KayeWood.com Weekly Email Newsletter Week of 7.2.14 - Choosing Fabrics For Your Quilts, Reader's Tips, New Patterns and a FR** Ebook!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/1.1.jpg

      • New In The Shop
      • Readers' Tips
      • Did You Know
      • This Week in History
      • New Contest
      • Strip Quilting Mega Sale
      • Reader's Show and Tell
      • Pumpkin Patch Wallhanging Pattern
      • Knotted Bouquet Quilt Pattern
      • FR** EBook - Starmaker Design Concepsts
      • DVD of the Week - Candy Corn/Watermelon Quilt
      • Boo Wallhanging Pattern
      • List Your Event
      • Facebook
      • Flower of the Month - Tiger Lily Pattern
      • Wild Zebra Pattern
      • Life in the Midwest Pattern
      • This Week on our YouTube Channel - Fusible Reverse Applique
      • Choosing Fabrics for your Quilts

      https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash4/c35.34.438.438/s160x160/2099_61478773728_4714_n.jpg

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is loving the warm weather....Follow us!

      http://www.kayewood.com/twitter_spring.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/pinterest.jpg

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Patriotic Quilts At KayeWood.com Board on our Pinterest Site

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!

      http://www.kayewood.com/nmlwf.jpg

      Welcome to the 15th Annual Northern Michigan Lamb & Wool Festival

      September 27 & 28, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/quilt_qua_new.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/qsclogo.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/favecrafts.gif

      Hi Quilters!

      Today at the Cabin:

      Don't Forget... The office will be closed from Thursday, July 3, until Tuesday, July 8. All orders will be shipped out Tuesday July 8th.

      Yes, ready for vacation! Have a safe and happy 4th of July, eveyone!

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/mr-hthcompletesetlg.jpg

      Home Tweet Home Quilt Pattern.... HERE

      This week, on our sale page, we featuring all of our July patterns as well as Me and My Sister Designs and Golightly Sewing Studio Patterns! Hurt and clearance items too.

      Remember.... orders over $50.00 are fr** shipping (US only, sorry)

      Go HERE for all of our sale, hurt and clearance items.

      Lots of cool new stuff on our New Page too!

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wb-julyfireworksmed.jpg

      July Firewords Quilt Pattern Regular price is $6.50

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/gl-sweetmed.jpg

      Sweet Clutches Bag Patterns

      Regular price is 12.00

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/tipsy-med.jpg

      Tipsy Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/oliva-med.jpg

      Olivia Tote Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/suburn-med.jpg

      Suburban Quilt Designs Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/easy-as-10,11,12-med.jpg

      Easy as 10, 11, 12 Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/zp-julyhohomed.jpg

      July Holiday House Courthouse Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/july-sailboat-med.jpg

      July Sailboat Quilt Pattern

      We are proud to announce we are now carrying Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs entire Press Perfect line! Must-have ironing accessories to take your needlework to the next level!

      Check them all out on our What's New page, HERE

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wpc-justrightecovermed.jpg

      Just Right Ecovers Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/hd-wildenmed.jpg

      Wilden Star Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/jgc-rotaryrulertotemed.jpg

      Rotary Ruler Tote Bag Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/jg-autumnswirlmed.jpg

      Autumn Swirl Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      I came up with a pretty good idea. I have an outside clothesline. I took my quilt backing and quilt top, and pinned them together while they hung on the line. It was easier, because all of the fabric, etc., hung down because of gravity!

      I was in a quilt shop last week and picked up a little trick using two mirrors. If you place the two mirrors at a 90 degree angle on a quilt block, you see a vision of how the quilt block will look with multiple blocks! I saw this with a log cabin block I was working on and it opened up all kinds of ideas for me!

      Did You Know....

      Here are some more color tips and a bit of terminology you might've heard, but were not sure what they meant.

      The color value, is the degree of lightness or darkness a color has. If you add white, it would be called a tint, but if you add black, it is then called a shade.

      Monochromatic colors are all the tints and shades of a single color.

      Achromatic means without color, therefore white, gray or black in appearance.

      The depth of color refers to how close or far away a color feels. Warm colors always feel closer then cooler ones.

      Bleeding colors are two colors next to each other on the color wheel. The blending will give the area a softer effect.

      Contrasting color values occur when a light color is placed next to a dark one. This can make the light color appear bigger.

      When someone mentions country colors, they are speaking about colors usually inspired by nature's hues. Warm browns, sunny yellow, tree green, sky blue and wildflower purple are a few of the colors.

      Make a quilt with only pure primary and secondary color, no black or white mixed in, and you will have a very vibrant looking quilt.

      Black and white are great colors for a base. Black will dim colors where white will brighten colors in most instances. They are also good to use for runners or sashing.

      This Week in History, July 2 - July 8

      Jul 02, 1964 - Johnson signs Civil Rights Act

      Jul 03, 1863 - Battle of Gettysburg ends

      Jul 04, 1776 - U.S. declares independence

      Jul 05, 1946 - Bikini introduced

      Jul 06, 1957 - Althea Gibson is first African American to win Wimbledon

      Jul 07, 1930 - Building of Hoover Dam begins

      Jul 08, 1951 - Paris celebrates 2,000th birthday

      http://www.kayewood.com/31.jpg

      New Contest....

      Well, it's not really a contest because EVERYONE can win! Make a quilt (bag, tablerunner, candle mat...) from one of our patterns (purchased from us), send us a picture and you'll get 25% off your next order!

      Send your entries to terrye@...!

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/sqmegasalelg.jpg

      Strip Quilting Mega Sale....

      Get Kaye's Strip Quilting Project Books 2-9 (minus Strip Quilting 6) as a set for $7.00 that is only 1 dollar a piece. These book's sell for 5.00 a piece. That is a savings of $33.00.

      HERE

      I was trying to find a way to keep my fusible web and steam a seam neat and tidy, when I came up with the idea to roll it and put it in cardboard tubes, from paper towels and toilet rolls. I just write on the outside of the tube what it is, so it's easy to grab.

      When buying fabric for quilting, if you are not sure if the color will run or not, add some vinegar to your cold wash cycle. Several run-throughs might be necessary. This is what my Mom used to do back in, "the day". Happy quilting!

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/cid_X_MA2_1357166053@...

      Reader's Show and Tell....

      Just finished my first 6 hour quilt in 7 hours and I have to say your technique is brilliant! I followed your instructions and everything turned out beautifully. I feel certain the next one will take less time as I have now flattened the learning curve (and learned something new about binding!). Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and experience with us! I made this for siblings whose names start with C, so they can fight over who gets it!

      Liz....

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/cid_X_MA1_1357166053@...

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/qc-pumpkinpatchmed.jpg

      Pumpkin Path Wallhanging Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/qc-knottedboquetmed.jpg

      Knotted Boquet Quilt Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      FR** EBook....

      Starmaker Design Concepts by Kaye Wood!

      HERE

      This is the book you need to compliment your Starmaker Master Templates. A chapter devoted to each one, this technique book will show you how to use your tools to their fullest potential. Over 140 designs and shapes to help perfect your quilting skills.

      Get the 77 technique DVD HERE

      Save even more and get the whole set HERE

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/kwdc1.jpg

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/smmt.jpg

      DVD of the Week....

      Candy Corn/Watermelon Quilt Technique DVD

      Watch Kaye as she creates this mouthwatering quilt.

      Technique DVD and Pattern on sale, HERE

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/candy_cornd.jpg

      Candy Corn Technique DVD

      No more sliding templates for me! I just put a little rubber cement on the back side of my rulers, let dry well and they do not move!

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/qc-boomed.jpg

      Boo Wallhanging Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      http://www.kayewood.com/30.jpg

      List Your Event....

      Quilters Gone Crazy, Wyoming State Quilt Guild, July 10-13, 2014, Cheyenne, WY

      Our daily Facebook Deals are better and better every day. Different deals each day and they're all on our sale page Best to check the sale pages every day to make sure you're not missing out on anything, or better yet.... sign up for our Facebook page.

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/tiger-la.jpg

      Flower Of The Month For July....

      Tiger Lily Pattern

      Click on More Details to watch this technique.

      More Details

      On Our Sale Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/hd-wildzebramed.jpg

      Wild Zebra Quilt Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/hd-lifeinthemidwestmed.jpg

      Life in the Midwest Quilt Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      This Week On Our Youtube Channel....

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/af-godblesslg.jpg

      God Bless America Fusible Reverse Applique Technique

      Watch the God Bless America Stained Glass Techniques HERE

      An easy method for creating Stained glass designs using fused reverse applique. No bias lead lines needed!

      Choosing Fabric For Quilts....From the Folks at Craftsy

      Are you ready to sew your first quilt? Congratulations, that is wonderful news! Nothing beats a warm, cozy, handmade quilt. They are wonderful for the home and make incredibly personal gifts for loved ones. Not only are they treasured goods, they are so much fun to make. Every step of the way can be embraced and enjoyed. That begins with choosing fabric.

      One of the biggest decisions to be made before the quilting process can even begin is fabric. Wondering how to choose fabric for a quilt? With the thousands of choices available these days, this can be a bit overwhelming. When creating a quilt, there are several different ways to tackle fabric choice.

      Here are several things to keep in mind when choosing fabric for a quilt

      Favorite prints

      Sometimes you just come across fabric that speaks to you. Whether it is the colors, prints or the general mood instilled, you fall in love. Use that fabric to build your quilt! Carefully evaluate all of the different colors featured there within that individual print, and pay close attention to those. By using a variety of fabrics in those coordinating shades, a cohesive quilt top can be formed.

      Read the rest of the article HERE at Craftsy!

      Have a Great Day!

      Terrye and Kita

      http://www.kayewood.com/kita.jpg