Re: [kctrailrunning] TUESDAY Night and THURSDAY Night Trail Runs

  • Kyle Amos
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
      Who is running tonight???
      Kyle

      >>> Ben.Holmes.B@... 11/13 12:41 PM >>>

      _________________

      Note the 6:00 PM starting time for Shawnee Mission Park on Tuesday. SM
      Park
      closes at 8:00 PM, (Winter hours). Thursday night, we will still meet
      at 7:00
      PM in Minor Park.
      _________________

      Safety and Weather Note:
      There is always a chance of severe weather for the day of the runs. We
      will
      usually run in a light to heavy rain, but we will NOT meet if there are
      severe
      thunderstorms or high winds (at the time of the run). A little mud
      here and
      there is not bad, but trees or branches falling onto us or lightning
      zapping
      near us is not cool.
      Weather link:
      http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Kansas+City&state=KS&site=eax

      TUESDAY NIGHT

      6:00 PM meeting time; we'll start running soon thereafter:

      There are some new trails for us to run on!!! Come check them out.

      Tuesday night, we'll be running on rocky & rooty trails in Shawnee
      Mission Park,
      at 7:00 PM. This is an all-comers, non-organized, night trail-training
      event.
      Dress will be "trail casual" and flashlights and/or headlamps are a
      must, unless
      you like falling on your face. Our pace will be such that we will
      start slow,
      and will always wait for the slowest runner to catch up.

      We will run two short loops, each loop taking about 45 minutes. The
      first loop
      will be slower than the 2nd loop. You have a chance to drop back to
      your car,
      if you only want to do one loop.

      Running at night is a really good way to increase "trail feel" and to
      get your
      "trail legs" if you are training for trailrunning events. It's also
      real fun.

      Map to Entrance of park: 7900 Renner Rd, Lenexa, KS
      Mapquest Map to entrance of park:
      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=7900+Renner+Road&city=Lenexa&state=KS&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map

      Directions to parking:
      We park on the road just north of the lake's dam, and just west of
      Shelter # 7.
      Mapquest map to exact location:
      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=barkley+dr+%26+marina+dr&city=Lenexa&state=ks&zipcode=&search=++Search++

      More park information: http://www.psychowyco.com/id14.html

      THURSDAY NIGHT, we'll be running on rocky & rooty Blue River Parkway
      (BuRP)
      trails, starting in Minor Park.

      Meeting Time: Thursday, 7:00 PM.

      We will run for one 7-mile loop. This takes about 1 hour and 15
      minutes.

      This is an all-comers, non-organized, night trail-training event.
      Flashlights
      and/or headlamps are a must, unless you like falling on your
      face...SPLAT/Ow.
      Regular street running shoes work fine on this trail. Our pace will be
      such
      that we will start slow, and will always wait for the slowest runner to
      catch
      up. You will probably get your feet wet, (and that is not a
      rhetorical
      statement).

      Running at night on trails is a really good way to increase "trail
      feel" and to
      get your "trail legs" if you are training for trailrunning events.
      It's also
      real fun.

      Here are the directions to the park:
      At the south end of the I-435 loop, take I-435 (east/west) to the
      Holmes Road
      exit. Go south on Holmes to Red Bridge Road (Burger King on left, Amoco
      &
      Phillips 66 on the right). Go left (east) on Red Bridge, and cross the
      "Red"
      bridge. The park entrance is the first right just past the bridge. You
      will see
      a green porta-potty in the parking lot. We call this the "alternate"
      trail
      access to the BuRP Trail System.

      Here's a MapQuest map to the entrance to the park:
      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=%5B1586-1669%5D+E+Red+Bridge+Rd&city=kansas+City+&state=mo&zipcode=

      More park information: http://www.psychowyco.com/id3.html

      Informational disclaimer: http://www.psychowyco.com/id23.html

      Happy trails,

      Ben Holmes
      Cell: 816-810-0440

      Trailrunning website: http://www.psychowyco.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Alexander Kovalev
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
        I am planning on running tonight. Let's start out slowly.

        Alex

        Kyle Amos <amosk@...> wrote:
        Who is running tonight???
        Kyle

        >>> Ben.Holmes.B@... 11/13 12:41 PM >>>

        _________________

      • Jason Crosby
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
          I'm planning coming but it depends on the weather. I
          don't wanna run in rain, but I'll be there if the cold
          is all we have to endure.

          Jason

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Ben Reeves

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
              I'm still inspired, but would like to ask what the trails will be like
              - as in do they get very slippery etc with the rain / temps that we
              have had?

              Doug

              --- In kctrailrunning@yahoogroups.com, Ben Reeves <breeves_2000@y...>
              wrote:

              > Same here. I'll come out, but I'd prefer not to get soaked in this
              kind of cold. A little light rain, I can handle as long as we keep
              moving! Let's not forget that SMP closes at 8 now so we'll need to be
              there and get going earlier. Still 6 PM?

              > Jason Crosby <shliknik@y...> wrote: I'm planning coming but
              it depends on the weather. I
              > don't wanna run in rain, but I'll be there if the cold
              > is all we have to endure.
              >
              > Jason

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------

            • Alexander Kovalev
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
                It will most likely be very muddy and slippery. We would have to run a bit slower and be more careful. You shoes will also gain about a pound of weight each within the first mile or so.

                Alex

                wrote:

                > Same here. I'll come out, but I'd prefer not to  get soaked in this
                kind of cold. A little light rain, I can handle as  long as we keep
                moving! Let's not forget that SMP closes at 8 now so  we'll need to be
                there and get going earlier. Still 6 PM?

                > Jason Crosby <shliknik@y...> wrote:          I'm planning coming but
                it depends on the weather. I
                >   don't wanna run in rain, but I'll be there if the cold
                >   is all we have to endure.
                >
                >   Jason

                Service.

                >  Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

              • James T. Barker
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
                  I plan to run too.

                  James