KayeWood.com Weekly Email Newsletter Week of 5.15.14 - New Patterns From The Spring Shows, Staying Away From Barbed Wire and a FR** Pattern!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/1.1.jpg

      • New In The Shop
      • Bindings
      • Rose Garden Quilt Pattern
      • List Your Event
      • Flower of the Month - Magnolia
      • Reader's Tips - scattered throughout
      • Facebook
      • Out and About Bag Pattern
      • Starshine Beauty Quilt Pattern
      • DVD of the Week - ABC Quilt Pattern
      • This Week in History
      • Reader's Show and Tell
      • Liberty Crown Quilt Pattern
      • Firecrackers and Fireworks Quilt Pattern
      • Free Pattern - Springtime Hearts
      • DVD of the Week - Tumbling Stars

      https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash4/c35.34.438.438/s160x160/2099_61478773728_4714_n.jpg

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is perched on her favorite branch....Follow us!

      http://www.kayewood.com/twitter_branch.png

      http://www.kayewood.com/pinterest.jpg

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Lazy Girl Designs At KayeWood.com Board on our Pinterest Site

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!

      http://www.kayewood.com/nmlwf.jpg

      Welcome to the 15th Annual Northern Michigan Lamb & Wool Festival

      September 27 & 28, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/quilt_qua_new.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/qsclogo.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/machinequiltsunlimitedlogo.gif

      Hi Quilters!

      Today at the Cabin:

      There are soooo many new and fun patterns, books, tools, templates and toys coming in from the spring shows. Stay tuned, we're getting them added as fast as we can!

      Having an interesting week so far. I don't usually (USUALLY) argue with inanimate objects, but a couple of days ago, I went one on one with a roll of barbed wire. It was NOT fun. And not real sure I won. And, yes, as a farmer I am aware of the importance of staying up-to-date on my tetanus shots! lol

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/bwd-graciesgardenlg.jpg

      New in the Shop...Gracie's Garden Sampler Quilt Pattern.... HERE

      This week, on our sale page, we featuring some of our favorite patterns! Don't forget all of our clearance and HURT items too.

      Remember.... orders over $50.00 are fr** shipping (US only, sorry)

      Go HERE for all of our sale, hurt and clearance items.

      Lots of cool new stuff on our New Page too!

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pc-shimmeringstratamed.jpg

      Shimmering Strata Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/kk-knitkitmed.jpg

      Knit Kit

      Regular price is 22.00

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/le-cambridgemed.jpg

      Cambridge Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/arcadia-lane-med.jpg

      Arcadia Lane Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/zp-mayhohomed.jpg

      May Holiday House Quilt Shop Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/broad-street-med.jpg

      Broad Street Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/freckles-frenzy-med.jpg

      Freckles Frenzy Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/prism-star-med.jpg

      Prism Stars

      We are proud to announce we are now carrying Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs entire Press Perfect line! Must-have ironing accessories to take your needlework to the next level!

      Check them all out on our What's New page, HERE

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/cs-miditwistermed.jpg

      Midi Twister Pinwheels Tool

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/qm-twistershimmermed.jpg

      Twister Shimmer Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ns-heartsandflowersmed.jpg

      Hearts and Flowers Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ctd-sophiesgardenmed.jpg

      Sophie's Garden Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      Bindings....

      A binding finishes off the edges and frames the quilt.

      The back of the quilt can be wrapped around to the front to form a binding, or a separate binding strip can be sewn to the quilt. It can be cut on the straight-of-grain or on the bias.

      The finished binding width (the width showing on the quilt top) can be very narrow to extra wide, your quilt, your choice.

      But, the seam allowance must be the same width as the finished binding. IF the finished binding is 1/2", then the seam allowance must be 1/2" because the binding must be padded with the edge of the quilt. For a double binding, cut the binding strip six times the finished width of the binding; i.e., if the finished width is 1/2", the strips would be cut 3" wide.

      The one exception to the binding strip being six times the finished width is when the finished binding is 1/4". Then the strip needs to be cut 1 3/4" to allow for the turn of the cloth.

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/tr-rosegardenmed.jpg

      Rose Garden Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      List Your Event....

      Delectable Mountains Quilt Guild, May 30 - June 1, 2014, Greenwood Hills Bible Conference, Fayetteville, PA

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/magnolia-la.jpg

      Flower Of The Month For May....

      Magnolia Pattern

      Magnolias are so elegant! This one is easy to "grow" and will prove to be a very low maintenance "plant"!

      Click on More Details to watch this technique.

      More Details

      On Our Sale Page

      I love making pot holders quilted of kitchen pattern material. I use fruit or kitchen prints and trim them with cotton eyelet lace!

      A Note About Facebook....

      Our daily Facebook Deals are better and better every day. 4 or 5 different deals each day and they're all on our sale page Best to check the sale pages every day to make sure you're not missing out on anything, or better yet.... sign up for our Facebook page.

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/abq-outandaboutmed.jpg

      Out and About Bag Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pc-starshinebeautymed.jpg

      Starshine Beauty Quilt Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      This Week On Our Youtube Channel....

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/abclg.jpg

      ABC Alphabet Quilt Pattern

      Watch the ABC Kids Quilt Fussy Cut and Sewing Techniques HERE

      A wonderful quilt to adorn any child's wall, you can also use as a learning tool, by helping them find and name the animal and letters. Bright color border strips frame each of the blocks to add depth to this design. The wide border has square blocks with designs embroidered without the letter. Kaye's easy Y-seam technique is included with this pattern. Uses the View & Do Diamond Shape (sold separately).

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/viewdiamonds.jpg

      3) This isn't a tip but a question. Is there any kind of chart or guideline as to how many blocks you need for certain sized quilts, etc?

      About once or twice a year we get this question. Here's a couple of charts I hope will help you out.

      Twin Size
      Quilt

      Full Size Quilt

      Queen Size Quilt

      King Size Quilt

      Block Size

      Total Blocks

      12"

      54

      15"

      35

      16"

      35

      18"

      24

      Block Size

      Total Blocks

      12"

      72

      15"

      42

      16"

      42

      18"

      30

      Block Size

      Total Blocks

      12"

      72

      15"

      42

      16"

      42

      18"

      30

      Block Size

      Total Blocks

      12"

      90

      15"

      56

      16"

      49

      18"

      36

      Here is a fat quarter chart that might help also!
      1 Fat quarter equals 18" x 22"

      Block Size

      Total Blocks

      2"

      99

      2 1/2"

      56

      3"

      42

      3 1/2"

      30

      4"

      20

      Block Size

      Total Blocks

      4 1/2"

      16

      5"

      12

      5 1/2"

      12

      6 "

      9

      6 1/2"

      6

      This Week in History, May 15 - 21

      May 15, 1937 - Madeleine Albright is born

      May 16, 1929 - First Academy Awards ceremony

      May 17, 1954 - Brown v. Board of Ed is decided

      May 18, 1920 - Pope John Paul II born

      May 19, 1935 - Lawrence of Arabia dies

      May 20, 1873 - Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive patent for blue jeans

      May 21, 1881 - American Red Cross founded

      http://www.kayewood.com/18.jpg

      Reader's Show and Tell....

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/st.jpg

      I want to show you a group of young quilters. I wrote a grant with the CO Quilting Council for 6 kids to make the Rail Fence Lap top quilt design to be held at the Erie Arts Coalition, Erie, CO.

      So we had 6bkids ages from 6+ to 9 working 3 mornings on their lap top quilt (of course they did their own thing).

      They were introduced to quilting which was my reason for having class. They had such a good time and the last day they wrapped their quilts around themselves and danced around the room. It was so neat. Just wanted to share these lovely kids and their quilts!

      Anne....

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/qs-libertycrownmed.jpg

      Liberty Crown Quilt Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pat-firefireworksmed.jpg

      Firecrackers and Fireworks Quilt Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      *I made a nifty little portable ironing board that I take to my classes. It was very easy, all I did was glue cotton batting to an empty fabric bolt. I covered that with a piece of cotton fabric and glued the edges. Light to carry and always comes with me.

      FR** Pattern....

      Springtime Hearts by Kaye Wood!

      HERE

      Springtime is here all year round with this wonderful pattern, so put those florals to good use! Fussy cut your floral hearts and then frame them with the larger, solid colored hearts. Applique the hearts to a background block and there you have it! This pattern comes with full instructions that include two different tips for applique and complete binding directions for mitered corners. Uses Kaye's View & Do Heart Shape (sold separately and on sale this month).

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/springtime_hearts.jpg

      DVD of the Week....

      Tumbling Stars Technique DVD

      Kaye has done it again! Kaye starts with a hexagon shape, cuts and folds pieces to make this amazing star look without having to match one point! This is a fast, fun and easy to make design using the View & Do Hexagon Shape and the Starmaker 6 Master Template by Kaye Wood.

      Technique DVD and Pattern on sale, HERE

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/tumb_stars1.jpg

      Tumbling Stars Technique DVD

      If you want to avoid tangles and pesky little knots in your thread, just run your needle and thread through a new dryer sheet. If you fold it, you can get both sides. I promise, your thread will behave!

      Have a great week everyone, I will be back to normal by next week.
      Terrye

      http://www.kayewood.com/19.jpg