Kaye's Quilting Friends Quilting and Sewing Newsletter - Aug 24, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Quilting and Sewing Newsletter - Aug 24, 2005

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Wednesday, August 24th***Wednesday, August 24th***Wednesday, August 24th***Wednesday, August 24th***Wednesday, August 24th***Wednesday, August 24th***Wednesday, August 24th***Wednesday, August 24th***

      Well, it's that time of the year again. Across the country parents are giving big sighs of relief as they drop their kids off to school or watch them board the buses that will take them there. Yes, we've survived another summer vacation and once again peace reigns. Most people are glad to see this time get here, but I have to tell you, I am not one of them. What this means to me is another year of running too and fro getting my daughter to all of her obligations. Another year of trying to understand homework which was just called reading, writing and math, when I went to school, and another year of packing lunches and fighting to get her out of bed. No, summer is definitely easier for me. But I think the worse thing is the realization that another year has gone by and my daughter is yet another year older. I love watching her grow, but yearn for the days when she looked at me in awe as though I was the smartest person she knew. When no meant no and not "why" and boys still had cooties. Yes, my little girl is slowly being replaced by a pre-teen and all that goes with it and all I can do is hang on. I'm sure it will be quite a ride!

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Just Ask Kaye!

      I have a book that shows the log cabin blocks, and I would like to know how to make the quilt smaller than it shows in the book. Do I just make a smaller number of blocks, or is there a certain pattern that you must use to make it smaller?

      You could use less strips, you could use thinner strips or you could use a smaller amount of blocks. It's up to you, but all will work.

      I'm making a quilt for my daughter-in-law. She's not very fabric/quilt literate, so I'm looking for instructions for quilt care, to give to her at the same time when I present her quilt. Me thinks, she would be more interested if they came from someone who is considered a professional in the field. Where can I find instructions to print off to include with the gift?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

      I found a wonderful web site for you to get this info. Click the link and go to "our loft". Scroll down and they have a caring for your quilt section to click on. It has all the information you need.

      When rotary cutting, my cutter skips. I have changed blades several times and it still does it. What am I doing wrong? I'm new at this.

      What kind of mat are you using? It could be that. You should try to use a higher quality mat and cutter such as a Clover, Olfa or Fiskars. A cheaper one will be, well, you get what you pay for. ;-)

      HELP!!! I have a beautiful fabric that I want to use for backing. It's base color is burgundy, and it has dark red and yellow flowers with dark gold leaves. I have washed it several times with Shout Color Catchers, and I am still getting dye out. I would love to use it for the backing, but I don't know if there is a way to fix the dye permanently so it doesn't bleed anymore. Should I just use the fabric and give a box of color catchers to the recipient of the quilt? Any help or guideline would be great.

      I did quite a bit of research on this subject and found a lot of different answers. People used everything from vinegar, to salt, to chemical catchers such as the Shout Color Catchers you used. I'm still not sure I have the total answer, but here are some of the responses I found from the World Wide Quilting Page.

      One lady tried a product called Re-tayne from a company called Pro-Chem. It is supposed to fix any unfixed dye and wash it away, so it will no longer bleed. The lady who used it responded that it worked really well with no additional bleeding to any of her fabrics thus far. The gallon was around $14 and she considered it well worth it.

      Another product that Pro Chem suggested was Synthropol. The difference between this and Re-tayne was this. Retayne actually sets errant dyes so they'll stop bleeding and Synthropal "floats" out any unfixed dye and keeps it from fixing itself onto areas of the fabric that you don't want to be stained. If you are interested in either of these products, here is some contact info.

      Pro Chemical and Dye

      PO Box 14 Somerset, MA 02726

      website-www.prochemical.com

      orders-1-800-2-BUY-DYE

      technical support-508-676-3838

      Another lady used vinegar when she had that problem, although some people consider this a little caustic for their fabrics. She responded that if the vinegar didn't stop the bleeding, she seriously had to consider whether to use the fabric or not.

      Last but not least, since you've been using the Shout treatment already, you might want to contact them for further suggestions.

      Do you have a question for Kaye? Send it here:

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=questions

      Last Week for this AWESOME Special!!!

      Hey everyone, this is the last week to take advantage of this great special. We only run this a few times a year, so get those orders in.

      For the next two weeks, you can get any video of Kaye's Quilting Friends, in any format, VHS or DVD, for $13 a piece! This, is a savings of $5 off each one you purchase! It's a great time to add to your Kaye Wood video library or to start one. Do you have the book? Now you can make it complete by adding the video! Makes a great gift for people who are "hands on" and learn easier by watching! They also make a great reference guide! So check your stock, check it twice, and get your orders in while you can!

      HINT-HINT--Order two videos and you automatically qualify for our monthly special! Order today!

      This also is the last week for our monthly special!

      For the month of August, when you spend $25 before s/h, you will receive free with your order, the book Turn Me Over, I'm Reversible, by Kaye Wood! Turn Me Over, I'm Reversible, is a quick and easy comforter quilt, suitable for skilled or beginning quilters. You can finish your quilt completely, in less than a day, REALLY! Kaye's unique 3 layer quilt-as-you-go construction, makes it the easiest quilt you will ever finish! This book has several reversible baby quilts, full size quilts, wall hangings, and wearables. Turn Me Over includes tips for choosing colors and fabrics, fabric preparation, marking and cutting accuracy, and how to plan your quilt. Techniques include reversible applique, tying quilts, figuring yardage, and how to do borders and bindings. This is a great addition to your library, and it's FREE, when you place an order of $25 or more!

      No need to order, it will be shipped automatically with your order of $25 or more.

      The Survey Says...

      A big thanks to everyone who participated in our survey last week. This was our question.

      Do you:

      a) machine quilt

      b) hand quilt

      c) send it out to be quilted

      d) tie it

      This is what the majority of our quilters came up with. Machine quilting was the top result beating out hand quilting by a 2/1 margin. Sending it out was next, followed by tying it. A lot of you do 2 or more methods, depending on the project, time allowed and size.

      As always with our surveys, we received some very interesting responses. Here are a few of them.

      For one quilter, her husband took care of that part of it. Another lady tied it with cheap garage sale blankets. Yet another, responded that is was wrong to machine quilt, but she still does it. No one knows it, but she does. This quilter was a big fan of quilting in the ditch because she was a beginner and couldn't think outside of the box! Oh yes, and last but not least, our poor quilter who wants a recommendation for a quilt therapist, to help her with this addiction! Great responses everyone, you always give me a good chuckle! Thanks again!

      New Events

      Kaye and Lori are headed west to the Sew & Quilt Craft Expo at Reno, NV. Make sure you stop by the booth to chat a while!

      Aug. 25-27, 2005

      Contact info: 775-856-3224 or www.pcmexpo.com

      Make it Myself Expo by PBS 45 & 49

      Sept. 9-11, 2005

      John S. Knight Center**Akron, OH

      1-800-554-4549

      An exciting and unique weekend of creativity and fun for sewing, arts and crafts enthusiasts, featuring 70 hands-on workshops, many with Public TV's how-to experts, combined with a free consumer show.

      http://www.ch4549.org/expo/index.htm

      Everything Quilting and Sewing Expo

      St Charles, MO

      Sept. 14-17, 2005

      Call 1-800-473-9464 or check it out at: http://www.roundbobbin.com

      The American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      Sept. 30-Oct. 2, 2005

      http://www.americansewingexpo.com

      248-889-3111 or Fax: 248-887-6020

      ***Kaye's Love Quilt is coming to Novi!***

      Kaye Wood's 1 day seminar sponsored by the American Sewing Guild

      Holland, MI

      Oct. 8, 2005

      At the Hope College Hayworth Center. Doors open at 8 AM, program begins at 8:30 AM

      The charge is $35.00 and includes lunch.

      To order tickets:

      Please make check out to American Sewing Guild for $35.00 and send to:

      Joanne Kozarek

      1277 Oakcrest SW

      Wyoming, MI 49509-3882

      If you wish your tickets to be returned to you via mail, please enclose a SASE, also indicate if you need a map.

      An interpreter for the hearing impaired will be available, please indicate if you need this service so we can reserve a seat for you.

      For more info, please call 616-532-5181 evenings after 6 PM and before 10 PM weekdays. (EST)

      Our latest featured product is guaranteed to bring hours of fun to your family! The Game Quilt Kit by QuiltSmart, measures approximately 51 inches x 60 inches. This quilt pattern combines two loves, quilting and playing games. Gather your family and friends and settle down for some old-fashioned fun. There's nothing old-fashioned about the sewing of all those curves or squares, though. It's easy to sew and play. We'll show you how to make curves without curved piecing! We'll take all those squares to your sewing machine in one piece with no lost pieces and perfect intersections. This is all done through the magic of QuiltSmart printed interfacing. The Game Quilt Kit includes pre-printed fusible interfacing, and complete instructions to make this wonderful quilt! Family game night is back and you're guaranteed to love it! Makes a great gift, just click the link for more info!

      http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/k1506.html

      Links 4-U

      QNN, the only online programming dedicated to quilters. 24/7, you can get your quilting fix at QNN.

      http://www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com/

      To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      Be sure to tell us why you want to unsub, it helps to know what people want and don't want!

      Mailing address: Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at: (800)248-5293, Monday thru Friday, 9-5 p.m., EST

      ines and clip art provide by: http://www.hellasmultimedia.com