Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 4.10.13 - Phillips Fiber Arts, Quilt Storage and Mothproofing

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2013

      • Select Patterns, Books and Rulers On Sale This Week
      • What's New in The Shop
      • DVD of the Week
      • Notice
      • This Week in History
      • You Tube
      • How To Protect Quilts From Moths
      • Bats In The Rug
      • Charity Quilts
      • Craftsy
      • Word Scrambles Answers
      • 3-D Quilts
      • Lazy Girl Interfacings
      • FR** Pattern
      • Show and Tell
      • Quilting Events
      • Question on Quilt Preservation

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is waiting for the dandelions so she can make wine.....Follow us!

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out Chickadee Hollow Designs on our Pinterest Site

      Questions? Email Us!

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      Today at the Cabin : I am really OVER the cold and damp. It's been raining for 3 days and it's just above freezing. Tonight through Friday we're supposed to get rain with temps below freezing. That's never a good thing. But tonight is our sewing group so a temporary reprieve will be had! As for the rain, I look at it this way, it washes the salt off the roads so I can ride my bike!

      Selected Phillips Fiber Arts Patterns and Rulers are on sale this week.

      And, we've added to our "hurt" items.

      Lots of cool new stuff Check It Out Pages too!

      Check out our SALE PAGE

      Midnight Flight Pattern

      This 10 degree wedge pattern has two variations that use both ten degree extensions. Make a 70" circle or a 54" square from only one fabric! It's a great way to focus on any fabric that grades from selvage to selvage.

      Pattern Reg price $9.00

      This week $7.00

      Don't forget to check out our Clearance Items too. Lots of stuff on sale this week.

      Check it out....
      All on our SALE PAGE

      Wow! Last week we sent a FR** pattern, the Bailey Island Tote to Nebraska! Congratulations, Marie, you got your order free this week.

      This week, we'll pick another one. Tomorrow, Thursday, April 11, 2013 one lucky customer will get their order free!

      Quilts Without Corners Book

      Regular Price is $22.48

      This week is $19.95

      On Our Sale Page!

      Celestial Circle Pattern

      Regular Price is $9.00

      This week is $6.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Bargello Color Wheel Pattern and Template

      Regular Price is $12.48

      This week is $8.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      New York Beauty Book

      Regular Price is $14.98

      This week is $12.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Bronze Mosaic Pattern

      Regular Price is $9.00

      Sale Price is $6.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Star Sapphire Quilt Pattern

      Regular Price is $9.00

      Sale Price is $7.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Jewel Box Gems 5 and 10 Rulers

      Regular Price is $19.98

      Sale Price is $17.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Sundial Pattern

      Regular Price is $9.00

      Sale Price is $7.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Bali Briefcase Pattern

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Bow & Go Bag Pattern and Flip Flops Pattern

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Cindy's Casserole Carrier Pattern

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Dufflettes Duffle Pattern in 3 Sizes

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Technique DVD

      Regular price - $12.00

      This week - $5.00 in our Sale Pages!

      DVD of the Week....

      Watch Charlotte use 25 fat quarters as accents to make this quilt spectacular.

      Get the DVD on sale for only $5.00 HERE

      Get the Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Pattern on sale for only 6.00 HERE

      If you've sent in events to be posted or show and tell items and don't see them yet, we will get to them. We're working on rolling out a brand new site hopefully in the next few weeks and then we'll add all of your new stuff!

      This Week In History....

      April is.....National Pet Month
      Apr 10, 1866 ASPCA is founded
      Apr 11, 1814 Napoleon exiled to Elba
      Apr 12, 1861 The Civil War begins
      Apr 13, 1997 Tiger Woods wins first major
      Apr 14, 1865 Lincoln is shot
      Apr 15, 1947 Jackie Robinson breaks color barrier
      Apr 16, 1943 Hallucinogenic effects of LSD discovered

      Shown here is the Spinning Diamonds Technique by Kaye Wood.

      See the video HERE

      Q: Do you know of any natural way to protect my quilts from moths?

      K: I have heard that the herb southernwood, is a natural way to keep moths away. Maybe your local herb store would have some.

      Bats in the Rug Pattern - Brand New!

      Size - 22" x 37" Use up that leftover batting! Cut it into 2 1/2" strips and layer it on fabric strips to create a really cool scatter rug!!

      Get yours HERE!

      Charity Quilts....

      I belong to a newly formed quilt guild and we have taken on the project of making quilts for chemo patients at a local cancer center I am in the search for orphan blocks that we could turn into beautiful quilts for these chemo patients they see about 1000 patients a year and we took 40 quilts the first round in December and they are all gone and we are trying to get quilts to them about every other month but we need other peoples help with this the response that we have gotten from the nurses doctors and patients are just overwhelming any help would be appreciated. If you send me your email i will put you in a group to see the pictures as the quilts are finished and see what a difference this has made in someone's life;

      Thanks Linda

      my email fromzstore@...

      Prefer to pay by Paypal? Well, now you can get any of our E-Patterns and E-Books in our Craftsy Shop and pay via Paypal!

      Answers to the Last 2 Word Scrambles....Thanks to everyone who played!

      • asymmetrical
      • textile
      • binding
      • sateen
      • jacquard
      • percale
      • embroidery
      • fabric
      • seersucker
      • taffeta
      • needles
      • applique
      • mola
      • cotton
      • mitered
      • broadcloth
      • stippled
      • polyester
      • thread
      • counterpane

      Hey, Kaye? What Are 3-D quilts?

      Quilts can be considered 3-D because they are or because they appear to be.
      Quilts can have the added dimension by having pieces that extend above the surface of the quilt, or the quilt can appear to be 3-D because of the way the colors are used (3-D look).

      Pieces that extend above the surface of the quilt can be appliqued or pieced.

      Applique pieces need to be finished by facing the piece with another fabric or by leaving the edges raw. These pieces extend (the edges are not sewn down). For instance with a flower, the center might be sewn to the quilt, but the leaves and/or flowers might be only attached at the stem. I have used this 3-D applique technique in my patterns "Stained Glass Diamonds", "Life in the Meadow", and "Tumbling Winds".

      Pieced 3-D can be accomplished by folding the fabric and inserting the raw edges into the seam lines. The fold would extend above the quilt. A square folded diagonally might be used in pinwheel designs, such as my pattern, "Pinwheel Squares" and "Floral Stars".

      3-D Look Quilt

      Often, this look can be accomplished with the use of color and the arrangement of color. When you think you can look into a quilt, it is usually the color arrangement that does that. For instance, in my pattern "Stacking My Blocks", the dark, medium and light colored fabrics give a -D look. In "Braided Table Runners" and "A-maze-ing", it is the arrangement of dark to light shades. In "Chrysanthemum", the medium and light fabrics make each piece of Dresden Plate seem to fold.

      Sew Lazy Interfacings....

      New and Extremely Popular!

      Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Fame has designed her own line of interfacing for those of us who quilt and sew.

      This stuff totally ROCKS!

      7 different interfacings/stabilizers for everything you need to do.

      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Face It Soft
      • Face It Firm
      • Stiff Stuff Lite
      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Stiff Stuff Firm
      • Fusi-Bond Lite
      • Dreamy Sew In High Loft Fleece
      • Check them all out HERE

      Check out Joan's Free Pattern featuring Fusible Applique On Vinyl

      using the Iron On Vinyl on our blog

      Show and Tell....

      I just finished this for my great grand daughter. (first girl, have one gr grandson a year old)
      She will enter this world the first part of Oct.

      List Your Event....

      Quilt Preservation....

      Q: I am the fourth generation to inherit all the beautiful very fragile quilt squares in my family. They are crazy quilt fashion, backed by muslin but are too fragile to even think of putting together. Someone once told me you can make a fabric book of each one by a process museums use but I don't know where to look for the information. Some of these date back to the 1800's with satin squares depicting the event and date. Hopefully I can preserve them for the next generation but am now in my seventies and decided I had better get with the program and find out how to do it. Would appreciate any help you may be able to provide!

      Please let us know how you would answer this question!

      Email me at terrye@...

      Here are more answers:

      Jacquelyn would use a plastic report cover.

      Connie would frame them for all to enjoy.

      Gloria: If i love those quilt squares I would take them to a hobby store and have them framed with the date. That way she could look at them all the time, and when it it time for them to be pass down the next person could enjoy them hanging on there wall and think of the the last person that took care of them.

      Sue suggests contacting someone at a quilt museum that has the actual hands-on knowledge of how best to do this and ask for their information and guidance.

      Annette: Maybe fuse a light weight muslin on the back of the blocks and transparent illusion on the top. Sew the blocks together, choose a backing and tie instead of quilting. This should stabilize it to be enjoyed for many years.

      Maurine: thinking of the acid in things that could ruin old quilts/squares. I wonder instead of report covers if going to the pages for a scrapbook would be safer??

      Sandy says; "There is a special quilt or fabric netting that used to be available that can be gently stitched over the fragile cloth. I haven’t bought any for years though. Please don’t store fabric in plastic as the humidity may cause mold. Write to the Smithsonian Museums in Washington, DC or your favorite local museum for specific advice."

      Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions!

      Have a great week, everyone!

      Terrye and Kayla

      Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Just send any email with Subscribe in the subject line.