KayeWood.com Weekly Email Newsletter Week of 2.5.14 - Cutting Stars With Kaye's Starmakers and Prairie Quilt Mercantile!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/1.1.jpeg

      • What's On Sale - Prairie Quilt Mercantile
      • What's New
      • Facebook
      • Our YouTube Channel
      • Reader's Questions
      • General Quilt Maintenance
      • Tufted Titmouse Pattern
      • Straddling Snowboy
      • This Week in History
      • Caribbean Quilting Cruise
      • Straddling Horse
      • Ain't She Sweet Pattern
      • Reader's Show and Tell
      • Cutting Stars with Kaye's Starmakers
      • Paypal
      • Pantry Purses - DVD of the Week
      • List Your Event
      • Flower of the Month - Basket of Forget Me Nots

      https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash4/c35.34.438.438/s160x160/2099_61478773728_4714_n.jpg

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird loves playing in the snow....Follow us!

      http://www.kayewood.com/twitter_ice_skating.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/pinterest.jpg

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Prairie Quilt Mercantile At KayeWood.com Board on our Pintrest Site

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!

      http://www.kayewood.com/quilt_qua_new.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/qsclogo.jpg

      http://www.kayewood.com/nmlwf.jpg

      Welcome to the 15th Annual Northern Michigan Lamb & Wool Festival

      September 27 & 28, 2014

      http://www.kayewood.com/favecrafts.gif

      Hi Quilters!

      Today at the Cabin:

      Since a lot of you probably don't care to know of the specifics of my homesteading ideas, I'll skip the part about rendering suet and mixing it with scratch grains to feed to my chickens. LOL, suffice to say I have happy chickens!

      The eggs are coming on, more and more every week and the snow is still piling up. Seems like when the days finally decide to start to get longer it's pretty noticeable!

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wpc-dragonreaderlg.jpg

      New in the Shop...Dragon Reader Book Sling!

      This week we are featuring the entire Prairie Quilt Mercantile Line of Patterns. These are gorgeous quilts, in classic colors, perfect for the person who doesn't care for the flowery or whimsical designs.

      Go HERE for all of our sale and clearance items.

      Lots of cool new stuff on our New Page too!

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pqm-saskatoonmed.jpg

      Saskatoon Pie Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pqm-delectablemed.jpg

      Delectable Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pqm-blackmed.jpg

      Black Rock Ferry Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pqm-antiquedmed.jpg

      Antiqued Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pqm-bigskymed.jpg

      Big Sky Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/lovemed.jpg

      Just 2 Tea Towels Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/helovesmemed.jpg

      He Loves Me Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/bohemian-butterfliesmed.jpg

      Bohemian Butterflies Quilt Pattern

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/apq-windstormmed.jpg

      Windstorm Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/abb-gomodmed.jpg

      Going Mod Quilt Pattern

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wb-littlehootowlmed.jpg

      Little Hoot Owl Patternlet

      On Our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wb-gourdmed.jpg

      Gourdy Patternlet

      On Our What's New Page

      A Note About Facebook....

      Our daily Facebook Deals are better and better every day.4 or 5 different deals each day and they're all on our sale page Best to check the sale pages every day to make sure you're not missing out on anything, or better yet.... sign up for our Facebook page.

      This Week On Our Youtube Channel....

      http://www.kayewood.com/kwtv_seam_matching.jpg?v=KD2TiBHvZ4k

      Shown here: Seam Matching Techniques from the book

      Everyone Can Quilt (on sale this week HERE

      See the video HERE

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/ecqlg.jpg

      Reader's Question....

      Can you help?

      We found some old quilts that have yellowed. Is there a way to remove the yellow?

      Send me your advice and suggestions, HERE

      We got lots of suggestions for this reader!

      • Try soaking in Borax solution for several hours or even overnight. Be sure to rinse well after the soaking.
      • Biz. Follow the directions and soak, soak, soak
      • Borax can be used to strengthen cotton fiber. Make sure to use Borax. Mix with an oxygen type bleaching product such as oxy-clean. Soak and use a color absorber just in case there is a run, hopefully there would not be one. If I was truly desperate and I suspect a food stain I would add an enzyme as well (Biz)
      • Oxyclean

      General Care and Maintenance of your Quilts, from Alice in Ontario, Canada

      The yellowing may possibly have been caused by contact with wood in a chest, closet shelf or dresser drawer. Wood releases acids which causes yellowing.

      Begin by airing your quilt outside on a sunny day to restore freshness. Do not hang on a clothes line. Ideally lay it flat a bed sheet on a deck or patio. To remove dust, vacuum with a nylon stocking over the end of vacuum hose and hold the hose slightly above the top of the quilt. If the quilt has beading, embroidery or applique, do not vacuum. You could damage the work.

      Quilts require special care during cleaning. Do not dry clean or machine wash the quilt the yellowing you describe was possibly caused by contact with wood in a chest. The wood releases acids which causes yellowing. Dry cleaning chemicals can permanently harm old fabrics and the agitation action of a washing machine can cause fibers to shred.

      You can hand wash the quilt but don't feel comfortable doing it yourself search for a qualified quilt conservation or restoration service. Ask how they will clean the quilt and their level of experience. Any cleaning done to antique fabrics could damage or destroy your quilt. Based on the monetary and personal value of the quilt, you may decide to leave it as is rather than risk destroying a priceless piece of work.

      If you feel that you quilt must be washed, hand wash only. begin by checking the fabric for colorfastness. Testing is simple, wet a piece of white cloth with cold water and gently rub it over each different color or fabric in your quilt. If there is any color transfer to the white cloth, don't wash your quilt at all. Washing will result in discoloration and fading.

      If you have hard water or iron bacteria in your water source, you should use distilled water for washing your quilt. You don't want to risk having minerals stain your fabric.

      To hand-wash, fill a deep, laundry sink or bathtub with cold water. Be certain that the sink or tub is very clean and has no residue from cleaning agents that could cause damage to the quilt. Use a liquid detergent that is gentle and free of dyes and perfumes such as Ivory snow or woolite . Dilute the detergent-and 1/2 cup vinegar in the tub first before adding quilt to ensure even distribution of the liquids. The liquid detergent will disperse in the water and leave less residue on the fabric. The white vinegar in the water will  brighten colours and soften the quilt.

      Place your quilt in the water, being certain that the entire quilt gets wet. Gently move your quilt around in the water. Allow the quilt to remain in the water for about 10 minutes. Next, drain the wash water and fill the tub again with fresh water. Repeat draining and refilling the tub until the water and quilt are soap free - clear water and no suds.

      Drying the Quilt

      Proper drying is key to keeping your quilt at its best. Wet quilts must be handled gently. Pulling can break seams and cause damage. The quilt will be heavy and should be dried flat. To lift the quilt from the tub, use a white sheet to create a sling. Allow the excess water to drain than place a plastic shower under the quilt on a bed of heavy towels. Cover with more towels and roll up to absorb water. Move the quilt to another bed of dry towels, spread out flat and allow to dry. Placing a fan in the room will help to speed the process.

      If you have space, place a sheet on the grass outside and spread out the quilt. Cover the quilt with another clean sheet and allow to dry. Do not dry in direct sunlight, which can cause fading, without the top sheet in place. Never suspend a wet quilt from a clothesline. This causes too much stress on seams and cause tearing and can displace batting.

      How to Store A Quilt

      If you plan to store your freshly laundered quilt, be certain it is completely dry. Allow an extra 24 to 48 hours for drying before storing. One of the best ways to store a quilt is on an extra bed. Keeping the quilt flat will eliminate creases and wear on folds. Simple cover the quilt with a clean sheet or bedspread.

      If flat is not an option, store the quilt in a cotton or muslin bag or in an acid-free box. Do not store in the attic or basement where moisture and temperature levels will fluctuate. Before you fold the quilt, use acid-free tissue paper as padding to prevent sharp creases. You can also roll your quilt around an acid-free tube and slip it in a cotton bag.

      If you are storing your quilt in a wooden box or dresser, wrap it in the acid-free tissue to avoid contact with the wood. Oils and acids in the wood can cause spotting and damage. Once a year, bring your quilt out of storage to air and to check for damage. Refolding will also prevent permanent creases and damage.

[...]

      To hand-wash, fill a deep, laundry sink or bathtub with cold water. Be certain that the sink or tub is very clean and has no residue from cleaning agents that could cause damage to the quilt. Use a liquid detergent that is gentle and free of dyes and perfumes such as Ivory or woolite . Dilute the detergentand vinegar in the tub first before adding quilt to ensure even distribution of the liquids. The liquid detergent will disperse in the water and leave less residue on the fabric. Add 1/2 cup white vinegar to the water to both brighten colors and soften the quilt.

[...]

      Materials to be avoided when storing quilts are:

      Plastic bags and other plastic containers

      Cardboard boxes

      Spaces to be avoided when storing quilts are:

      Attics

      Basements

      Quilts need to be in a climate controlled area and show be aired minimum once a year and re folded in a slightly different manner to prevent creases and crushing of fibres .

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wb-tuftedtitmousemed.jpg

      Tufted Titmouse Applique Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wb-straddlingsnowboymed.jpg

      Straddling Snowboy Applique Pattern

      on our What's New Page

      This Week in History, Jan 30-Feb 6

      Feb 05, 1994 - Beckwith convicted of killing Medgar Evers

      Feb 06, 1952 - Elizabeth becomes queen

      Feb 07, 1964 - Beatles arrive in New York

      Feb 08, 1943 - Americans secure Guadalcanal

      Feb 09, 1971 - Satchel Paige nominated to Baseball Hall of Fame

      Feb 10, 1996 - Kasparov loses chess game to computer

      Feb 11, 1990 - Nelson Mandela released from prison

      http://www.kayewood.com/104.jpg

      New Cruise Scheduled - Quilting Cruise To The Caribbean....

      It's a Sewing and Quilting Cruise - March 30, 2014

      Do you like to make quilts? Do you enjoy being with other quilters?

      Is it fun to take quilting classes? How about some new sewing techniques?

      Now you can take a cruise and take quilting classes from Kaye Wood and Veronica Cox and sewing classes from Emma Seabrooke and Mary Carollo.

      Kaye loves to teach quilting classes and loves to cruise.

      To date, she has taken quilters on 19 cruises to the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Alaska, Mexico and New Zealand.

      Just what is a sewing and quilting cruise?
      We are just a small group aboard a big ship.

      While at sea, we have sit-and-sew classes, lectures, demonstrations, show & tell, sharing. Non-sewing people have all of the ship's programs, shopping, entertainment and special events. So if you bring your spouse, family members or friends, there will be plenty for them to do while you sew & quilt.

      When in port, there are all of the usual tourist things to do.

      And all of the supplies for classes are furnished - Janome sewing machines, rulers, rotary cutters, mats, irons, fabric, etc. So you bring no sewing supplies.

      So come on board on the Round Bobbin Sew Fun Cruise to the Eastern Caribbean.

      We will leave Ft. Lauderdale on March 30, 2014 for 7 nights of fun and sun on Celebrity's new ship, Silhouette.

      Our ports of call will be St. Maarten, St. Kitts and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

      Just call Bonnie at Cruise One   800-784-4480 and you can be part of this fun adventure.

      Complete class details at www.roundbobbin.com

      http://www.kayewood.com/cruise-ship.jpg

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/wb-stradhorsemed.jpg

      Straddling Horse Applique Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      https://www.kayewood.com/item_images/alq-aintshesweetmed.jpg

      Ain't She Sweet Pattern

      On our New Page this week

      Show and Tell....

      http://www.kayewood.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/159737118003283595_Pqp4ZUkL_c.jpg

      Another Bead It Forward Quilt Project

      New York Glass Bead and Jewelry Guild....

      Cutting Stars With Kaye's Starmaker 6 Master Template

      HERE

      http://www.kayewood.com/97.jpg

      We Now Accept PayPal....

      http://www.kayewood.com/paypal.jpg

      DVD of the Week....

      Pantry Purse Technique DVD

      Grab those potholders and placemats from the kitchen, there's a new use for them! See how you can make a beautiful Pantry Purse with all the accessories you need from these wonderful kitchen delights. Instructions will also show you how to make items such as these; a checkbook cover, jewelry keeper, sewing kit, cosmetic bag, just to name a few. The Pantry Purse makes quick and inexpensive gifts for everyone

      Technique DVD on sale, HERE

      Pantry Purses Pattern on sale HERE

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/pantrypursesbig.jpg

      Pantry Purses Pattern

      Pantry Purses Technique DVD

      List Your Event....

      A Day With Kaye Wood, Blue Sky Quilters, Monday February 17, 2014 - 10 am to 3 pm, Mesa AZ, Vista Village (Ranchos Community Centre) , 233 N ValVista Dr, Mesa AZ 85213 quilt.junkie@..., $25.00 includes Seminar, Lunch and Door Prizes.Bring cash for a "Beer Ticket Raffle" of a quilt!

      http://www.kayewood.com/105.jpg

      Flower Of The Month For February....

      Basket of Forget Me Nots Pattern

      Forget Me Nots are so romantic, and you'll love them nestled in this basket. Add beads to make this block sparkle! Joan's Petal Play technique makes it so easy! Size 22''X22''

      Click on More Details to watch this technique.

      More Details

      On Our Sale Page

      http://www.kayewood.com/item_images/forgetlg.jpg

      Have a great week everyone!