Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 12.26.12 - Whew! What A Run. New Quiz and Tips on Storing Antique Quilts

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012

      • On Sale - A Round Up of all of our Holiday Sales
      • What's New in The Shop
      • DVD of the Week
      • Craftsy
      • New Quiz
      • Sew Lazy Interfacings
      • 2014 Australian/New Zealand Quilting Cruise
      • Tips - How To Store Your Antique Quilts
      • Show and Tell
      • Quilting Events
      • This Week In History
      • Kaye's on YouTube

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is getting her skates on and she's ready to hit the pond!.....Follow us!

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Quilting DVD Board

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      Remember.....any order over $50.00 ships free to the US!

      Kaye has lots and lots of seminars and teacher certification classes scheduled in Arizona. Check out her schedule HERE

      New Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show scheduled for Phoenix in January....

      Today at the cabin : It's a beautiful day outside. Too cold really to be damp and everything is frosty. We got our snow, but not a lot (not enough?), so that means skiing! And there's ice on the lakes now so ice fishing and skating are on the agenda. Soon the outdoor bonfires will start. Fish all day and sit by the bonfire at night, all bundled up, frying fish and potatoes and drinking hot cocoa and "What is in that mug???" Lol.

      And... best of all the sky is pink and you know what that means..... Bring It On!!

      This week we are highlighting some of our more popular Christmas Season sales. If you missed out on it before, now's your chance to get it, hurry though, only one week for this mega sale!

      Check it out....
      All on our SALE PAGE

      Poinsettia Candlemat Pattern

      One bag, many covers!

      Reg price $6.00

      This week $4.00

      Last week we offered a "One reader gets their order fr** today" and that winner was Jeannette of Omaha who ordered the Starmaker Master Template Set! Congratulations, Jeannette!

      So... let's do it again! All orders today, December 27, 2012 will go into a hat and we will pick out one that will get their order FR**!!

      There's no criteria for this one, no minimum order, no exclusions of international orders, nothing. ALL orders placed today, December 27, 2012 will be eligible! Good Luck!!

      And HERE

      Art to Heart Set of 8 Christmas and Holiday Themed Books

      Regular Price is $120.00

      This week is $98.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Simple Curves Template

      Regular Price is $14.98

      This week is $9.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Simple Bands Pattern

      Regular Price is $9.98

      This week is $6.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      3-D Mariner's Compass Pattern

      Regular Price is $16.98

      This week is $9.99

      On Our Sale Page!

      Starmaker 6, View & Do Hexagon Shape and Set of 5 Patterns - Save money in style. Organize your coupons, and store cards in this eas to make clutch. Bonus rewards card wallet holds even more. Fat Quarter Friendly.

      Regular Price is $64.90

      This week is $50.90

      On Our Sale Page!

      Little Quilts Squared Again Set of 12 Seasonal Little Quilts and Buttons

      Regular Price is $99.00

      This week is $75.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Tablerunner With a Twist Pattern

      Regular Price is $9.00

      This week is $6.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Classic For Moms Diaper Bag Pattern

      Regular Price is $9.50

      This week is $6.00

      On Our Sale Page!

      Be sure to check out our SALE PAGE for all of our recent sale items!

      New In The Shop....

      January Penguin Pattern

      Button pack also available for this very cute seasonal Little Quilt

      In Our Check It Out Section

      February Dog Button Quilt Pattern

      Button pack also available

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Sailboat Trio Pattern, Moose Trio Pattern, plus more.

      New "Trio" Patterns by Jeri Kelly, plus a "How To" on our Youtube page.

      In Our Check It Out Section

      Lazy Girl Tips and Technique DVD

      Regular price - $24.95

      This week - $10.00

      DVD of the Week....

      Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl offers this handy 60 minute DVD features a collection of demonstrations that Joan Hawley has done while appearing on the TV show Kaye's Quilting Friends. 7 techniques to help make your Lazy Girl projects a success.

      Featured techniques:

      • Sew easy zipper
      • Embellishing with ribbons
      • Cutting oversized pieces
      • No-fear zipper
      • Mock felted purse
      • Tips for turning
      • Sturdy shoulder straps

      Craftsy....

      Prefer to pay by Paypal? Well, now you can get any of our E-Patterns and E-Books in our Craftsy Shop and pay via Paypal!

      Sew Lazy Interfacings....

      New and Extremely Popular!

      Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Fame has designed her own line of interfacing for those of us who quilt and sew.

      This stuff totally ROCKS!

      7 different interfacings/stabilizers for everything you need to do.

      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Face It Soft
      • Face It Firm
      • Stiff Stuff Lite
      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Stiff Stuff Firm
      • Fusi-Bond Lite
      • Dreamy Sew In High Loft Fleece
      • Check them all out HERE

      Summer Tote Pattern and Bag-E-Bottom Set

      Regular price is $18.00

      This week $ 12.00

      New Quiz....

      Send me an email (terrye@...) with your answers and you just might win a fr** book!

      1. True or False: Fabric remnants are usually under a yard long.

      2. What is a bolt?

      • A very large pin used for making upholstery
      • 3 yards of fabric
      • the tube or sheet the fabric is wrapped around
      • a tool for holding your fabric down while sewing.

      3. True or false: On any kind of fleece, the selvages stretch more than the other two sides.

      4. True or false: Fleece is sold all year round.

      5. What is NOT a brand name of thread:

      • Sulky
      • Coats & Clark
      • Nature's Natural
      • Guterman

      6. Warm and Natural is a kind of.....

      • Batting
      • Fiberfill
      • Pillow form
      • Fleece

      2014 to Australia and New Zealand Quilting Cruise

      Click HERE for Info

      February 2014 Quilting Cruise....

      Quilters, add this to your Bucket List—a Quilting Cruise.

      Many quilting teachers have gotten into the cruising mode to combine quilting classes with cruising. What could be better? Visit exotic ports, shopping for fabrics, travelling with other quilters, 3+ meals a day, someone to clean up your cabin while you relax and take quilting classes while at sea.

      Has this ever happened to you? A late night phone call from a man with an Australian accent asking if you would like to cruise the Caribbean with him. This happened to me in 1989. Of course, I said “what did you say?”. Was this one of those phone calls I had been warned about? So, being curious, I said “tell me more”, thinking I should just hang up on this obscene phone call. He turned out to be a travel agent who wanted to put together a quilting cruise with me as the featured teacher. I had no idea how this worked, assuming it was legitimate. Never having been on a cruise, I called my friend, Jane, from Florida who had been on several cruises; she agreed to join me and also teach some on-board classes.

      Since all of our work is done on a sewing machine, we would need sewing machines. How do we go about doing that? We got our first taste of dealing with customs, because sewing machines are made outside the US; and we were taking these machines out of the country and then bringing them back. Problem solved—the Viking sewing machine company, which was the major sponsor for my PBS-TV show, Strip Quilting, came to our rescue; they furnished the machines and also sent one of their educators on the cruise. Little by little, everything fell into place.

      In 1990, our first quilting cruise left port with fourteen of us, including three teachers and husbands.

      We have grown over the years until now we average about 85-120 quilters on each cruise, many of whom have returned several times. And the rest is history. I have become addicted to cruising as well as being already addicted to quilting. What a great life! And to think, I almost hung up on what I thought might be an obscene phone call, but instead was a life-changing event.

      What cruise stories I could tell—about machines blowing up, losing machines in customs, “George” (who came along on our cruise in a box), about shopping in the water, buying molas in the San Blas Islands of Panama. Many of these stories have become part of my quilting lectures and are also included in my book, Everyone Can Quilt.

      In February of 2013, we will return to the Western Caribbean for my 14th quilting cruise; this time on the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas.

      A big celebration is being planning with my 15th quilting cruise in February of 2014 with a combination 22-day land tour and quilting cruise to Australia and New Zealand.

      Click HERE for more details!

      Tips on How To Store Your Antique Quilts by Pamela Wiggins of the Antiques Board at About.com

      1. The best way to store a quilt is by spreading it on an unused bed and placing an everyday coverlet over it. Quilts can be layered on a bed. This storage method keeps quilts safe from dust and light, while reducing stress on the vintage fibers that can result from folding.
      2. If you do need to fold a quilt, spread it face down between two well-worn white cotton sheets and fold in a pleated accordian fashion. While storing flat is best, folding in this manner helps to reduce stress on old fabrics and reduce the likelihood of tearing.
      3. Limited space may dictate storing a quilt under a bed safely sealed in a Rubbermaid-type container. Just be sure to fold the quilt in the accordian manner recommended above and making sure it is completely void of moisture before placing it in the container.
      4. If you are going to store a quilt by hanging it on a wall, a good method is sewing a four inch wide tube or sleeve of fabric along the top back edge and stitching every inch or so through all layers of the quilt. You can then attach it to a wall or other display area easily with a sturdy rod.

      Tips:

      1. Materials used in manufacturing plastic bags, cardboard boxes, and wooden trunks and chests can all react with quilting fabrics. These should be avoided when storing quilts. If reactions occur with plastic bags, cardboard or wood, they can cause quilts to become fragile, prone to tearing or even stain them.
      2. When using a Rubbermaid or similar container for storage, make sure the textile is completely dry to avoid mildew from moisture trapped in the container.
      3. If you're hanging the quilt on the wall for the summer season, be sure distribute the weight evenly over the entire width to avoid stressing the fabric. Don't plan to store a quilt on a wall for more than six months.
      4. No matter how or where you store your quilts, avoid sunlight. All light damage to textiles is irreversible.

      The entire article is HERE

      Thanks, Pamela!

      Show and Tell....

      I made this mini quilt so the little doll I made would have something to keep her warm. The center of the star is the challenge fabric we were all given.

      .......Maureen

      Send is your creations. Include a picture or two and a short story about your quilt/tablerunner or wallhanging (or other) and we'll put it on our Show and Tell Page!

      Send to terrye@...

      List Your Event....

      This Week In History....

      December is.... National Hi Neighbor Month, National Stress Free Family Holiday Month, Bingo's Birthday Month, and Read A New Book Month
      Dec 27, 1932 Radio City Music Hall opens
      Dec 28, 1895 First commercial movie screened
      Dec 29, 1890 U.S. Army massacres Indians at Wounded Knee
      Dec 30, 1922 USSR established
      Dec 31, 1999 Panama Canal turned over to Panama
      Jan 01, 1959 Batista forced out by Castro-led revolution
      Jan 02, 1980 U.S.-Russia detente ends

      Are you having problems with a particular video? Let us know what you are experiencing and the name of the video so I can check it out!

      Have a great week, everyone,

      Terrye and Kayla

      Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Just send any email with Subscribe in the subject line.