Protecting the First Amendment

  • Mandy Nikodim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi,
      I am new to this group, and just wanted your opinion
      on a situation we are facing in our town. In September
      four freshmen boys at our local school supposedly made
      unappropriate comments to a girl of mixed parentage.
      But prior to that comment this girl had been called to
      the principal's office because of a shirt that was too
      short and violated the school dress code. So that girl
      in retribution for getting in trouble for her
      offensive shirt, went to the principal and stated that
      the confederate flag offended her. Because that girl
      was a star volleyball player and her mother a coach,
      the principal chose to ban the flag instead of
      punishing the boys that made the comment. Even though
      the flag itself was not the problem and was not being
      used as a racial slur. My mother contacted the
      superintendent and he at first told her that he had
      complaints against my brothers, so she said she wanted
      to know who had complained so that she could make the
      boys appoligize, he then said he didn't really have
      complaints against them, but some of their friends. He
      said they we guilty by association. She then wanted to
      talk to the school board. But at our school if you
      want to speak to the board, it has to be okayed by the
      superintendent, and he told her no. I wrote a letter
      to our newspaper as did my mother. Then the
      superintendent wrote a reply which essentially called
      my mother a liar, that he never said she could not go
      to the board. So finally three months later she got to
      speak to the board, but our school board does whatever
      the superintendent says, so it really did no good.
      This is not the first time he has told parents they
      could not talk to the board, what good is a school
      board if you can't speak to them? I just don't think
      it is right to punish the entire school for the sins
      of a few, when the flag was never the issue in the
      first place. Those boys have their feelings and just
      because they were known to wear the flag does not mean
      everyone who does so is racist. What do you think?
      Sincerely,
      Mandy

      =====
      Have a nice day! :)
      Mandy

      =====
      Have a nice day! :)
      Mandy

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Soupy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2005
        Mandy: This happening, not only in your town but, in towns all over
        the south and mid south even as far north as to where I live (North
        Western KY) Until we can stop our local do gooders or what we call
        your "White City Folk", from being scared sh*tless of blacks and
        their white representives, as in your school board. We have seen
        this going on for years now in our area also... Seems if the black
        want a day off from school, they find something that offends them in
        or around the schools, then they walk... Your "White City Folk" then
        get scared that their Gov. is going to stop their "Free" money they
        have coming in, because of this small up rising, that they will find
        a white person to blame it on and expel them.. Just so they can look
        good for their black (money makers) . Not too long ago, here in KY
        we had a young white man to get shot to death for flying a Rebel
        Flag in the back of his truck.. Funny thing about it, it was his
        school colors and one of the black "boys" that shot him played
        football on the same team as he. Naturally this died out quickly
        but, now if it were a black man being shot by a white man, they
        would still be talking about it.
        Sorry to say all you can do for now is to stick with it and don't
        let your local Gov. stop you from feeling the way you do about your
        flag... I have had KY State police to come to my house and tell me
        to take my flag down because they were afraid it would start
        trouble, well needless to say, ...IT'S Still flying and has been for
        23 years and will keep on flying as long as I live. It's not a
        racist thing, it's my heritage.

        --- In keepourconfererateflagflying@yahoogroups.com, Mandy Nikodim