KayeWood.com Weekly Email Newsletter Week of 4.16.14 - It's Sew Emma, Hopscotch Quilts, Batting 101 and A FR** Pattern!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/1.1.jpg

      • What's On Sale - Hopscotch Quilts and It's Sew Emma
      • Fr** Pattern - Tumbling Winds
      • Quilt Batting and Backing 101
      • DVD of the Week - Illusions
      • Assateague Lighthouse Pattern
      • List Your Event
      • Flower of the Month - Daisy
      • Facebook
      • Cheery O's Quilt Pattern
      • Backpack Adventures Pattern
      • Hawaiian Hexagon Quilt on our Youtube Channel
      • This Week in History
      • Tips from our Readers
      • Readers' Show and Tell
      • More Mini Feathered Stars Pattern
      • Feathered Star Pattern

      https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash4/c35.34.438.438/s160x160/2099_61478773728_4714_n.jpg

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is looking for her lucky four leaf clover....Follow us!

      http://www.kayewood.com/twitter_four_leaf_clover.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/pinterest.jpg

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our It's Sew Emma At KayeWood.com Board on our Pinterest Site

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!

      http://www.kayewood.com/nmlwf.jpg

      Welcome to the 15th Annual Northern Michigan Lamb & Wool Festival

      September 27 & 28, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/quilt_qua_new.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/qsclogo.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/machinequiltsunlimitedlogo.gif

      Hi Quilters!

      Today at the Cabin:

      And there's more snow. I know, I know, it's Northern Michigan, deal with it. But I'm kind of over winter this year. I want green grass. I want sparkling water, And yes, I'll even take a garden full of weeds. I want buds on my fruit trees and blossoms on my cucumbers. The snow can go away and come back another day (year?) Taking the boat out on one of the big lakes, complete with cooler full of hamburgers and the fixings, a hibachi and of course your beverage of choice sounds really good right now. Take a breath and jump in. Oh yeah, that's where I'm at right now, at least in my mind. But, spring on the farm is crazy busy. Later this week there will be baby chicks. I do love me some baby chicks. Probably no more large animals this year, but lots of plans to expand the gardens.......

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ba-icaseslg.jpg

      New in the Shop...iCases Pattern.... HERE

      This week we have a few of our quilting fabrics left. $4.00 a yard in 1 yard cuts; while they last. It's Sew Emma and Hopscotch Quilt Shop patterns are featured this week. Don't forget all of our clearance and HURT items too.

      Remember.... orders over $50.00 are fr** shipping (US only, sorry)

      Go HERE for all of our sale, hurt and clearance items.

      Lots of cool new stuff on our New Page too!

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ise-heirloomkansasmed.jpg

      Heirloom Kansas City Star Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/hqs-cannerymed.jpg

      Cannery Row Quilt Pattern

      Regular price is 12.50

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/roundofbuttonsmed.jpg

      Round of Buttons Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/mittensmed.jpg

      Mittens Mittens Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/cobbmed.jpg

      Cobblestone Lane Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ise-vintagedaysmed.jpg

      Vintage Days Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ise-patchworkforestmed.jpg

      Patchwork Forest Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ise-primitivetrailsmed.jpg

      Primitive Trails Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ba-laptopcomputercasemed.jpg

      Laptop Computer Carrier Case Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ba-cellphonecameramed.jpg

      Cell Phone/Camera Case and Wallet Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ba-aplaceforeverything-med.jpg

      A Place For Everything Organizer Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/avsc-doublefeatherestarmed.jpg

      Double Feathered Star

      On Our What's New Page

      FR** Pattern....

      Tumbling Winds by Kaye Wood!

      HERE

      The winds and sagebrush that tumble across the prairie will lull you to sleep as you create your own personal haven in your bedroom. These Quarter Quilts and coordinating pillows are easy enough to make, and fast too, with Kaye's techniques, that you can change them out as often as you change your mind. Tumbling Winds uses the View & Do Octagon Shapes as well as the Starmaker 8 Master Template (sold separately) Tumbling Winds

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/tumbling_windslge.jpg

      Quilt Batting and Backing 101....

      Ever been overwhelmed by the variety of batting (or wadding) options available to quilt stores? This week I'm going to talk about the different kinds of batting and which projects they are best for. And, as always - feel free to weigh-in. I love when you do because I haven't tried every product or technique. For example, has anyone out there used the Bamboo batting? What did you think?

      Basically the definition of a quilt is a blanket made of a top (front) and back with a layer of batting sandwiched in between and held together by some kind of stitching through all three layers. Today we are going to discuss choosing batting and backs.

      There is a wide variety of quilt battings available on the market. Like everything else, the variety can get overwhelming so I'm going to break down some of the differences so that you can pick the batting best suited to the project you have in mind.

      The two most relevant factors in choosing a batting are Loft and Fibers.

      First off - Loft. This means how thick or thin your batting is.

      Low Loft = thin and High Loft = thick. Thin batting makes a thinner quilt (obviously) but it works much better for a running stitch whether done by hand or machine. High Loft batts are best for a thicker comforter-type finish where the quilt is only going to be tied.

      Fiber defines what the batting is made of. The three most common types of quilt batting are polyester, 100% cotton, and cotton/poly blend and each has it's own pros and cons. (Wool and silk are other options that are wonderful, but usually a lot pricier, so we won't discuss those here.) Another recent option is batting made from bamboo. To be honest, I don't know much about it yet. If you've used it or know more, please feel free to chime in!

      Polyester - Less expensive, better for hand-quilting (low loft), doesn't need to be quilted as closely together. Tends to shift when not quilted closely and 'beard' (which means the polyester fibers migrate through the fabric to the outside of the quilt).

      Cotton - Feels like a thick flannel. Better option for machine quilting. Generally must be quilted closely. Washes better without pilling. Shrinks slightly. (This can be good or bad, depending on your personal preference. I personally like when the batting shrinks after the first wash because it softens the quilt and gives it more of a vintage appearance.)

      Cotton blend (usually 80% cotton/20% polyester). Very similar to the cotton option, but is less-expensive and doesn't shrink as much. Good for machine quilting. This is what I use most often.

      Batting can be purchased by individual size or big sewing stores will also let you buy it by the yard. Batting goes on sale often at the big box stores. I always stock up then - or use those 40% off coupons. Save your batting scraps. It's very easy to whip-stitch (largish) scraps together.

      Size: you want your batting to be slightly larger than your quilt top (front) and slightly smaller than your quilt back. In other words the backing should be the biggest.

      Now let's talk backs. Most fabrics come 42-44" wide, which is perfect for baby or crib quilts. For larger quilts you will need to piece your back - meaning you will need to sew yardage together. Some fabric companies do make fabrics that are 90" (or more) wide if you don't want to piece a back. A pieced back can be as simple as one seam, using the same fabric for the whole back or complex with multiple fabrics and seams. Just so long as it's a few inches bigger on all sides than your front, you're fine. The reason a back needs to be bigger is because you're usually quilting from the top of the quilt and the batting and backing can shift slightly underneath. The extra inches are your insurance policy that your back doesn't suddenly become smaller than the front.

      This article courtesy of Amy Smart at Diary of a Quilter

      DVD of the Week....

      Illusions Technique DVD from the ebook Strip Cut Quilts

      Watch Kaye use jewel tones to create her Illusions Quilt, from the ebook Strip Cut Quilts.

      Technique DVD on sale, HERE

      Ebook on sale HERE

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/illusionsd.jpg

      Strip Cut Quilts EBook

      Illusions Quilt Technique DVD

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/zp-assateagueislandlg.jpg

      Assateague Island Lighthouse Block Pattern

      List Your Event....

      Spring Retreat, Main Street Quilt and Thread Guild, April 24-26, 2014, Round Rock, TX

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/daisey-la.jpg

      Flower Of The Month For April....

      Daisies Pattern

      LOVE Daisies!

      Click on More Details to watch this technique.

      More Details

      On Our Sale Page

      A Note About Facebook....

      Our daily Facebook Deals are better and better every day. 4 or 5 different deals each day and they're all on our sale page Best to check the sale pages every day to make sure you're not missing out on anything, or better yet.... sign up for our Facebook page.

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/col-cheeriosmed.jpg

      Cheery O's Quilt Pattern

      on our What's New Page