is in Jame's complicated soulscape with all the

        "The eyes behing the mask snapped open