KayeWood.com Weekly Email Newsletter Week of 6.25.14 - New Patterns, Choosing Fabric For Your Quilts and Lots More!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/1.1.jpg

      • New In The Shop
      • Choosing Fabric For Your Quilts
      • Did You Know....
      • This Week in History
      • New Contest
      • Reader's Show and Tell
      • Mystique Quilt Pattern
      • Strip It Three Ways Quilt Pattern
      • FR**Pattern - Life in the Meadow
      • House Make Up Case Pattern
      • DVDĂ‚ of the Week - Painted Desert
      • List Your Event
      • Facebook
      • Flower of the Month
      • Forever Quilt Pattern
      • Basket of Charms Bin Pattern
      • This Week on our YouTube Channel - Emeralds and Amethysts

      https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash4/c35.34.438.438/s160x160/2099_61478773728_4714_n.jpg

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is loving the warm weather....Follow us!

      http://www.kayewood.com/twitter_spring.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/pinterest.jpg

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Patriotic Quilts At KayeWood.com Board on our Pinterest Site

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!

      http://www.kayewood.com/nmlwf.jpg

      Welcome to the 15th Annual Northern Michigan Lamb & Wool Festival

      September 27 & 28, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/quilt_qua_new.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/qsclogo.jpg

      Hi Quilters!

      Today at the Cabin:

      Don't Forget... The office will be closed from Thursday, July 3, until Tuesday, July 8. All orders will be shipped out Tuesday July 8th.

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/jnq-fireislandhostalg.jpg

      New in the Shop...Fire Island Hosta Quilt Pattern.... HERE

      This week, on our sale page, we featuring an eclectic selection of just about anything you could want! Hurt and clearance items too.

      Remember.... orders over $50.00 are fr** shipping (US only, sorry)

      Go HERE for all of our sale, hurt and clearance items.

      Lots of cool new stuff on our New Page too!

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/mpc-licketysplitmed.jpg

      Lickity Split Quilt Pattern Regular price is $8.50

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/alme-70med.jpg

      70s Quilt Pattern

      Regular price is 13.00

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/alme-freshlysqueezedmed.jpg

      Freshly Squeezed Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/lbq-everythingforbabymed.jpg

      Everything Baby Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/lbq-picnictimemed.jpg

      Picnic Time Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/le-diamonddelightsmed.jpg

      Diamond Delights Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/mpc-patchesofjoymed.jpg

      Patches of Joy Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/mpc-aroundtheblockmed.jpg

      Around The Block Quilt Pattern

      We are proud to announce we are now carrying Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs entire Press Perfect line! Must-have ironing accessories to take your needlework to the next level!

      Check them all out on our What's New page, HERE

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/mpc-bevelsmed.jpg

      Bevels Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/le-linksmed.jpg

      Links Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/le-californianightsmed.jpg

      California Nites Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/nrd-stripit2med.jpg

      Strip It Three Ways Series 2 Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      Choosing Fabric For Quilts....From the Folks at Craftsy

      Are you ready to sew your first quilt? Congratulations, that is wonderful news! Nothing beats a warm, cozy, handmade quilt. They are wonderful for the home and make incredibly personal gifts for loved ones. Not only are they treasured goods, they are so much fun to make. Every step of the way can be embraced and enjoyed. That begins with choosing fabric.

      One of the biggest decisions to be made before the quilting process can even begin is fabric. Wondering how to choose fabric for a quilt? With the thousands of choices available these days, this can be a bit overwhelming. When creating a quilt, there are several different ways to tackle fabric choice.

      Here are several things to keep in mind when choosing fabric for a quilt

      Favorite prints

      Sometimes you just come across fabric that speaks to you. Whether it is the colors, prints or the general mood instilled, you fall in love. Use that fabric to build your quilt! Carefully evaluate all of the different colors featured there within that individual print, and pay close attention to those. By using a variety of fabrics in those coordinating shades, a cohesive quilt top can be formed.

      Read the rest of the article HERE at Craftsy!

      Did You Know....

      COTTON-When you light it, it burns with a steady flame and smells like burning leaves. The ash is soft and crumbles easily.
      LINEN-Takes longer to light and smells like burning paper or leaves. The ash is much like a cotton ash.
      SILK-Burns slowly and smells like hair or feathers burning. The ash is grayish and crumbles easily.
      WOOL-Sputters when trying to light and smells like burning feathers or hair. The ash is black and turns to powder when crushed.
      ACRYLIC-Burns and melts easily and smells kind of like vinegar or something acidic. The ash remnant will be hard like a black bead.
      NYLON-Melts and burns slowly and smells like burning celery. The ash is like a hard gray or brown bead.
      POLYESTER-Melts and burns at the same time and can bond quickly to any surface it drips on. The odor is sweet and kind of fruity and the ash is like a hard, black bead.
      RAYON-Burns very fast and smells like burning leaves or feathers. There will be very little ash residue.
      ACETATE-Burns and melts easily and smells like vinegar or something acidic. The ash will be a hard, black bead.

      A lot of the man made fibers, have the same distinctions and will be harder to categorize. When you try the burn test on a fabric blend, it is supposed to burn in the way each fabric would if it was an individual piece. This test is not as reliable with blends.

      Did you know that if you have a fabric and you're not sure what it's made of, you can do a simple burn test to determine what it is? Just use a small square of fabric and tweezers, and have a place to put your fabric as it is burning. You'll be surprised how distinct each fabric is, so read on.

      This Week in History, June 18 - June 25

      This Week in History, Jun 25 - Jun 30

      Jun 24, 1997 - U.S. Air Force reports on Roswell

      Jun 25, 1876 - Battle of Little Bighorn

      Jun 26, 1948 - U.S. begins Berlin Airlift

      Jun 27, 1950 - Truman orders U.S. forces to Korea

      Jun 28, 1953 - Workers assemble first Corvette in Flint, Michigan

      Jun 29, 1995 - U.S. space shuttle docks with Russian space station

      Jun 30, 1936 - Gone with the Wind published

      http://www.kayewood.com/29.jpg

      New Contest....

      Well, it's not really a contest because EVERYONE can win! Make a quilt (bag, tablerunner, candle mat...) from one of our patterns (purchased from us), send us a picture and you'll get 25% off your next order!

      Send your entries to terrye@...!

      Reader's Show and Tell....

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/DSCN2383.jpg

      I have made lots of the 6 hour Quilts but this is the FIRST and ONLY one I have made in strips. It is all in flannel. My son in law is 6ft 4 tall and asked if I could make him a "utility quilt" that was long enough to go from under his feet and up to his neck. This quilt is 90 inches long and 45 inches wide and I did serge the edges instead of binding. The quilt took longer then 6 hours to make but I learned a great deal. The main one is I doubt if I will ever make one like this again. By the way it is a Christmas gift for my son in law. Thank you again for still having the pattern. My daughter wanted one and I ordered it several weeks ago and have sent it to her.

      Betty....

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/le-mystiquemed.jpg

      Mystique Quilt Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/nrd-stripit3waysmed.jpg

      Strip It Three Ways Series 3 Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      FR** Pattern....

      Life in the Meadow by Kaye Wood!

      HERE

      Fussy Cut Pentagon frame the birds in the birdhouses. Easy, and fast, using Kaye's View & Do Pentagon Shape.

      Sizes 36" x 40"

      Get the technique DVD HERE

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/birdhouselg.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pentagonlg.jpg

      DVD of the Week....

      Painted Desert Quilt Technique DVD

      Watch Kaye create this gorgeous wallhanging from the book Strip Cut Quilts.

      Technique DVD and Ebook on sale, HERE-

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/painted_desertlg.jpg

      Painted Desert Technique DVD

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/za-makeupcasealt.jpg

      House Make Up Case Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      http://www.kayewood.com/30.jpg

      List Your Event....

      The Quilting and Knitting Expo in Columbia, SC, June 27-28, 2014 www.quiltersgallery.net

      Our daily Facebook Deals are better and better every day. Different deals each day and they're all on our sale page Best to check the sale pages every day to make sure you're not missing out on anything, or better yet.... sign up for our Facebook page.

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/lilac-la.jpg

      Flower Of The Month For June....

      2 of them this month!

      Lilac Pattern and Dogwood Pattern!

      Both beautiful spring flowers.

      Click on More Details to watch this technique.

      More Details

      On Our Sale Page

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/paducah-la.jpg

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/am-forevermed.jpg

      Forever Quilt Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/sj-basketcharmsmed.jpg

      Basket of Charms Bin Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      This Week On Our YouTube Channel....

      http://www.kayewood.com/kwtv_emeralds.jpg

      Emeralds and Amethysts Technique

      Watch the Emeralds and Amethysts Construction Techniques HERE

      Emeralds and Amethysts. Take those jewel toned fabrics to create this stunning, gorgeous quilt.

      From the Ebook, Strip Cut Quilts using the Starmaker 8 Master Template

      Have a Great Day!

      Terrye and Kita

      http://www.kayewood.com/kita.jpg