Kaye's Quilting Friends Quilting and Sewing Newsletter - Aug 3, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Quiltng and Sewing Newsletter - Aug 3 2005

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.***Wednesday, August 3rd.

      Hey everyone! I hope you're finding an easy way to cope with the heat! It's now the beginning of August, which I can't believe, and before you know it, summer will be gone! So try to find some enjoyment in the warm sun, while you still can!

      I have had a request to repeat a poem I put in the newsletter about 7-8 months ago. Here you go, Pam, this one's for you, enjoy!

      Ode To A Quilting Wife From Her Husband

      She learned to quilt on Monday, her stitches were very fine. She forgot to thaw out dinner, so we went out to dine. She quilted miniatures on Tuesday, she says they are a must. They really were quite lovely, but she forgot to dust! On Wednesday it was a sampler, she says that stipling's fun. What highlights, what shadows, but the laundry wasn't done! Her patches were on Thursday, green, yellow, blue and red. I guess she was really engrossed, she never made the bed. It was wall hangings on Friday, in colors she adores. It never bothered her at all, the crumbs on the floors. I found a maid on Saturday, my week is now complete. My wife can quilt the hours away, the house will still be neat. Well, it's already Sunday, I think I'm about to wilt! I cursed, I raved, I ranted, the MAID has learned to QUILT! Author Unknown

      If you have a cute poem or story about quilting, send them in! We'd love to feature them in our newsletter!

      Just Ask Kaye!

      What would you consider the best choice of batting for a quilt that will be used and abused?

      I would use a poly bonded batting. They seem to take the washing and drying better.

      I am making a round robin quilt and need the formula to make the four triangles that are added to the sides.

      I would cut the strips 3/4" wider than you need. To figure out how much you need, measure from the edge of the square to where the next corner will be. Sew the strip on, then square it up.

      I have seen Kaye's show and wondered where she got the sewing machine thread carousel she uses.

      Kaye got this handy device from Ray's Sewing Machine Center. Here is the address and phone number.

      Ray's Sewing Machine Center

      1717 Park Ave. San Jose, CA 95126

      1-408-295-6901

      How do you avoid puckering and gathering while machine quilting?

      I use lots and lots of safety pins to baste the layers together. A spray adhesive would work well too.

      Check This Out!

      I have another great product for all of you to check out! This week, straight from The Quilter's Cottage, we have the Sew Shabby Chic Bowl Kit! Talk about fun and easy, this is just the ticket! These decorative bowls are great for a number of things such as candy dishes, seasonal decor, soap holders, you name it! Our office manager, Brenda, made a bunch and then filled them with goodies, to give as prizes at her daughter's baby shower! Can you say BIG HIT? My daughter's bowl has a porcelain baby wrapped in a blanket, on a cloud of cotton batting in her room. The possibilities are endless. Each kit comes with full instructions, the bowl tool, accessory tool and 1 piece of 13 1/2" bowl interfacing. Order extra interfacings to make lots of bowls. Great for gift giving, parties, holidays, you name it! Check it out by clicking the link.

      We have had lots of people asking how to store their quilts. Here are some tips that should help.

      1. Quilts should be aired or vacuumed before storing. Use a low suction hand vac with a nylon screen to protect it from harmful pull. When airing, be sure the quilt is laying flat, protected from soil, and not in direct sunlight.

      2. The ideal storage is a flat surface, properly lined with acid free material, large enough to have it's own space.

      3. When folding, use crumpled acid-free tissue in the folds for support. Refold the quilt every 3-6 months to minimize permanent fold lines. Rolling quilts is an option, but it does place stress on the entire quilt.

      4. If the storage unit is made of wood or cardboard, it should be lined with several layers of washed, 100% cotton fabric. This is necessary to protect the fabric from chemicals in the wood or paper. Cotton liner should be washed semi-annually.

      5. Covers of pre washed 100% cotton sheeting, muslin, pillow cases, or acid-free tissue paper are strongly recommended. These materials allow air to pass through and keep light and dust out. Plastic is not advised.

      6. Keep the storage area clean and insect free. The herb Artemisia is a natural pesticide. Hang in the storage area or in a small bag. Do not let the bag touch the quilts!

      *Information from AQS

      Last week for this special!

      This is the last week to get two of Kaye's wonderful booklets at a great price! You can get Kaye's own Stardust Quilt and TwinStar Jacket for the low, low price of $6 plus s/h. These are two of Kaye's favorite patterns and we think you'll love them too.

      The TwinStar Jacket is a stunning, figure slimming jacket, with dolman sleeves that are strip pieced into log cabin diamonds. Fully lined and loosely fitted, it includes a variety of sizes, S-3X, to fit everyone! It also comes in 3 different, flattering lengths, waist, hip and knee. This would make a great fall jacket!

      The Stardust Quilt is a beautiful quilt with many different variations. You make strip pieced diamonds that can be combined and turned to make a number of designs. These include tumbling blocks, 6 pointed stars or hexagons. Put your designs together to make a table cloth, table runner or a beautiful full size quilt. Kaye includes full instructions such as fabric requirements, layering, mitered borders and quilting of your project. Try Kaye's trademark technique for perfect mitered borders and you'll be amazed at how easy it can be. Kaye's Starmaker 6 is suggested and available for this project.

      Both of these booklets for the low, low price of $6.00!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      New Monthly Special

      For the month of August, when you spend $25 before s/h, you will receive free with your order, the book Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, by Kaye Wood! Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, is a quick and easy comforter quilt, suitable for skilled or beginning quilters. You can finish your quilt completely, in less than a day, REALLY! Kaye's unique 3 layer quilt-as-you-go construction, makes it the easiest quilt you will ever finish! This book has several reversible baby quilts, full size quilts, wall hangings, and wearables. Turn Me Over includes tips for choosing colors and fabrics, fabric preparation, marking and cutting accuracy, and how to plan your quilt. Techniques include reversible applique, tying quilts, figuring yardage, and how to do borders and bindings. This is a great addition to your library, and it's FREE, when you place an order of $25 or more!

      No need to order it, it will be shipped automatically with your order of $25 or more.

      Ad Swap

      Welcome to Quilts for Sale, a new site where Canadian and U.S. Quilters can showcase and sell their quilts and quilted items, and quilt lovers can purchase them. Quilts for Sale provides you with a web page that's on site and very affordable. The fee to list each item is $10. The first $10 also includes the set-up fee for your web page. When an item sells, there is an additional fee of 10% of the sale price. Visit us to learn more!

      http://www.quiltsforsale.ca

      What's New?

      Free Pattern***Free Pattern***Free Pattern***Free Pattern***Free Pattern***

      Here is a free pattern for everyone called the Morning Glory Quilt! Available in two different versions, just click the link of your choice below.

      html version-

      http://www.kayewood.com/articles/morning_glory.html

      downloadable pdf version- http://www.kayewood.com/articles/morning_glory.pdf

      Upcoming Events

      Kaye's next stop will be Reno, NV at the Sew & Quilt Craft Expo

      8/27/05

      Contact info: 775-856-3224 or www.pcmexpo.com

      Make It Myself Expo by PBS 45 & 49

      Akron, Ohio***Sept. 9-11, 2005

      John S. Knight Center**Akron, OH

      1-800-554-4549

      An exciting and unique weekend of creativity and fun for sewing, arts and crafts enthusiasts, featuring 70 hands-on workshops, many with Public TV's how-to experts, combined with a free consumer show.

      Some of the quilting teachers include: Kaye Wood, Sue Hausmann, Leigh McDonald and Karen Good

      Other workshops include: aroma therapy, digital photography, food decor and gift baskets, holiday crafts, knitting, music, scrapping, yoga and so much more! Something for everyone! Just click the link for more information!

      http://www.ch4549.org/expo/index.htm

      Links-4-U

      QNN, the only online programming dedicated to quilters. 24/7, you can get your quilting fix at QNN.

      http://www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com/

      http://www.kayewood.com/forums or http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi

      Mailing address: Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      1-800-248-KAYE(5293)

      Flower clip art provided by Barry's Clipart Server

      http://www.barrysclipart.com/

      Buttons provided by Artist4Hire

      http://artist4hire.net/index.html

      Lines provided by Clips Ahoy