Fwd: [North Carolina Partisan Rangers] Governor Ellis' Opinion on Secession (Jan. 1861)

  • David Towery
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      Jeff Melton <presidentdavis1861@...> wrote: To: northcarolinapartisanrangers@yahoogroups.com
      From: Jeff Melton <presidentdavis1861@...>
      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 04:09:31 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: [North Carolina Partisan Rangers] Governor Ellis' Opinion on Secession (Jan. 1861)

      Letter from Governor John W. Ellis to Georgia Governor Joseph E. Brown

      I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of two dispatches from you on the 19th inst. the latter of which informed me that Georgia has formally seceded from the Union.

      I trust that this event is the beginning of a future of prosperity, peace and happiness for the people of Georgia and my earnest desire is that North Carolina will unite her destinies, by a formal act, as they are now in fact united with the Seceding States. The information furnished by your first dispatch, that a Convention of the Seceding States would be held in Montgomery on the 4th of Feb. next to form a Confederated government, will furnish the occasion of a few Suggestions on my part. North Carolina will not be represented in that Convention, but I trust and believe, will Soon enter into the government which the Convention will form, particularly if it Should be an acceptable government. . . .

      Governor John W. Ellis, Executive Department, Raleigh, North Carolina, Jan. 21st 1861

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.