Vanderbilt University

  • polo_lad
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2002
      Vanderbilt Renames Confederate Hall
      Fri Sep 20, 8:18 AM ET

      NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Vanderbilt University is dropping the
      word "Confederate" from the name of a residence hall, angering a
      group that helped finance it.

      Vanderbilt, a private liberal arts university, decided earlier this
      month to rename Confederate Memorial Hall as Memorial Hall,
      university officials said.

      The old name has stirred debate on campus since Vanderbilt renovated
      the hall in 1988. Some students refused to set foot inside.

      The United Daughters of the Confederacy, which contributed a third of
      the funds to build the facility 67 years ago, said Vanderbilt caved
      in to political correctness.

      "We're very upset," said Carolyn Kent, who was president of the
      Tennessee division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy from
      1998 to 2000. "We feel like we've been treated in a very rude manner.

      Michael Schoenfeld, Vanderbilt's vice chancellor for public affairs,
      said the new name would honor "all of the women and men who have lost
      their lives in the service of our country."

      He said the United Daughters of the Confederacy was informed of the
      decision earlier this week. The university is still trying to
      determine how to best remove "Confederate" from the stone inscription
      in front of the building, The Tennessean reported Friday.

      The decision is "one of a number of changes we've made to create a
      more positive, inclusive environment," Schoenfeld said.

      ___

      On the Net:

      Vanderbilt University: www.vanderbilt.edu