Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter - June 7, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter. June 1, 2005

      *Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter*

      June 7, 2005!

      Life is full of "Plan B's"!

      For example, last night, my beloved husband mistook my precious hollyhocks for burdock. Granted, before they flower, they do sort of look alike - sort of. Well, my carefully tended hollyhock border is no more. So what does that have to do with Plan B? Now, since that area is all mowed off, and yes, there were some burdock in there, I can replant the whole area with hollyhocks, not just the border! So, as you can probably tell, all of our pictures this week are devoted to my late hollyhocks!

      Our internet specials are:

      For June, the 6th month will get you Kaye’s Strip Quilting Projects Book 9, the Victorian Sampler Quilt, for only $6.00!

      Get it? 6th month, $6.00? I knew you’d catch on quick.

      For the next 2 weeks, we have Picture Piecing Book, regularly 24.95, now 18.00!

      Ever visited a place or seen a photograph that took your breath away? Became so inspired that you felt compelled to recreate the vision in fabric? But.. where to start? Let Cynthia England guide you through the process she developed. Tricks and tips to make the paper piecing process easy. This book is 132 pages, with all kinds of tips and techniques, as well as projects to get you going. Hmmm, bet he won't mow these hollyhocks down!

      Go here to find out what our specials are and to order them:

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Free Project!

      Kaye just finished this updated version of her Around The Islands Quilt. Done in beautiful Caribbean Blue fabrics, it’s called Cruise Around The Islands, and was inspired by her recent quilting cruise (there’s another one coming up….)

      You need Adobe Acrobat to download this pattern, (sorry webtv users, I haven’t got it transcribed into a web page yet, but I’ll be sure to let you know..)

      http://www.kayewood.com/articles/Cruise%20the%20Island.pdf

      This new pattern uses Kaye’s Starmaker 8 Master Template as well as her View & Do Octagon Shape .

      Did I mention another quilting cruise?

      Go to www.roundbobbin.com to get details.

      If you’re new to our newsletter or our site, you may not realize that we have 2 message boards. I’ll just tell you that they are both an invaluable place to ask and answer questions, as well as just to find another quilting or sewing buddy!

      And, here they are:

      http://www.kayewood.com/forums and here: http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi

      But, that’s not the only way to interact with Kaye or her products. You can always attend a quilt show or seminar that where she is scheduled.

      Go here to find that schedule: http://www.kayewood.com/teachingschedule.html

      Kaye is taping her 1900 series this week and next. This new series will be available to your PBS stations in middle to late August. Be sure to tune in, there's lots of fun stuff in this newest series!

      Speaking of shows, if you’re going to be anywhere near St. Charles , MO in Sept, you’ll have to check out the Everything Quilting and Sewing Show. Sept 15-17, 2005.

      You can go here for more info: http://www.roundbobbin.com or call 1-800-4SEWING (1-800-473-9464)

      Did you know most traditional quilts are designed using Euclid geometry?
      Euclid geometry consists of standard squares, triangles and circles.

      Do you know what non-Euclid geometry is? Non-Euclid geometry describes the rough edges of the world - the mathematical designs known as fractals.

      What is a fractal and what does a fractal art quilt look like? Come and find out at http://www.roserushbrooke.com
      Here you will find galleries of quilts created by Rose Rushbrooke, tutorials, and specially selected quilting supplies and notions.

      If you haven’t seen the Quilting News Network channel on the internet, you’re missing out! 24/7 quilting shows from your favorite designers!

      You really need a high speed connection to view it, but even with a dialup, you can get some of it. Go here to check it out:

      http://www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com/

      This is fairly new, please take a minute to check it out, it’s a very interesting channel!

      A real burdock plant

      Readers Ask Kaye:

      Why buy fat quarters and not just use old scraps and pieces?
      Kaye: Of course you can use old scraps and pieces, but the fat quarters give quilters more of a variety without buying a lot of fabric that may end up unused.

      Which of your patterns would be good to enlarge to a King Size quilt
      Kaye: Both of my new patterns, Stacking My Blocks and also Hearts in Bloom are able to be made bigger. The yardage requirements for 4 different sizes as well as the instructions are included in both!

      A real hollyhock plant

      Well, that’s all I have for you this week, as always, let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, feedback or just want to drop in!

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at: (800)248-5293, Monday -- Friday, 9-5 p.m., EST.

      Mailing address:

      Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456, West Branch, MI 48661

      © 2005 Kaye Wood, Inc.