Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Wed. Sept 28, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Online Newsletter, Wednesday, September 28th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Wednesday, September 28th.***Wednesday, September 28th.***Wednesday, September 28th.***Wednesday, September 28th.***Wednesday, September 28th.***Wednesday, September 28th.***Wednesday, September 28th.***Wednesday, September 28th.***

      Hey everyone! I hope your week is going well. Since October is almost upon us, I'd like to remind all our readers that October is breast cancer awareness month. Please, please, please, schedule a check up. Early detection is a huge help in fighting this disease. So call now, while it's fresh on your mind and remind all of your friends and loved ones to do the same. Below are a couple of links for more information and products that support finding a cure. Check it out!

      American Cancer Society Homepage

      http://www.cancer.org/

      Pink Ribbon Products for sale. Bracelets, socks, shirts, and more!

      http://www.allheart.com

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Free Project!

      October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and we are pleased to offer a very special project, designed & sewn by Kaye Wood. Kaye designed a quick project featuring Marcus Brothers Pink Ribbon flannel, which is skillfully combined with coordinating Softy flannels by Marcus Brothers, to create a comfy pieced pillow. Click the link for free instructions.

      If you're looking for an easy fun project, look no further. Joan Shay has just the thing for you and it's called Petal Play! Whether you are a beginning quilter or an expert in appliqué, her 3-D Appli-bond© technique, will allow you to add exciting realistic three-dimensional appliqué to your quilts. This technique allows you to create dimension, without turning any edges. Comes complete with fabric requirements, paper templates, illustrated stitch sheet, and a list of all the items you need to make your project a success. When bonded the Joan Shay way, these quilts can go into the washer and dryer and will not lose their shape or curl. Makes a great gift or dare I say it? A great Christmas present! Click the link for more info.

      http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/k1608.html

      New Special***Save on shipping when you order $25 or more!

      For the next two weeks we've got a great shipping special for you! It's very simple and goes like this. When you order $25 to $50 of product, your shipping will be only $1.99. When you order $50 or more of product, your shipping will be free of charge. That's it, couldn't be simpler. Your total price will be adjusted at time of processing. Although we are very sorry, this special is good for US residents only.

      Last week of our September monthly special!

      September is almost over and so is this special. Hot off the press is Kaye's new pattern called Pinwheel Hearts and you are just going to love it! Comes with directions and fabric requirements for twin to king size quilts and uses Kaye's View & Do Heart Shape. In honor of this new pattern, whenever you buy a View & Do Heart Shape this month, you can get the new Pinwheel Hearts pattern for half price! That's right, buy the shape and the pattern is only $4! Check it out, but don't wait too long, this is absolutely the last week for this great sale!

      Buy the shape and get the new pattern for half price!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Just Ask Kaye!

      I have a quilt with lots of white in it, that has been stored for three years in a cotton pillowcase. I'm hoping you can tell me what to wash it with, to bring it back to it's white condition. Thank you for your time. Gina

      Kaye recommends using Orvus. It's an extremely gentle detergent that can be used to clean fine rugs. Non-irritating, it will not discolor dyes.

      I have a desire to make a Dresden Plate quilt using 14 petals, but can not find a pattern. Is it possible to create a pattern or should I scrap this idea? Beverly

      It is possible, but we don't have a template to do that. Here is a formula that you may be able to create one with. 360 (degrees) divided by 14 (number of petals) would be the formula to find the angle. Good luck!

      I was wondering if you have a pattern for making a quilt out of t-shirts? My friends son passed away and he had lots of tie-dyed t-shirts. We thought it would be nice to make them into a quilt. We have seen it done, but don't know where to start. Thank you in advance of any help or patterns. Ginny a faithful reader.

      Iron on interfacing is the way I'd do it. Use it on the back part of the shirt you wish to use. Then you can cut it into squares, circles, wedges or whatever shapes you need for the particular design you're using.

      Still Need Help!

      There are still tons of hurricane victims that need help. Here are some helpful links to point you in the right direction.

      Free Project!

      Hey everyone, we are again giving you the chance to participate in this free project from none other then Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs! Read on to see what Joan has to say about her free bag project.

      This free pattern was designed after hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast of the United States. Many people displaced due to the hurricane damage, left their homes with nothing but the clothes on their backs. This tote bag pattern is something simple, that can be made quickly and will give people a place to keep some of the things they begin to accumulate and carry with them.

      Thanks!

      Joan Hawley

      http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/With%20Love%20Tote%20Bag.pdf

      Here are some other great web sites to check out if you'd like to help.

      http://www.redcross.org

      http://www.bentleysfatcatquarters.com/

      And The Survey Says...

      Last week we posted a new survey and as usual, you didn't disappoint us! Here is the survey question from last week and some of the results we received.

      Q: What do you use to mark your quilts?

      In no certain order, here are some of the answers we received.

      1) Chalk, with no wax or oils in it.

      2) Chalk wheel.

      3) Washable and permanent markers and a hera marker.

      4) Pens and pencils, regular and disappearing. A Verithin Silver pencil, Ultimate Marking Pencil for Quilters & Crafters and Roxanne's Quilters Choice pencils.

      5) Tracing wheel.

      6) Soap, such as shards of Ivory soap.

      7) Arranging safety pin railroad tracks which is sewing between the tracks in a meandering way. Regular pins.

      8) Stitching in the ditch and following the pattern of the backing fabric.

      9) I use a 1/4 inch tape when doing straight quilting, but have snipped it to fit curves.

      10) I recently found a spray that can be used with stencils. I really like it, much faster then marking. It does rub off easily though, so I only spray one small area at a time, since I quilt in a hoop. You could probably do a larger area if using a frame.

      Thanks again to everyone who participated. Great ideas one and all!

      Upcoming Events

      Attention Michiganders!

      Kaye next few appearances are in Michigan. Now is a great time to meet Kaye and attend one of her classes or seminars. Check it out!

      The American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      Sept. 30-Oct. 2, 2005

      http://www.americansewingexpo.com

      248-889-3111 or Fax: 248-887-6020

      ***Kaye's Love Quilt Connection is coming to Novi!***

      Make sure you stop by the Love Quilt Connection to check things out and stitch for a great cause!

      Kaye Wood's 1 day seminar sponsored by the American Sewing Guild

      Holland, MI ***Oct. 8, 2005

      At the Hope College Hayworth Center. Doors open at 8 AM, program begins at 8:30 AM

      The charge is $35.00 and includes lunch. For more info, please call 616-532-5181 evenings after 6 PM and before 10 PM weekdays. (EST)

      To order tickets, please make check or money order out to the American Sewing Guild for $35.00 and send to:

      Joanne Kozarek, elliebremer@...

      1277 Oakcrest SW

      Wyoming, MI 49509-3882

      If you wish your tickets to be returned to you via mail, please enclose a SASE, and indicate if you need a map. An interpreter for the hearing impaired will be available, please indicate if you need this service, so we can reserve a seat for you.

      Houston, TX, Quilt Market, 10/21-24 2005

      Flint, MI, Mich. Bishop Sewing, 11/5/05

      Ad Swap

      If you've just started scrapbooking, or you're curious to find out what it's all about, you've found the right place. A place to find out what you need and how to get it. Come check us out!

      http://www.simplescrapbooksmag.com/shop/item.ihtml?idx=253/&aff_var=kw1&img_id=1

      Links 4-U

      QNN

      QNN, the only online programming dedicated to quilters. 24/7, you can get your quilting fix at QNN.

      http://www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com/

      To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      Be sure to tell us why you want to unsub, it helps to know what people want and don't want!

      Mailing address: Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at: (800)248-5293, Monday thru Friday, 9-5 p.m., EST

      Clip art provided by:

      http://webclipart.about.com/od/special/l/blfall14.html