I just don't understand...

  • Epleasures
    Message 1 of 191 , Apr 3, 2001
      I am a 25 year old black female who is proud to
      call herself an american...Most of all I am proud to
      call myself a Mississippian!!! The only family that I
      have known has lived in MS and I love this state
      dearly. My misunderstanding comes from the fact that MS
      has come a long way in the past 20 years and honestly
      it did not happen by choice but rather by force.
      Laws were put into place that protected the rights and
      the life of every american be it blacks, whites,
      chinese, asians etc. I heard a lot about the flag debate
      and my opinion is that it does not affect me one way
      or the other because... first of all, when I was
      born, in 1976, I knew nothing about the injustices of
      people, not just blacks, but other americans that have
      been persecuted for some reason or another. My family
      instilled love in me so I can face someone who does not
      like me and still be willing to help them if I can.
      There were a lot of black people who fought under that
      flag. Not because they believed in slavery but because
      they fought for the land for which they laid there
      heads. The land that fed them. That flag does not make
      me feel like less of a person. It does not remind me
      of slavery because I can not begin to imagine the
      pain and humiliation that my ancestors felt. What
      hurts me is the fact that there are people out there
      even in this group who claims to love the flag and
      that who ever does not is ignorant. That black people
      are uneducated and lazy...That is not true and I just
      wanted to say that the hateful things that are being
      said whenever someone voices a different oppinion is
      ignorant! And to let that person know..( the one who said
      that black people were lazy) I am a graduate of the
      University of MS...A graduate of the University of MS
      Nursing School Where I hold a BSN And a MSN and i am
      currently attending USM working on a Doctorate!
    • shucksdotnet
      Message 191 of 191 , Jan 25, 2002