Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Oct. 18, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, October 18, 2005.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***vTuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***vTuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***Tuesday, October 18th.***

      Hey everyone, we're back on track, and glad to be back! We're in the celebrating mood today as we have a couple of birthdays in the house. So in honor of that, enjoy a few words of wisdom from a wonderful lady named Erma Bombeck. She always put things in a way I wish I had, enjoy!

      If I Had My Life To Live Over

      I would have gone to bed when I was sick, instead of thinking the earth would end if I weren't there for the day.

      I would have talked less and listened more.

      I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

      I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

      I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

      I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

      I would never have bought anything just because it was practical.

      When my kids wanted to play, there would never have been not now, I'm cleaning.

      But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it ... live it and never give it back. Stop sweating the small stuff. Erma Bombeck

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      This week we're featuring another wonderful book by one of our favorite people, Beth Ferrier! Beth created this book, At Home In My Heart, as a tribute to the everyday heroes of the September 11th. tragedy. This quilt has touched the hearts of many as I'm sure it will yours too.

      At Home In My Heart has 24 pages and is fully illustrated with pictures. Beth includes easy directions for this wonderful quilt in queen, double and twin sizes. Also included are instructions for a lap size quilt and two coordinating wall hangings. Beautiful to behold and easy to make, you can see why this book is very popular. Order now and you can make one of these beauties in time for Christmas. Click the link for more info.

      So, October is half over, did you make that mammogram appointment yet? I know, you've been meaning to, but it just slipped your mind. Well, I'm your friendly little reminder. Call now, before you forget! Come on now, just do it! Thank you!

      October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and we are pleased to offer a very special project, designed & sewn by Kaye Wood. Kaye designed a quick project featuring Marcus Brothers Pink Ribbon flannel, which is skillfully combined with coordinating Softy flannels by Marcus Brothers, to create a comfy pieced pillow. Click the link for free instructions.

      New for the next two weeks, with any order of $15 or more, before shipping, you will get a View-a-Strip created by Kaye Wood, absolutely free! No additional shipping will be added, it is really FREE! A great tool to have on hand, the View-a-Strip is made of flexible white plastic, that is adjustable to expand up to 3" wide. View fabric as it will look after it is cut and sewn into strips ranging from 1/2" up to 3" wide. Especially helpful for large florals and striped fabric, this tool takes out all of the guess work. Makes a great gift to give or keep for yourself. Don't forget, when you place any order, you also get a FREE gift for our monthly special! Two FREE items, now that's just a steal, so order today!

      Monthly Special!

      Customer Appreciation Days!

      With any order you place over the internet, we will include with it, a FREE item. Now, I can't tell you what it will be, that will be our choice. What I can tell you is that it will have something to do with either quilting or sewing! Bet you didn't see that one coming did you? Of course with every great thing there are a few catches, sorry, it's the way of the world. E-book orders alone will not apply with this special. We will choose the free item, sorry no exchanges. I can tell you though, no extra shipping fees will be added, it will be 100%, absolutely, FREE. Just because well, we love you guys! So, take advantage this month, let us show our appreciation, you deserve it!

      Just Ask Kaye!

      Once in a while we get requests for definitions of certain words, or for a term someone heard used, but is not quite sure what it means. Quilters tend to be very creative in more then just quilting. Here are a few of those requests.

      Q: I have heard the term, "bearding" so many times and still do not know what it means. Can you help?

      K: Bearding is bits of the batting that are showing through the top and/or bottom layer of your quilt. This can often be avoided by buying a higher thread count fabric and using dark batting for darker fabrics. This is also usually associated with using synthetic batting.

      Q: What is a burn test and why would you use it?

      K: If you are not sure about your fabric, you can use a burn test to determine the type of fibers it is made up of. Just take a match and burn a sample of the fabric. When wool and cotton are burned, a gray smoke is emitted and an ash residue is left. Synthetic fibers will burn a black smoke and it might smell like burning plastic. Synthetic fibers will also leave a shiny black residue along the charred edges of the fabric.

      Q: What is a "frogstitch" ?

      K: This is a cute term, though I must say, not much fun! A frogstitch, as in rip-it, rip-it, rip-it, is when you have to undo a seam.

      Q: What is a stiletto? I'm sure they aren't referring to high heels!

      K: A stiletto is a sharp, pointed instrument that is used to ease and hold seams as they pass under the presser foot to keep them in place. Some people use a seam ripper although I have heard of people using a wooden meat skewer with great results. CLOVER makes a stiletto/awl that works wonderful as a stiletto, and is great as an awl to punch holes in leather and fabrics.

      For more useful quilting and sewing terms, click on the provided link.

      http://www.kayewood.com/definitions.html

      Upcoming Events

      Quilt Market

      Houston, TX

      10/21 thru 10/24 2005

      Bishop Sewing

      Flint, MI

      11/5/05

      To raise money for the Make A Difference Program sponsored by the Flint Community Schools Adult Enrichment Program.

      CALL TO REGISTER--810-760-1141

      Quilt, Craft and Sewing Festival

      Phoenix, AZ***Arizona State Fairgrounds

      1/26 thru 1/28 2006

      http://www.rustybarn.com/

      Creative Festival

      Denver, CO

      2/23 thru 2/26 2006

      http://www.creativefestival.com or 505-323-0025

      Links 4-U

      QNN

      QNN, the only online programming dedicated to quilters. 24/7, you can get your quilting fix at QNN.

      http://www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com/

      Ad Swap

      Love2Scrapbook.com is a friendly community of scrapbookers. The website offers an extensive layout gallery from it's members work as well as monthly projects from it's fabulous Design Team. L2SB also offers a friendly forum, monthly layout contests, sketches, a FREE monthly newsletter and FREE product reviews and company spotlights.

      Get inspired!!

      http://www.love2scrapbook.com/index.php

      Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at: (800)248-5293, Monday thru Friday, 9-5 p.m., EST

      To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      Be sure to tell us why you want to unsub, it helps to know what people want and don't want!

      Lines provided by: