Trail Running Locations for This Weekend at 7AM: Clinton Lake on Saturday, Wyandotte County Park on Sunday

  • Ben Holmes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
      Note:
      New starting times for running on weekend mornings: 7:00 AM.

      Also:
      Since gas prices are going up by leaps and bounds daily, let's try to carpool
      out to Lawrence on Saturday, as we have done in the past. I can take 3 others
      in my rig. More info below.
      __________________

      Safety and Weather Note:
      There is always a chance of severe weather for the day of the runs. We will
      usually run in a light to heavy rain, but we will NOT meet if there are severe
      thunderstorms or high winds (at the time of the run). A little mud here and
      there is not bad, but trees or branches falling onto us or lightning zapping
      near us is not cool.
      Weather link:
      http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Kansas+City&state=KS&site=eax

      SATURDAY MORNING, Long Run Day:

      SATURDAY MORNING, 6:50 AM meeting time, 7:00 AM starting time:

      We are going to hit the MTB trails at Clinton Lake in Lawrence on Saturday. I'm
      planning to run 15 - 18 miles. You can do less or more mileage...the trails are
      well marked; just turn around at the mile marker of your choice, or do multiple
      loops like Paul and Mindy.

      We'll run on the North Shore trail system. We'll park in the Overlook Park area
      and avoid a State Park Fee. Look for "N 1402 Rd", and the "Army Corp of
      Engineers" sign; that's the entrance that you want.

      Please bring your own water bottles, TP, sequined silk teddy, electric
      toothbrush, or whatever else you may need or desire. As far as water goes, (AT
      LEAST) A TWO WATER BOTTLE SYSTEM works best for a long run on these trails, or
      you can hold additional bottles in your hands. You can always fill your bottles
      at the campground, if you run the full distance with us. Afterwards, some of us
      might go out for a breakfast or lunch. There's restaurant information at the
      bottom of this page: http://www.psychowyco.com/id32.html

      We will start by going right onto the "White" trails, and will come back on the
      "Blue" trails, starting from Overlook Park, (the Corps of Engineers area on the
      upper right side of the map). Trail map: http://www.psychowyco.com/id33.html
      Do not park in the "State Park Office" area, unless you enjoy paying user fees.

      Directions to North Shore Clinton Lake from KC:
      West on I-70
      Take Exit 197
      South on 10 Highway (E 850 Rd)
      Right at Clinton Lake exit
      Left onto N 1402 Rd

      or

      West on 10 Highway
      Drive straight through Lawrence
      Right at Clinton Lake exit
      Left onto N 1402 Rd

      Allow for (43 minutes, 36 seconds) travel time from Downtown Kansas City.

      MapQuest to North Shore Trail entrance & parking area:
      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=N+1402+Rd+%26+E+900th+Rd&city=Lawrence&state=KS&zipcode=

      CLINTON LAKE North Shore Trail Information: http://www.psychowyco.com/id32.html

      CARPOOL INFORMATION FOR SATURDAY:
      Some of us are meeting and carpooling to Lawrence. We will meet at the Woodland
      Rd exit of 10 Highway at 6:20 AM. Going west on 10, take the Woodland Rd exit
      in Olathe, turn right and park at the service station. If anyone wants to meet
      here's a map to the location:
      http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=Hwy+10+%26+Woodland+Rd&csz=Olathe%2C+KS&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

      SUNDAY MORNING, SHORT RUN DAY, Wyandotte County Lake Park, KS:

      Time: 6:50 AM meeting time, 7:00 AM starting time:

      We are not going to do a full "Psycho WyCo" loop, we will be running on the
      (wide) east-side trails at Wyandotte County Park. The west side trails are
      still overgrown with poison ivy and other nasties, but the east side's trails
      are just begging for us to run on them. We will do 8 miles or so. Hills, hills
      and more hills...yum, yum, eat 'em up.

      Here's the directions to Wyandotte County Lake, and where we park:
      From I-435 (West side of Metro), take the Leavenworth Rd exit. Head east, then
      take a left at N 91st St (you will see a sign); take a left at West Drive when
      entering the park. It's the first big parking lot on the left.

      Mapquest map right to the parking lot:
      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=address&searchtype=address&cat=&address=&city=Kansas%20City&state=KS&zipcode=66109%2d3565&searchtab=home

      More park maps and information: http://www.psychowyco.com/id6.html

      PLEASE READ the disclaimer: http://www.psychowyco.com/id23.html

      I've provided enough information for your diminutive head to explode. The
      showing-up and running part is up to you. These runs are free, but you will pay
      for them in ways you can't imagine.

      Happy trails,

      Ben Holmes
      Cell: 816-810-0440

      Trailrunning website: http://www.psychowyco.com
    • Ben Holmes
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2005

        Note the starting times for running on weekend mornings: 7:00 AM.

        Also:
        Since gas prices are so high, let's try to carpool out to Lawrence on Saturday,
[...]

        From I-435 (West side of Metro), take the Leavenworth Rd exit. Head east, then