Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter - Aug 30, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter - August 30th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***Tuesday, August 30th.***

      Hey everyone! I'm sure you all have seen or heard about Hurricane Katrina and the devastation it is causing down south. Please, take a moment to say a prayer, donate, volunteer, anything to help. The Red Cross is always looking for donations and volunteers. If you have a couple of extra quilts or anything else that might help, please contact your local Red Cross. If you don't know where it is, here is a link to find out.

      A little bit goes a long way and if everyone does or gives a little bit, just think of the benefits that are reaped. Take a moment and help out today.

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Did you know?

      Did you know that September is National Sewing Month? Well it is and here are some great resources from the Home Sewing Association's web site.

      Did you know sewing increases creativity in children? It sure does, check it out!

      http://www.sewing.org/files/pressrelease/PRchildren_sewing_increases_creativity_2005.pdf

      If you have a lot of stress, you should try sewing! The stress reducing benefits from sewing are remarkable! Take a look.

      Make the most of national sewing month, here are some tips how.

      Some of you might think it's a little soon to be getting into this project, but I say there's no time like the present! It's coming whether you like it or not, so let's get started on....CHRISTMAS!!! Here fresh from the Colorado Quilt Designs Co., is Santa Time!

      Dress up your home for the holidays with any of the three easy to piece quilts featured in this pattern. The large fat quarter friendly quilt measures 62" x 78" and features four Santas, four trees, four stars and four sets of presents along with a double border with stars in the corners. Also included are directions for two smaller quilts. The perfect thing to curl up with on a cold night! For more information, click the link.

      http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/k1909.html

      Also featured for your early winter projects is our popular Snowman Row!

      Easy to piece, the Snowman Row quilt is sewn in seven vertical rows with a combination of eleven snowmen, three trees and fourteen pairs of mittens. Each of the blue, red, gold, and three of the green fabrics, are used in different combinations for the snowmen hats and vests, as well as the mittens. Use your creativity when combining your fabrics together to make a beautiful 62.5" x 80.5" quilt. This pattern also includes directions for a smaller quilt and wall hanging. A fun quilt with easy piecing and applique directions, it works and looks great with your cotton or flannels. Have fun with it and stay warm this winter! Makes a wonderful gift!

      Click this for more information!

      http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/k1007.html

      Time for a new special!

      We have two fantastic books for you this week that you really need to check out! If you are a lover of jeans, particularly junk jeans, then these are for you!

      How many of you have old jeans and don't know what to do with them? Don't you dare throw them out, because I have the answer! Recycle, recycle, recycle. As in the Junk-Jeans Recycled book and the Junk-Jeans Eazy Quilts & Wall hangings by Luveta Nickels, both for $30! That is $10 off the retail price and you won't believe the fun you'll have! These books are filled with ideas on what to do with your junk jeans! They range from home decor to purses, kids stuff and Christmas projects in the Junk Jeans Recycled, to quilts, wall hangings, pillows and Christmas projects, in Easy Quilts & Wall Hangings! Filled with foolproof finishes and time saving techniques, you won't believe what you can do with those jeans, or as Luveta says, "This is the last chance for your pants"! Don't wait, because this is a great offer, so order today!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Both Junk Jeans books for $30 plus s/h.

      Click the link for peek pages of Junk Jeans Recycled.

      http://www.kayewood.com/peekpages/kqf307peek.html

      Click the link for peek pages of Junk Jean Eazy Quilts & Wall hangings.

      http://www.kayewood.com/peekpages/jjeqpeek.html

      September means a new monthly special!

      September is here already and with that comes a new monthly special! Hot off the press is Kaye's new pattern called Pinwheel Hearts and you are just going to love it! Comes with directions and fabric requirements for twin to king size quilts and uses Kaye's View & Do Heart Shape. In honor of this new pattern, whenever you buy a View & Do Heart Shape this month, you can get the new Pinwheel Hearts pattern for half price! That's right, buy the shape and the pattern is only $4! Check it out, but don't wait too long, the months have been going by quick!

      Buy the shape and get the new pattern for half price!

      Kaye demonstrated on a program how to prepare the back of a pillow for insertion. What measurements did she use? I know the back was sewn into two pieces.

      For a 14" pillow, cut two 15 x 20 inch pieces. Complete instructions and diagrams are found in Kaye's book, Strip Quilting Projects #3 which is on sale for $5. Click on the link for a peek at this book.

      I was wondering how when you measure for your borders, you can get them to be exactly the correct length. I am making the top and bottom borders after the side ones. The top and bottom borders have squares at the corners. They have come out either too long or too short. Do I put the last square on after I sew the border strip on?

      Complete instructions for doing this are in Kaye's book, Everyone Can Quilt. The border strips have to be measured the exact length or width of the quilt, at the center. Cut the side border strips the exact length of the quilt. Fold the border strips in half and mark the half with a pin. Then fold the strip in half again and pin at these quarter points. The quilt needs to be fitted to the border, by matching the center and quarter points of the border strip to the center and quarter points of the quilt. Sew with the border strip on top; the quilt underneath. Cut the top and bottom border strips the exact width of the quilt. Sew the corner squares to each end of these border strips. Fold and pin these border strips. Match the center, quarter and the seam lines of the border strips to the quilt. Sew with border strips on top. Click the link for peek pages of Everyone Can Quilt!

      Where can I find Redwork quilting?

      There are some Redwork patterns in the book we carry, Sulky Secrets To Successful Embroidery. If you want a book on just Redwork quilting, I would go to your search engine and put in Redwork quilting. I'm sure a ton of books will come up.

      What's New?

      Kaye Wood is proud to be a sponsor of this brand new event put on by Marcus Brothers! Introducing:

      GUILD CHALLENGE 2005/2006

      Benefiting Children's Charities through the Art of Quilting

      "Because we appreciate the generous nature of quilt guilds, and their willingness to share their talents, we've designed our first challenge as a celebration of creativity as well as community service. . .plus, of course, the chance to win lots of FREE FABRIC!!!"

      For complete information on this wonderful event, please click on the link.

      http://www.marcusbrothers.com/features/guild_connection/index.html

      New Events

      Make it Myself Expo by PBS 45 & 49

      Sept. 9-11, 2005

      John S. Knight Center**Akron, OH

      1-800-554-4549

      An exciting and unique weekend of creativity and fun for sewing, arts and crafts enthusiasts, featuring 70 hands-on workshops, many with Public TV's how-to experts, combined with a free consumer show.

      http://www.ch4549.org/expo/index.htm

      Everything Quilting and Sewing Expo

      St Charles, MO

      Sept. 14-17, 2005

      Call 1-800-473-9464 or check it out at: http://www.roundbobbin.co

      The American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      Sept. 30-Oct. 2, 2005

      http://www.americansewingexpo.com

      248-889-3111 or Fax: 248-887-6020

      ***Kaye's Love Quilt is coming to Novi!***

      Kaye Wood's 1 day seminar sponsored by the American Sewing Guild

      Holland, MI

      Oct. 8, 2005

      At the Hope College Hayworth Center. Doors open at 8 AM, program begins at 8:30 AM

      The charge is $35.00 and includes lunch.

      To order tickets:

      Please make check out to American Sewing Guild for $35.00 and send to:

      Joanne Kozarek

      1277 Oakcrest SW

      Wyoming, MI 49509-3882

      If you wish your tickets to be returned to you via mail, please enclose a SASE, also indicate if you need a map.

      An interpreter for the hearing impaired will be available, please indicate if you need this service so we can reserve a seat for you.

      For more info, please call 616-532-5181 evenings after 6 PM and before 10 PM weekdays. (EST)

      Links 4-U

      QNN, the only online programming dedicated to quilters. 24/7, you can get your quilting fix at QNN.

      http://www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com/

      To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      Be sure to tell us why you want to unsub, it helps to know what people want and don't want!

      Mailing address: Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at: (800)248-5293, Monday thru Friday, 9-5 p.m., EST

      Quilt blocks and artwork provided by:

      www.roserushbrooke.com

      http://www.straw.com/quilting

      http://www.dlstewart.com/clipart2.htm