Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Week of 12.12.12 - Kaye's Patterns and Tools Are On Sale And One Lucky Customer Will Get Their Order FR**!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2012

      • On Sale - Kaye's Templates, Shapes and Patterns!
      • What's New in The Shop
      • Seam Matching Tips from Kaye
      • TwinStar Mega Sale
      • DVD of the Week
      • Craftsy
      • Have You Heard....
      • Sew Lazy Interfacings
      • New Quiz
      • Australian/New Zealand Quilting Cruise
      • This is the Iron I Want
      • Show and Tell
      • Quilting Events
      • This Week In History
      • Kaye's on YouTube
      • December Is

      "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is getting her Christmas On.....Follow us!

      We're on Pinterest Now!

      Check out our Kaye's Template/Shape and Pattern Sets Board

      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Newsletter Free!Quilting, Sewing and Crafts Expos

      Any order over $50.00 now ships free to the US!

      Kaye has lots and lots of seminars and teacher certification classes scheduled in Arizona. Check out her schedule HERE

      New Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show scheduled for Phoenix in January....

      Today at the cabin : Snow! Snow, Snow and more Snow. It's definitely quilting weather and we've got some awesome sets to get you started!

      This week all of Kaye's Starmaker Master Template Pattern Sets and View & Do Shape Pattern Sets are marked down even further than usual.

      What are Pattern Sets? With these incredible deals, you get the Template or Tool, as well as a selected assortment of patterns that are used with that tool or template. Their normally discounted price gives you the patterns for only $4.00, but this week, we've got them marked down even further!

      Check it out....
      All on our SALE PAGE

      Hey, did you know?

      Today is National Ding A Ling Day! lol

      Ok then.....

      Special Deal Just For Today...

      One order placed today, 12.12.12 will be FR**!!

      Hurry and place your orders to be included in this contest....

      Alert Alert Alert...

      Christmas Sales Are Here!

      Hang in there with us, this is the only time of year you will get more than one newsletter a week.

      You will get our main newsletter with all the trimmings on Wednesdays, and a shorter newsletter, to catch you up with our awesome holiday sales on Mondays and Fridays.

      Keep an eye out, we've got some pretty cool ideas lined up for you!

      What's On Sale....

      Kaye’s Pattern and Tool Sets

      All this and MORE on our Sale Page!

      Starmaker 8 Template and Set of 7 Patterns

      On Our Sale Page!

      Starmaker 6 Template and Set of 10 Patterns

      On Our Sale Page!

      Starmaker 5 and Set of 3 Patterns

      On Our Sale Page!

      View & Do Diamonds Shape and Set of 5 Patterns

      On Our Sale Page!

      Be sure to check out our SALE PAGE for all of our recent sale items!

      New In The Shop....

      Tips From Kaye....

      Seam Matching

      Interlocking Seams are easy to match. The top seam allowance is toward the needle (away from you). The bottom seam allowance is toward you.

      Your sewing machine will help you match interlocking seams. As you sew, finger pin (hold the matching seamlines together). The machine pushes the top seam into the center of the bottom seam and locks it into place.

      Finger Pinning seams is an easy way to match your seams. Hold the two seamlines together with your fingers until the needle is close to the seam. Remove your fingers before sewing over the seam. Do NOT sew over your fingers, that would be painful.

      Pinning seams works too! Put the pin into the seamline on the top fabric, through to the seamline on the bottom fabric. Bring the pin up through the bottom seamline to the top seamline. Do not sew over the pins. Instead remove each pin as the needle approaches it.

      TwinStar Mega Sale...

      Kaye’s TwinStar Jacket Pattern is the star of this show, but wait, you also get

      • Vests To Dye For
      • Terrific Triangles
      • Serger Patchwork Projects
      • Sunny Skies
      • Patchwork Pyramids
      • Starring The Eagle
      • Savage Star
      • Sensational Seminole
      All in all there are 7 patterns and 2 books in this collection.

      Hurry and get yours HERE

      NOTE - these will be shipped media mail.

      View and Do Shapes Technique DVD

      Regular price - $9.95

      This week - $5.00

      DVD of the Week....

      View and Do Shapes and Starmaker Master Templates Technique DVDs.

      Learn from the pro! These technique DVDs are half priced this week, your chance to see firsthand how Kaye cuts and sews her shapes and angles with her tools!

      Starmaker Technique DVD

      Regular price - $21.95

      This week - $10.00

      Craftsy....

      Prefer to pay by Paypal? Well, now you can get any of our E-Patterns and E-Books in our Craftsy Shop and pay via Paypal!

      Have You Ever Heard....

      "The tent in the middle of the star will quilt out"

      No, It Won't!

      "A star needs to have a button in the middle because the points don't quite match."

      No, it doesn't!

      "You have to take one or two stitches by hand to close up the hole in the center." Or, "You have to rip out one or two stitches in the center of the star so it will lay flat."

      No you don't!

      Stars become easier and the centers lay flat when the angles are accurate and the seams are anchored.

      The Starmaker Master Templates ensure the accuracy, and my technique of anchoring eliminate the problems with the center of the star.

      The Starmakers can be used to cut many different shapes.

      How Can You Strip Cut Diamonds For Stars?

      It is possible to cut patterns you already have with the Starmaker Master Templates.

      Take a look at the diamond template given with any particular pattern you want to make. Lay one of the Starmakers on your template. Don't worry about the size. If the angle is the same as any one of the angles on the Starmakers, that angle can be used to strip cut the diamond.

      You need to know two things:

      • The size of the template and
      • the angle of the diamond.

      Size: The size of the diamond is determined by the width of the strip. To measure the size (height) of the diamond, imagine it lying on a strip and measure the height.

      This is the strip width needed to cut this size diamond. The top and bottom edges of the trip become the top and bottom of the diamond.

      Angle: The angle is cut with one of the Starmaker Master Templates.

      Sew Lazy Interfacings....

      New and Extremely Popular!

      Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Fame has designed her own line of interfacing for those of us who quilt and sew.

      This stuff totally ROCKS!

      7 different interfacings/stabilizers for everything you need to do.

      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Face It Soft
      • Face It Firm
      • Stiff Stuff Lite
      • Iron On Vinyl
      • Stiff Stuff Firm
      • Fusi-Bond Lite
      • Dreamy Sew In High Loft Fleece
      • Check them all out HERE

      New Quiz....

      Send me an email with your answers, we will pick one winner who will be sent a FR** book!

      1. What is the normal width of a 100% cotton calico?

      54", 40", 60", 45"

      2. What type of material tends not to wash well in any temperature?

      polyester, acetate, rayon, nylon

      3. True or false: In order to gather the edges of a garment, it would be easier to baste first.

      4. True or false: When making a skirt with elastic at the hips or waist, you should subtract 5" from your actual body measurement.

      5. Which of the following is not a name brand of clothing/craft pattern?

      Leader, Butterick, new Look, Vogue

      6. How many inches are in a third of a yard?

      12, 13, 10, 15

      7: If you do not have a serger or an overlock machine, what kind of stitch would create the same effect needed?

      Stay stitch, zig-zag, baste, straight

      Send me an email with your answers to terrye@.... Every correct answer gets you one entry and I'll draw a winner next Wednesday morning. Winner will receive a copy of Kaye's Everyone Can Quilt Book!

      2014 to Australia and New Zealand Quilting Cruise

      Click HERE for Info

      February 2014 Quilting Cruise....

      Quilters, add this to your Bucket List! - a Quilting Cruise.

      Many quilting teachers have gotten into the cruising mode to combine quilting classes with cruising. What could be better? Visit exotic ports, shopping for fabrics, travelling with other quilters, 3+ meals a day, someone to clean up your cabin while you relax and take quilting classes while at sea.

      Has this ever happened to you? A late night phone call from a man with an Australian accent asking if you would like to cruise the Caribbean with him. This happened to me in 1989. Of course, I said, “What did you say?” Was this one of those phone calls I had been warned about? So, being curious, I said “tell me more”, thinking I should just hang up on this obscene phone call. He turned out to be a travel agent who wanted to put together a quilting cruise with me as the featured teacher. I had no idea how this worked, assuming it was legitimate. Never having been on a cruise, I called my friend, Jane, from Florida who had been on several cruises; she agreed to join me and also teach some on-board classes.

      Since all of our work is done on a sewing machine, we would need sewing machines. How do we go about doing that? We got our first taste of dealing with customs, because sewing machines are made outside the US; and we were taking these machines out of the country and then bringing them back. Problem solved! the Viking sewing machine company, which was the major sponsor for my PBS-TV show, Strip Quilting, came to our rescue; they furnished the machines and also sent one of their educators on the cruise. Little by little, everything fell into place.

      In 1990, our first quilting cruise left port with fourteen of us, including three teachers and husbands.

      We have grown over the years until now we average about 85-120 quilters on each cruise, many of whom have returned several times. And the rest is history. I have become addicted to cruising as well as being already addicted to quilting. What a great life! And to think, I almost hung up on what I thought might be an obscene phone call, but instead was a life-changing event.

      What cruise stories I could tell about machines blowing up, losing machines in customs, “George” (who came along on our cruise in a box), about shopping in the water, buying molas in the San Blas Islands of Panama. Many of these stories have become part of my quilting lectures and are also included in my book, Everyone Can Quilt.

      In February of 2013, we will return to the Western Caribbean for my 14th quilting cruise; this time on the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas.

      A big celebration is being planning with my 15th quilting cruise in February of 2014 with a combination 22-day land tour and quilting cruise to Australia and New Zealand.

      Click HERE for more details!

      This is the Iron I Want....

      I have used several different cordless irons over the years. My personal favorite is the Panasonic, although it does not have all the things I want in an iron. E-mail both Panasonic and Janome to tell them you want the iron Kaye Wood wants: Cordless, NO steam (the bottom completely flat with no holes), no auto shut-off, Teflon bottom, in a heat-proof fabric carrying case which opens into a pressing mat. This iron would be ready to take to class and could be packed up while still hot.

      Show and Tell....

      I am a fairly new quilter and this is the first finished quilt that I have made. I began it a quilt camp in February 2009 for my husband [So he would like me going again this year] and finished it on Christmas morning. I used the pattern Diamonds of Yellowstone and View and Do Diamond Shape.

      .......Diane

      Send is your creations. Include a picture or two and a short story about your quilt/tablerunner or wallhanging and we'll put it on our Show and Tell Page!

      Send to terrye@...

      List Your Event....

      This Week In History....

      December is National Read A New Book Month!
      Dec 12, 1980 - Da Vinci notebook sells for over 5 million
      Dec 13, 2000 - Al Gore concedes presidential election
      Dec 14, 1911 - Amundsen reaches South Pole
      Dec 15, 2001 - Leaning Tower of Pisa reopens
      Dec 16, 1773 - The Boston Tea Party
      Dec 17, 1903 - First airplane flies
      Dec 18, 1620 - Mayflower docks at Plymouth Harbor

      Are you having problems with a particular video? Let us know what you are experiencing and the name of the video so I can check it out!

      Have a great week, everyone,

      Terrye and Kayla

      Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Just send any email with Subscribe in the subject line.