Kaye's Quilting Friends Quilting and Sewing Newsletter - Tuesday, July 26, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Quilting and Sewing Newsletter, July 27, 2005

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***Tuesday, July 26th.***

      Hey everyone! I hope you're all keeping cool wherever you are! One look at the weather map told me I shouldn't complain when places in the south and west are over a 100 degrees! Yikes! This is the first summer in a long time I can actually say, I'm looking forward to it ending! It's been too hot for too long! Fall has always been my favorite time of the year and it can't get here soon enough! So hang in there everyone, drink lots of water and sit in front of the fan! It's the end of July, and before you know it the kids will be back in school, the trees will start turning color and things should start cooling down. It's a good time to start planning your new fall projects, hint, hint.

      Here's another great product for all of you to check out! Brought to you by Brandy's, here's Just Country, aka Crazy Strippin'! This pattern is so much fun, you will love it, I guarantee! No extra tools to buy, templates are provided for 4, 6, 9 and 12 inch blocks, along with instructions for four different size quilts! These quilts can easily be made as small or large as you desire by using fewer or more blocks! Detailed supply lists are provided for each quilt size along with a free Brandy's key chain! Also available ar VHS or DVD copies of the Just Country show as it appeared on Kaye's Quilting Friends. Click on the link and check it out!

      I thought pre wound bobbins were not for bed quilts as the thread was not strong enough. I was also told not to use lingere thread for the same reason. What do you think?

      I think it's a safe bet if you just use cotton or cotton-poly blend threads. These always work best for me and it doesn't matter how it's wound.

      Can you tell me where I can get two sided, hand pressable stabilizer to do landscape scenes? I have tried all over and can't seem to find any.

      I would suggest you use Lite Steam a Seam 2. It would hold temporarily by hand pressing but to make a lasting hold, you would have to iron it. Just go to our home page and put Lite Steam in the search engine. It will take you right to the page it appears on.

      I am searching for instructions on how to stipple. Can you help?

      When you stipple, you cover the surface with close quilting stitches to give a dimpled effect. I am going to direct you to an expert on stipple. Just click the provided link and it will take you to the Sulky instruction page on how to stipple. Good luck.

      I am a beginning quilter and would like to know a really structured way to do patchwork piecing. Can you help?

      There is no rhyme or reason to crazy quilts. Any straight edged pieces will work, just remember to press the seams toward the new piece after each addition. Trim the seam allowances after adding each piece. If this is not enough information, click on the link below and it will give you at least 10 different sights that are dedicated to crazy quilting, including lessons and how to's. Have fun!

      Can I use 40 wt. rayon thread to machine quilt with?

      You sure can and it will work great!

      I'm thinking of buying a new sewing machine, one that will also do embroidery. Which would you recommend?

      My favorite is the Janome Memory Craft 10001. My reasons are too many to list here, but click on the link and it will take you to the Janome web site. When you get there click on machines and accessories. From that page you can access all of the information on the 10001. You will find it very complete and informative and you can decide for yourself.

      For the next two weeks we have two of Kaye's wonderful booklets on special for you at a great price! You can get Kaye's own Stardust Quilt and TwinStar Jacket for the low, low price of $6 plus s/h. These are two of Kaye's favorite patterns and we think you'll love them too.

      The TwinStar Jacket is a stunning, figure slimming jacket, with dolman sleeves that are strip pieced into log cabin diamonds. Fully lined and loosely fitted, it comes in a variety of sizes, S-3X, to fit everyone! It also comes in 3 different, flattering lengths, waist, hip and knee. This would make a great fall jacket!

      The Stardust Quilt is a beautiful quilt with many different variations. You make strip pieced diamonds that can be combined and turned to make a number of designs. These include tumbling blocks, 6 pointed stars or hexagons. Put your designs together to make a table cloth, table runner or a beautiful full size quilt. Kaye includes full instructions such as fabric requirements, layering, mitered borders and quilting of your project. Try Kaye's trademark technique for perfect mitered borders and you'll be amazed at how easy it can be. Kaye's Starmaker 6 is suggested and available for this project.

      Both of these booklets for the low, low price of $6.00!

      Monthly Sale

      This is your last week to get great savings on this great book!

      If it's too hot to garden for flowers, here is a good alternative. Fast Folded Flowers, to be exact, at an excellent savings to you. Regularly priced at $21.95 you can get this book for the rest of July for only $14.95. Make your home bloom with these perfect bouquets! Laura Farson shows you how easy it is to create beautiful, curvy-petaled flowers using nothing more than a rotary cutter, ruler and sewing machine. Seventeen projects in all for quick and easy home decor, seasonal and holiday gift items galore. This book is fully illustrated with detailed color photographs and twelve simple, timesaving techniques for easy rotary cutting and assembly. Paper templates are included, although we do suggest and have available, Laura's Hexagon/Triangle Acrylic Template for $18.99. So burst into summer and spread flowers throughout your home with Fast Folded Flowers, on sale for the rest of July only. VHS or DVD of the show available for $12.00.

      Useful Information

      You've spent all this time, energy and money making your new quilt and you love it! But how do you go about caring for it? Here are some tips to consider.

      Protect your new quilt by displaying it in a place where it will receive the least amount of stress. (Tips covering this are in last weeks newsletter.)

      Avoid washing when spot cleaning or airing would be sufficient.

      Restrict activities that would cause stress to bed quilts. This would include food, beverages, cosmetics and denim jeans that may transfer a dye.

      Make repairs of seams that come unstitched or other minor damage quickly, so further deterioration is halted.

      Keep accurate records of your quilts. Label it with the date it was made, name and location of the quilt maker, name of the quilt and any other information particular to this quilt.

      All new quilts should be appraised and insured.

      *Information provided by AQS

      Ad Swap

      Make-A-Note is an email newsletter and web site, that goes out twice a month and is filled with useful information, about a variety of topics. Something for everyone, no two issues are ever the same and no issue is over three pages long. For something different, subscribe to Make-A-Note. To subscribe to the Make-a-Note email newsletter, send a blank email to:

      For information or to check out back issues click the link.

      Kaye's next stop will be Reno, NV at the Sew & Quilt Craft Expo

      Contact info: 775-856-3224 or www.pcmexpo.com

      QNN, the only online programming dedicated to quilters. 24/7, you can get your quilting fix at QNN.

      http://www.kayewood.com/forums or http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi

      Mailing address: Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661