Kaye's Quilting Friends Email Newsletter, April 5, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Online Newsletter. April 5, 2004

      Kaye Wood's Quilting and Sewing Online Newsletter

      Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***Tuesday, April 5th.***

      Well, it's official. I'm convinced spring has arrived here in Michigan. The snow has melted, the ice is gone and I finally saw robins in my yard this weekend! The skies have been a beauuutiful blue and it's great to see flocks of ducks and geese heading north again. All of these signs are good indicators but I was truly convinced, when I drove by a field this morning and there peeking through the dead, brown foilage, was the prettiest color of green I've seen in a long time! I had to swipe my eyes twice but I wasn't seeing things, it was actual grass peeking out! Now, before you know it my daffodils will be blooming and the sweet scent of lilacs and apple blossoms will be filling the air! Ahhh spring! It comes too late and ends too soon, so enjoy it while you can!

      Bi-weekly Special

      Our special for the next two weeks features a great tool and book by our own Kaye Wood! When you purchase Kaye's View and Do Circle Shape for $15, you can also purchase the companion book, Circles Made Simple, for $5 which is 50% off the retail price! Check below for more information on these great products!

      All sale prices will be adjusted in the office.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Kaye's View & Do Circle Shape is the must have tool for anyone who does fussy cutting, scrap booking or any kind of craft. Made of hard plastic, which makes it suitable for rotary cutting, it has 4 removable pieces that make it easy for you to make circles of 2, 4, 6 and 8 inches. They nest inside each other, so you don't ever have to worry about losing one. View your fabric in a totally new way depending on which size you choose. This shape can be yours for $15 plus s/h.

      This book will have you hitting the target....right in the bull's-eye as a matter of fact. By our own Kaye Wood, we bring you Circles Made Simple, featuring bull's-eyes made from circles. This book is packed with information and 17 different projects to choose from. Kaye also has 3 applique techniques, fray away edges, faced edges, turned under edges and 2 cutting choices. Try the hot new fray away edging for a unique look to your quilt or lined circles for borders. The best thing is you can get this great book for half price when you purchase the View and Do Circle Shape. That's a savings of $5 to you, so order today!

      Monthly Special

      I don't know about you, but I love to get something free. I call on TV offers, shop on buy 1 get 1 free days, free is fun! So to put a little fun into your month, we're going to give you something free. When you make a purchase of $10 or more, we will send you a View-A-Strip for absolutely FREE! No additional cost, no additional shipping will be added to your order. Now, this is how the View-A-Strip is unique. It lets you view fabric as it will look after it is cut and sewn into strips. The View-A-Strip has a viewing range from 1/2 up to 3 inches wide. Especially helpful for large floral prints, patterns and striped fabric. Avoid time consuming stitch removal by viewing it before you sew it! No need to do anything special. We will automatically add Kaye's View-A-Strip to any order of $10 or more before s/h.

      Free with a purchase of $10 or more, before s/h.

      Questions and Answers with Kaye

      Q: I'm not quite sure when, I think about a year ago, you ran a question and answer bit about stabilizers. Could you please put that in again?

      A: You have a great memory, so here you go, enjoy!

      Stabilizers, oh need I say more? While usually stabilizers do not send me into a verbal frenzy, they do confuse the heck out of me. So straight from the horses mouth or the Sulky web site whichever you prefer, I give you a little information on stabilizers.

      WHY USE STABILIZERS?

      Q: Why do we use stabilizers in general?

      A: We use "backing" stabilizers to relieve the stress placed on the fabric being embellished; they reduce or eliminate puckering, tunneling, or other unwanted reactions. Some can be used alone as the foundation on which our creative machine work is done.

      We use "topping" stabilizers to help hold down the nap of some fabrics, to keep stitches from sinking into some fabrics, to enhance the clarity of fine lettering and detail stitching, or as a pattern, stencil or template to follow when stitching or painting.

      WHAT KIND DO I USE?

      Q: Which stabilizers should I use?

      A: Be sure the stabilizers you use allow garments to move and bend when the wearer does, while providing sufficient stability to stitch a high quality embroidered design or creative technique on the fabric.

      Depending on the project, we will choose a stabilizer that may be placed either in the hoop, under the hoop, or stuck to the hoop; it may be ironed on, pinned in place, or adhered with Sulky KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive. You'll know when you have the right stabilizer topping or backing because stitches lie perfectly without sinking into the fabric, all parts of the design or project are positioned perfectly because the fabric doesn't slip during stitching, and your stitched project doesn't sag, pull or pucker.

      CONFUSED?

      Q: Wow, this is confusing, how do I sort it out?

      A: In our book, Sulky Secrets to Successful Stabilizing, we have a chart called, "Beginner's Guide to Machine Techniques for which Sulky Stabilizers are used". This will simplify the confusing world of stabilizers for you. In this chart we list techniques, (such as Battenburg Lace, Buttonholes, Cutwork, Decorative Stitching, Appliqué, Liquid Stabilizing, Monogramming, 3-D work, Trapunto and many, many more) and the suggested stabilizer for each technique.

      There are no hard and fast rules in the stabilization process anymore. We have so many choices, and our consumers keep finding more and more ways to do it "right". This book also tells you all about all nine stabilizers, as well as KK 2000 and Puffy Foam. It has charts and graphs to help you choose the right needle, fabric, stabilizer and thread for each job. Many of these hints were contributed by embroidery professionals around the world. If you are a beginner in machine embroidery, I cannot recommend it highly enough. In addition, it's not just a dry informational book. There are over 25 step-by-step full color projects and ideas, and tips from over 35 sewing professionals. This 136 page book also makes a great gift for your sewing friends.

      Where In The World Is Kaye?

      Kaye just finished up her session and Kramer's Sew & Vac, and can't say enough about all the kind people she met and the fun she had! Thanks to all for making Kaye, Brenda and Lori feel so welcome and to everyone involved in making this a smashing event!

      A big "hello" to the North Coast Needlers Guild! Kaye is looking forward to meeting everyone from the North Coast Needlers Guild in Westlake, Ohio! Get ready ladies, ready to have lots of fun when Kaye gets there! It's a guaranteed good time!

      Westlake, OH

      North Coast Needlers Guild***4/5/05

      Paducah, Kentucky

      AQS Consumer Show***4/20/05 thru 4/23/05

      1-502-898-7903

      http://www.twebeads.com/shows.html

      Caribbean

      Round Bobbin Quilting Cruise***5/8/05-5/15-05

      1-800-473-9464

      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      West Branch, MI

      Caroline's Sewing Room***5/21/05

      1-989-345-9180

      Fennimore,Wisconsin

      Southwest Wisconsin Technological College

      6/3/05 - 6/4/05

      Free program schedule available after April 1st.

      e-mail: jkilian@...

      Cincinnati, OH

      Sew & Quilt Craft Expo***6/24/05 thru 6/26/05

      www.pcmexpo.com

      To check out more scheduled events for Kaye, just click on the link below.

      Links

      For links to some useful information found on our web site, click here:

      www.kayewood.com/funlinks.html

      If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to let us know. We're always looking for new ideas and areas of interest. Some we can use, others we can't, but at least it helps to give us an idea. Just click the link below and thanks!

      email: terrye@...

      Copyright 2005 Kaye Wood, Inc.

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at (800) 248-5293, Monday -- Friday, 9-5 p.m., EST.

      Mailing address:

      Kaye Wood, Inc.

      © 2005 Kaye Wood, Inc.