Simple Question

  • letoya ward
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2003
      hi, i was wondering if you could explain to me what the confederate flag represents?What do the stars and the X mean on the flag?

      I was always told that it represented slavery and did not support equal rights for all individuals.

    • Doug Jay
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2003
        The stars are for the seccesion states like the thirteen stripes on the American flag were for the original colonies. The cross serction of stars on the flag do not represent a national flag, it was the battle flag, (square), and the navy jack. The original confederate flag is the stars and bars, which was confused in battle with old glory. The civil war flag had nothing to do with slavery, as did the cause. Slavery had little to do with the war. It was all a matter of states rights. As in the constitution, any given state has the power to do as it seems right, regardless of what the federal govt. says. As in 1860, like today, the federal govt, imposes it's will with a " do it or forget the funding " attitude along with the" freedom of what?". Most of all, it's what you think the flag stood for. Ethnicity had little to do with it. Slavery, is not anywhere to be construde with this historical emblem. Write back, good or bad. Talk to ya later! Doug My spelling has alot to be desired, eh?
        letoya ward <fslpw@...> wrote:
        hi, i was wondering if you could explain to me what the confederate flag represents?What do the stars and the X mean on the flag?

        I was always told that it represented slavery and did not support equal rights for all individuals.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • letoya ward

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 26, 2003
                  We fly the flag of the Confederacy, because it is the flag of our
                  country. Let it be known that the Confederate States of America was
                  a legitimate nation, with legitimate government, legislation, and
                  foreign policy, etc. That nation was conquered and occupied. The
                  thirteen states of that nation was forced to recognise the occupying
                  government as its own, and adhere to the occupying nation's flag. We
                  fly our flag because we have not forgotten, nor will we ever. We
                  will not recognise the bias in the occupying government's history and
                  literature, regardless of how deeply engrained it has become. We fly
                  the flag because we know the truth. We are the source of the truth.
                  Lastly, I should say this, it is offensive to call the war a "Civil
                  War." It was not! By referring to the war in such a manner, makes
                  the Confederacy illegitimate.

                  --- In keepourconfererateflagflying@yahoogroups.com, Doug Jay
                  <soonerjay2002@y...> wrote:

                  > You did'nt offend me at all, because I also abhore slavery although
                  it's still going on in certain countries. I do'nt fly the confederate
                  flag to offend anyone, it was a part of our history. I have always
                  been fascinated about the civil war. The south lost the war, but the
                  history will always be there. We should not forget about things like
                  that, learn from our mistakes, never let it happen again. Human
                  rights should be treated with the utmost authority. It is nice to
                  talk about this here, and lucky we do'nt live in china or cuba.
                  Although the civil war period was a bit on the gloomy side, it
                  eventually led, albeit too long, to better life. I also know that it
                  has not yet come full cirle, but I hope it does in my lifetime. I
                  will still fly the flag, not as a pro-slavery jerk, but because of
                  it's historical value. Write back! Doug
                  > letoya ward <fslpw@y...> wrote:
                  > Your saying that the war was over states rights and not slavery and
                  that's what the confederate flag represents, but what about
                  individual right not to be enslaved. What i mean is that all of the
                  states that wanted states right, owned slaves. I don't see what the
                  point is of flying the confederate flag because, when most people see
                  it, they think or feel in a negative way. The flag doesn't unite
                  people, it alginates people. Write back and let me know what you
                  think about what i said, i hope i didn't offend you in any way, if i
                  did sorry.
                  > Doug Jay <soonerjay2002@y...> wrote:
                  > The stars are for the seccesion states like the thirteen stripes on
                  the American flag were for the original colonies. The cross serction
                  of stars on the flag do not represent a national flag, it was the
                  battle flag, (square), and the navy jack. The original confederate
                  flag is the stars and bars, which was confused in battle with old
                  glory. The civil war flag had nothing to do with slavery, as did the
                  cause. Slavery had little to do with the war. It was all a matter of
                  states rights. As in the constitution, any given state has the power
                  to do as it seems right, regardless of what the federal govt. says.
                  As in 1860, like today, the federal govt, imposes it's will with a "
                  do it or forget the funding " attitude along with the" freedom of
                  what?". Most of all, it's what you think the flag stood for.
                  Ethnicity had little to do with it. Slavery, is not anywhere to be
                  construde with this historical emblem. Write back, good or bad. Talk
                  to ya later! Doug My spelling has alot to
                  be desired, eh?
                  > letoya ward <fslpw@y...> wrote:
                  > hi, i was wondering if you could explain to me what the confederate
                  flag represents?What do the stars and the X mean on the flag?

                  > I was always told that it represented slavery and did not support
                  equal rights for all individuals.

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 26, 2003
                    I realise that your posts were some time ago, but I also wanted my
                    opportunity to address the question which you bring. Do the flags of
                    the Confederacy alienate individuals? Maybe, but that's only because
                    those individuals do not know the true history behind the flags.
                    History, as any historian will tell you, is written by the victor.
                    In this case, Unionists. This false history has been engrained into
                    the minds of generation after generation, and has become accepted as
                    truth.

                    --- In keepourconfererateflagflying@yahoogroups.com, letoya ward