Happy Beltaine!

  • Kelley
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      I wanted to wish you all a happy Beltaine. For us here in Arizona, it
      means a scorching summer is just around the corner, but for most people
      it means that the cold weather is finally over.

      Beltaine means 'good fire' and is connected with the sun's warmth and
      the resulting fertility of crops and cattle. To the ancient people of
      Ireland, this was important to ensure their survival. Beltaine was
      probably celebrated in Scotland and in parts of Britain because
      Beltaine features as an important day in Welsh stories in the
      Mabinogion when the barriers were thin between the earthly and faery
      realm. At this time humans could safely enter the faery realm. Beltaine
      may have been associated with the sun god Belenos, who was worshipped
      in Gaul, Italy and the Alps.

      The magic of this time of year is evident in the multi-colored blossoms
      and thick-leaved trees that appear all around us. So, go outside and
      take in the beauty of nature and the gifts of the earth mother.

      Slainte!
      Kelley
    • Drea
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        Thanks Kelley, that was nice. I have been wondering a bit about the background for Beltaine. Now I know!

        Thanks,
        Drea

        Kelley <kelleyheckart@...> wrote:
[...]

        Its not PMS. I'm always this charming.