Re: Series

  • Renee Daniels
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
      --- In kencyr@yahoogroups.com, "Gennina Gerrofello"
      <jazrainwater@h...> wrote:
      > I too enjoyed the BJT, but Anne writes Fantasy pulp fiction. She's
      humorous
      > and tends to make fun of pulp fiction and thus herself. Her
      writing reminds
      > me vaguely of JK Rowlying, they both poke fun of themselves and the
      world at
      > large, and spin new myth from old.

      I liked BJT too, but the strength of the Triliogy was in the first
      book. After that, her style became watered down and a bit trite. As
      for favorites:

      Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos Series
      C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner, Fortress, and Rider Series'
      Stephen R. Donaldson's Covenant the Unbeliever and Gap Series'
      Guy Gavirel Kay's Lions of Al-Rassan, Tigana, and Song
      Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea and Left Hand of Darkness
      Patricia A. McKillip's Winter Rose and anything else
      George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire
      Roger Zelazny's Amber

      Also entertaining but not as good are Michelle West's FIRST book and
      Katherine Kurtz's early works (before the mid-90's)...

      ~Renee