Re: [kctrailrunning] Nerd Assault on Wyco

  • Cheri Sutton
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2009
      I'm sad I can't join the group. Trail work is some of my favorite kind of "gardening". But I have a triathlon tomorrow. And if I live through that (I feel woefully undertrained) then I have another commitment in the afternoon. I'm hoping I can make the next one.

      Have fun guys!

      On May 1, 2009, at 12:02 AM, MrHeatmiser wrote:

      It's still not to late to get in on the Wyco Extreme Trail Makeover preperations.  This is an awesome group of Nerds so far…… We really appreciate everyone who has volunteered their Saturday morning to work at Wyco.  It really shows how much you all love Wyco.

      Remember, we will be meeting at Shelter 11 on the east side of the dam (see attached map).  I’ll be there rain or shine unless there is lightning or high winds.  You might check the list serve in case we call it off for some reason.  You can also reach me on my alternate cell phone 913-633-6981 which I normally carry when running (let’s just say…it’s not my iphone).

      Here are the folks I have confirmed that intend to help Saturday:

      Seventeen people is absolutely phenomenal…. Brett, Sam & John, Caleb, Kyle, Pat, Sophia, Steve, Stu, Deb, Greg, Beth, Scott, Laurie, Paul & Teresa, and Me…. that’s one heck of a crew of Nerds…. This should be fun and we should get a lot done…. Let me know if you think I forgot somebody.

      Don’t worry if you aren’t able to bring tools.  We should have plenty of extras.  However, I would like to get an idea of what everyone is planning to bring.  So please respond with a list of your arsenal.

      I’m bringing: three heavy rakes, two Mattocks, two loppers, several hand saws, couple machetes, a hand whip (for weeds not volunteers), couple of weed whackers, chain saw, gas (not the kind Caleb will bring), first aid kit, maybe a shovel or two, couple of hand winches (for shoe sucking mud), break over bar, bailing wire, duct tape…..that should be about all my little CRV will carry.  Don’t forget to bring a water bottle or hydration pack.  Sophia and Sam are bringing coffee and pastries.

      I was planning to break everyone into groups of three or four.  We will spread out along the new section of trail that we have marked.  Brett and I are going to remove two or three large trees that have fallen across the proposed route.  I’ll go into more details when we all get there.  If you’re a little late, then just follow the old trail from Shelter 11 towards the dam…we shouldn’t be hard to miss.

      I’m not sure if Shelter 11 is reserved on Saturday but will check.  If it is, then we may need to park along the road near the field where the trail crosses the road. If my car is there when you arrive then please follow suit.  Regardless, please report at the gazebo for your assignments.

      I’m really excited and pumped about the sign of support….. Don’t hesitate to give me a call if you have any questions.

      Trail Nerds Rock, Jim

      JAMES E MEGERSON, PE, LEED® AP - Vice President - Larson Binkley, Inc.

      6363 College Blvd, Ste 400, Overland Park, KS 66216, Direct: 913-226-7077

      Professional Registered Engineer in the following states:

      CT, KS, TX, ND,MN, MT, MI, MO, CA, GA, IL, NC

      <Wyco shelter map.pdf>

    • Sophia Wharton
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2009
        Cheri!
        Save the Date: June 6th.
        That's the Wyco Extreme Makeover.

        btw, we need to go running sometime. I want to work on my fast walking.
        Sophia

[...]

      • Bobbi Aschwanden-Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2009
          I will NEVER get to help at this rate.... that's Hospital Hill and I promised someone else I'd "help" them. And then I have to be somewhere else the rest of the day...

          This weekend is a pancake breakfast fundraiser at Applebee's on Barry Rd & I-29 for the Touched by Cancer Foundation... Stop by for breakfast to load up on your way!

          Bobbi Aschwanden Thomas
          May you be blessed with a peaceful mind and a joyous heart.

          Watch this 10 minute video - it could change your life - http://www.drspeaksout.com  If you can't afford health, how will you afford illness? http://bobbiaschwanden.isagenix.com

          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2009
            Sign me up!
            Julie