KayeWood.com Quilting and Sewing Newsletter Week of 5.15.13

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2013

      • Legacy Designs - On Sale This Week
      • What's New in The Shop
      • DVD of the Week
      • A Note About Our Facebook Sales
      • This Week in History
      • VHS Copies of Kaye's Quilting Friends
      • You Tube
      • Princess Pattern
      • Arizona Quilters
      • How To Store Quilts
      • Craftsy
      • Australian Cruise
      • Y-Seams
      • Q and A With Kaye
      • New FR** Pattern - Looking Through The Windows
      • Strip Quilting Projects Boo 10 in German
      • Show and Tell
      • Quilting Events

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is hanging in her favorite tree, waiting for you.....Follow us!

      We're on Pinterest Now!</ strong>

      Check out Legacy Designs on our Pinterest Site

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      Today at the Cabin : VACATION!!! Well, a working vacation actually. The girls of KayeWood.com will be away from the office from this afternoon (Wednesday) until the following Wednesday. We will be answering email and voice mail, so feel free to leave us a message, we'll get back to you, but orders won't ship out until next Wednesday.

      This week Legacy Designs is our featured designer.

      Go HERE for all of our sale items, including clearance items.

      Lots of cool new stuff on our Check It Out Pages too!

      May Holiday House Quilt Shop Pattern

      Regular Price $12.00

      Sale Price $9.00

      Don't forget to check out our Clearance Items and hurt items too. Lots of stuff on sale this week.

      Check it out....
      All on our SALE PAGE

      Jewels of Spring Quilt Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $8.50

      Sale Price $6.00

      Broad Street Quilt Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $9.00

      Sale Price $7.00

      May Flower Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $5.99

      Sale Price $3.99

      Bread Steamer and Server Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $8.00

      Sale Price $6.00

      Insulated Cold Pack Market Bag Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $8.50

      Sale Price $6.50

      Corn on the Cob Steamer Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $6.00

      Sale Price $4.00

      4 Layer Cake Quilt Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $8.50

      Sale Price $6.00

      Casserole Kimono Pattern

      HERE

      Regular Price $8.00

      Sale Price $6.00

      New In The Shop - Purse Patterns from Purse-O-Nalities....

      Sandra Sue Purse Pattern

      In Our Check It Out Section

      You CAN Take It With You Purse Pattern

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Traveling Purse-O-Nality Pattern

      In Our Check It Out Section

      The Purse-o-Nal Organizer Pattern

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Sassy Bag Technique DVD

      Regular price - $12.00

      This week - $5.00 in our Sale Pages!

      DVDs of the Week....

      Sassy Bag Quilt Technique

      If you are shopping, traveling or just prefer not to carry a big, bulky purse, the Sassy Bag is for you. Big enough to carry the essentials, small enough to lie firmly next to your body, it's the perfect bag for the woman on the go. This bag has 2 inner pockets and one pocket on the back. Use some funky fabric and make a bunch for all the girls you know; quick and stylish too, the perfect gift for anyone.

      Size: 8" x 9".

      Get the DVD HERE (on sale for $5.00)

      Get the pattern HERE (on sale for $6.00)

      A Note About Facebook....

      We have a lot of facebook specials going on every day, so the sale prices won't show up in the shopping cart, nor will they show up in the order confirmation, but when you mention the ads in the comments section of the shopping cart we will only charge you the sale prices.

      This Week In History....

      May 15 is.....National Chocolate Chip Day!
      May 14, 1804 Lewis and Clark depart
      May 15, 1937 Madeleine Albright is born
      May 16, 1929 First Academy Awards ceremony
      May 17, 1954 Brown v. Board of Ed is decided
      May 18, 1920 Pope John Paul II born
      May 19, 1935 Lawrence of Arabia dies
      May 20, 1873 Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive patent for blue jeans

      Miscellaneous copies of Kaye's Quilting Friends and Quilter's Toolbox shows in VHS format.

      Note - First Come First Served, and please let us know, in the comments section of the shopping cart, which episode or project you're looking for.

      No Returns! Once they're gone, they're gone!

      On our SALE page

      Shown here is Star Spangled Quilt using Kaye's Starmaker 5, 6, and 8 Master Templates!

      See the video HERE

      Buy the book, Everyone Can Quilt and get the DVD FREE!!

      HERE

      Princess Quilt Pattern - Brand New!

      Princess quilt pattern includes full size patterns, full size placement sheets, and instructions to make the six block 60" x 86" version or the 19 1/2" x 43" wall hanging version shown below. Also includes the full alphabet to customize for the princess in your life. The technique is fusible applique.

      Get yours HERE!

      Attention Arizona Quilters....

      "Anybody in the Arizona area interested in learning how piece one of Kaye's patterns?

      Friday, May 17th, 9 am till 4 pm, cost $40.00.

      Save the date, and go HERE for more info.

      Sharon Voorhies slv1056@...

      How To Store Quilts....

      1. Quilts should be aired or vacuumed before storing. Use a low suction hand vac with a nylon screen to protect it from harmful pull. When airing, be sure the quilt is laying flat, protected from soil, and not in direct sunlight.

      2. The ideal storage is a flat surface, properly lined with acid free material, large enough to have its own space.

      3. When folding, use crumpled acid-free tissue in the folds for support. Refold the quilt every 3-6 months to minimize permanent fold lines. Rolling quilts is an option, but it does place stress on the entire quilt.

      4. If the storage unit is made of wood or cardboard, it should be lined with several layers of washed, 100% cotton fabric. This is necessary to protect the fabric from chemicals in the wood or paper. Cotton liner should be washed semi-annually.

      5. Covers of pre washed 100% cotton sheeting, muslin, pillow cases, or acid-free tissue paper are strongly recommended. These materials allow air to pass through and keep light and dust out. Plastic is not advised.

      6. Keep the storage area clean and insect free. The herb Artemisia is a natural pesticide. Hang in the storage area or in a small bag. Do not let the bag touch the quilts!

      *Information from AQS

      Craftsy....

      Prefer to pay by Paypal? Well, now you can get any of our E-Patterns and E-Books in our Craftsy Shop and pay via Paypal!

      New Quilting Cruise To Australia!

      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way
      2014 Land Tour/Cruise to Australia and New Zealand
      January 17, 2014 - February 4, 2014

      Quilters Get out your Bucket List.
      If you always dreamed of going to Australia, this is your chance.
      And you get to go with fellow quilters. It doesn't get any better than that.

      7-Day Land Tour and 11 Night Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Voyageur of the Sea

      For more information about the Land Tour/Cruise, contact Carillon at Panda Travel
      602-943-3383 or 800-447-2632 email Vacations@...

      Go HERE for more info....

      Y-Seams....

      They're not that hard and Kaye shows you how in our YouTube Channel

      HERE

      Here's a free tip sheet on Kaye's easy way to do Y-Seams!

      Q and A With Kaye....

      Q: Our church group had a hand pieced quilt top, machine quilted. The quilt top is about 2" squares and some of the fabric is not the best. We are now having trouble with wavy bindings. Any hints on how to fix this problem?

      K: Cut the bindings on the straight of grain and sew with the binding on top. Make sure the binding is full as it is wrapped around. That should help with the problem.

      Q: I am trying to find a way to print a drawing onto black fabric so I can stitch the drawing. Do you know of a method where I can actually draw, or print the design/picture on black fabric in white ink?

      K: There are many quilting transfer pencils and chalks offered by Clover or Sulky to draw on fabrics. They come in white, silver and many other pastel colors. Most will brush or wash off. You should be able to pick one up at any quilt or craft store.

      Q: Some of the fabric I have purchased for scrap quilts seems nice until it is laundered. Afterwards, it becomes real thin and flimsy. Should this be used in a quilt or would it be advisable to just count it as a learning experience. Would it help if I used a very thin stabilizer or interfacing? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

      K: If this is meant to be a good quilt, I would chalk it up to experience. It will have no lasting power to it and when you wash it, there's a good chance it will become even more thin and flimsy. Plus, a thinner fabric like that does not hold stitches as well. If you are determined to use it, you could try spraying it with Magic Sizing. You can find it in the laundry aisle and will help your fabric have a little more "body" to it.

      New Free Pattern....

      Looking Through The Windows

      HERE

      A scene (fabric or embroidery) is fussy-cut and viewed through an octagon shaped window.

      Strip Quilting Projects Book 10 in German! In Our Clearance Pages

      Regular Price was $12.00, On Sale For $6.00

      56 pages - In German!

      This book has it all with over 61 projects and techniques to choose from. Every project starts with five strips, ranging from light to dark shades of the same color group. These combination strips can be cut into strips of squares, rectangles, triangles or diamonds, to create a new pattern each time! Design shapes include pinwheels, rail fence, bargello, tumbling stars and chevrons, to name a few. Some of the patterns included are Trip Around the World, Starburst, Mountain Glory, tablerunners and placemats. Techniques include fabric preparation, measuring, cutting strips, sewing and pressing accurately, matching seamlines, borders, batting tips, envelope finish, layering, basting, machine quilting, hanging and mitered bindings. Uses Starmakers® 5, 6, and 8 (sold separately).

      Show and Tell....

      This pattern is Kaye’s� Pinwheel Hearts using the View & Do Hearts Shape

      ........Sandra

      List Your Event....

      Have a great week, everyone!

      Terrye and Kayla

      Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Just send any email with Subscribe in the subject line.